JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok let me know your pick?
And which model you would purchase and why?

Noveske Recon or SPR?

LMT Defender piston or gas?

Other Brand?

The gun is for fun - no zombies but maybe a jack-rabbit or two, yotes and the ever terrifying sage rat.

I was all set to buy a 10.5 Noveske, until I read a thread on ar-15.com ( http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/553961_Expecting_too_much_from_Noveske_.html ) about 30 pages long. I also wanted to support a local company. There were some QC issues that when you are paying that kind of money you don't expect to see. He gave them a chance to make it right and he was sent a worse one as a replacement. When you are paying that much for that last 3% of quality you expect it to be there. I have since decided to go with Daniel Defense.

People Btching and moaning over finish meh. Noveske and LMT are what they are due to how they run and work. If I wanted a basic M4 style I'd go LMT, if I wanted a different configuration Noveske since they have a few other options (or use the LMT as a base).

I have several Noveske AR's and I have experienced only excellent service from them and the quality of the AR's is top-of-the-line and the accuracy is only limited by the shooters abilities.
This was not one of your options, but I would recommend the 16" Light Recce W/VIS chrome lined barrel for general purpose shooting and simple barrel cleaning. For high round count, high temp, heavy shooting, Noveske recommends the chrome lined barrel.

If you are more concerned with precision shooting, I would recommend the 16" Recon 5.56mm W/VIS. Yeah, I like the VIS. For use in any precision application, Noveske recommends the stainless barrel for its edge in accuracy and excellent reliability.

For general purpose shooting pick either Noveske or LMT, you can't go wrong with either. I prefer Noveske for several reasons.
1) They are an Oregon manufacturer and I can support local, especially great quality local products.
2) You can order the AR configured exactly as you want it. You can tweek the components on the AR to your liking prior to ordering. This saves me money replacing components that I don't want.

If you aren't planning on changing out the buttstock or upper receiver assembly rails and LMT offers the configuration that you like and if it saves you a few bucks in the process go with the LMT. The LMT SOPMOD is a desirable buttstock and LMT uses highest quality components.

With regards to choosing a barrel length......
The following is a quote from John Noveske from his website:
"Barrel lengths and caliber selection are determined by the following factors: weapon weight, maximum required range, terminal ballistic requirements, ammunition supply, and vehicular or mission-based length maximums. In my opinion, a shooter should try to select the shortest barrel possible to accomplish the given task. Short barrels are very accurate because of their relative rigidity compared to a longer barrel of equal diameter. I don’t subscribe to the school that thinks short barrels burn powder at differing rates; if that were true, the velocities would differ on the longer barrel as well. Also, in most cases, the fastest load out of a short barrel will be the fastest load out of a long barrel. Adding barrel length only increases velocity, which translates to increased range. If you have a barrel length maximum, but require greater terminal ballistics, choosing a larger round may be a good answer. There are too many anecdotes to list here. I like the saying, "Overkill is an oxymoron, there are many levels of wounded, but only one level of dead." Choose what you realistically think you will need, and err on the lighter/smaller side."

I was all set to buy a 10.5 Noveske, until I read a thread on ar-15.com ( Expecting too much from Noveske? - AR15.COM ) about 30 pages long. I also wanted to support a local company. There were some QC issues that when you are paying that kind of money you don't expect to see. He gave them a chance to make it right and he was sent a worse one as a replacement. When you are paying that much for that last 3% of quality you expect it to be there. I have since decided to go with Daniel Defense.

That thread is BS. The OP bought a "second" from a vender, not from Noveske. Noveske does not sell uppers or lowers in private parties. They sell them to venders because they did not meet their requirements.

I would take Noveske over LMT any day, and model.

I would rather have a LMT over a Noveski. I currently have a LMT CQB MRP (Monolithic Rail Platform) Defender 16 in 5.56 NATO which is one of my favorite rifles. LMT offers MRP chrome-lined barrels in 10.5-, 14.5- and 16-inch lengths, and makes stainless steel barrels in 16 and 18 inches that can be changed out quickly. LMT mfgs individual components, subassemblies and major assemblies for large, medium and small-caliber systems for the U.S. government & other AR15 assemblers.

You can pick up a GI CQB MRP for around $1500 if you look around. I'm into my rifle w/ QD mount & premium grade Optics what I would have paid for a medium grade Noveski.

My Rifle w/ PEPR QD Mount & Trijicon Accupoint:

I just bought the gas piston version of the LMT rifle Iceburg shows above (LMT CQB MRP Defender Piston 16 5.56). I am very happy with it. I am no guru but I don't know why a guy would regret owning the LMT. I put several hundred rounds through it this morning. A true dream to shoot.

I just bought the gas piston version of the LMT rifle Iceburg shows above (LMT CQB MRP Defender Piston 16 5.56). I am very happy with it. I am no guru but I don't know why a guy would regret owning the LMT. I put several hundred rounds through it this morning. A true dream to shoot.

I traded off my LMT MRP piston rifle last year when I was going thru a short lived HK accumulation phase. I really regretted trading that rifle off, so when I found my like NIB GI MRP rifle available locally at a very good price I had to snap it up; LMT really does make great rifles.

Thanks for the input, I may be leaning Noveske.

I am kind of suprised about favoring the 16" barrel over the 18".

Those that have Noveske rifles, what kind of accuracy are you getting sub moa? 1/2 moa? (match ammo of course)

I have not sold Noveske yet but I do have friends that have them and they love them. I also have had customers rave about their LMT. I m not sure if one is completly better than the other. I think its just like some people love Fords and others love Chevy. I have had comments about getting SUB MOA out of their Noveski's. If you want a really nice gun, go with a LWRC, Very expensive. It just comes down to the shooter on how well it shoots, along with the right ammo which may take a while to play around with it. One of my best customers and very good friend which I call a freak, shoots in long range comps and shoots regularly out to 1000 yards about every week. Besides his bolt action rifles for those occasions, he uses a Rock River and is deadly accurate with that thing farther than I would care to comment. I think you are going to be happy with either one you choose. Lets face we all want to be the Spec Op boys but for what we do. I think most of the rifles are more than capable to do what we want it to do and more.

8ball since you've bashed LMT I'm really curious why??? I'd still go LMT hands down against others all day. I mean you must know more than the multiple countries now fielding the MWS and the many involved in training who go to LMT every day.

LMT MWS in poppy field
LMTMWSPoppyField.jpg

Lets break this down here.This guy own this company also?
I mean he must sit next to god,for some of you...but

First he doesn't buy into the barrel length BS and powder burn rates
I don't subscribe to the school that thinks short barrels burn powder at differing rates; if that were true, the velocities would differ on the longer barrel as well. Also, in most cases, the fastest load out of a short barrel will be the fastest load out of a long barrel. Adding barrel length only increases velocity, which translates to increased range.
States barrel lengths velocities will be the same
Also, in most cases, the fastest load out of a short barrel will be the fastest load out of a long barrel. Adding barrel length only increases velocity, which translates to increased range.

Then states
Adding barrel length only increases velocity, which translates to increased range

So which is it? Does the barrel length help or not with velocity? Isn't his statement on both sides of the fence?

Like I said he's only the owner

You self professed experts can boohoo the "lower tier" guns all you want,but my lowly Stag is very accurate and will most likely last me a life time.
And it's pure BS that you can find the so called "top tier" guns for only $100 more.And don't compare the 'seconds' to firsts.That's shows you are just buying to have the name on the side (with a DPMS LPK inside lol)

Mjb- Send me a PM and I'll get you some LMT pricing and you can decide :)

Stag is one of the better middle of the road guns. With that I mean they're good guns and they'll generally work and function great, just not quite the quality of some others. Stag, well CMT, supplies ALOT of companies with parts. Only a few truly make their parts in house.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top