JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Is the US going to be as prepared as China was for dealing with a significant outbreak here. China went through this type of event more than once and they have more authoritarian methods of controlling their populace. When was the last time the US Gov, shut down and quarantined a large city or State like China has?

Last Edited:
The outbreak is now reported in Pakistan, Algeria and I'm sure it will appear in other countries lacking resources to deal with it. This is getting my attention, especially since I saw three people walking around Astoria wearing masks yesterday. I was just visiting, and there was probably a lot more than I had actually seen. What do those people know or think. How did they get information or a request to "mask up". Just they're own intuition... fear? Astoria is first stop for trans-Pacific ships.

I've been following this guy (Winston) for years.
This wasn't easy for him.

Yes, he is spot on. Beijing had an estimated population of around 20 million. Estimated, because there are millions...millions of homeless migrant workers living under the radar. The coal dust in the air is so thick that you taste it with every breath. Corruption is built in to every aspect of society.

Look to the 2008 malamine baby formula scandal to see how much they care about their own people. The only reason the Chinese government took any action in that incident was to save face and maintain power. When you are only allowed to have 1 child, and that child dies or is permanently damaged due to government incompetence, people will start to resist. Same-sies for this outbreak.

Deng Xiaoping theory was just an excuse to maintain power and enrich the ruling class. The dichotomy of the people is so bizarre, like a bad fever dream. They suffer so much, but when it was announced Beijing was going to host the Olympics, people were crying with joy, filled with nationalist pride. I still struggle with that image.

Iran's official death count may be under reported:
Yesterday it was reported that Canadian researchers, using a computer model, estimated that total infections in Iran must be closer to 23,000:

China went through this type of event more than once and they have more authoritarian methods of controlling their populace.
Human rights group says quarantine being used to starve Uighurs:

Iran's official death count may be under reported:
Yesterday it was reported that Canadian researchers, using a computer model, estimated that total infections in Iran must be closer to 23,000:

Don't governments know that information will always get out? This ain't the good ol' days of killing the messenger and burning the letter.

Best just be transparent, before we all learn how opaque they really are...and hate them for it.

Believe it or not......that the "Wuhan Virus" (aka: Coronavirus) is a real problem or not.....

My GF doesn't want to go on your scheduled vacation trip to Japan and S. Korea (that was suppose to begin in March). Satistically....blah, blah, blah... Anyway, it's a well known fact that.....it's useless to argue with a woman.

So then....
Anyway, I've taken steps to cancel the trip and I'm trying to recover as much $$$ as I can.

For the record.....
Of the four Airlines that I had scheduled to be used for the vacation......well, United Airlines had the best response (since I was suppose to go to Inchon). United Airlines allowed me to reschedule w/o change fees (as long as the new trip was booked using UAL, before the anniversary date of the initial purchase date). Of course, if the new trip costs more, I have to make up for the short fall.

I'm still working (or trying to work) with the other three airlines. But at this moment......it doesn't look good. Oh well. So, roughly.....I'll be losing 2/3 of the cost of my tickets (for the entire trip).

And.....I don't even want to think about this week's stock market/retirement fund losses. Yeah, for the record....I do believe that it will come back at a later time.;)

Aloha, Mark

PS...forgot to mention, that I also took a booking loss for a hotel reservation in S. Korea.

Believe it or not......that the "Wuhan Virus" (aka: Coronavirus) is a real problem or not.....

My GF doesn't want to go on your scheduled vacation trip to Japan and S. Korea (that was suppose to begin in March). Satistically....blah, blah, blah... Anyway, it's a well known fact that.....it's useless to argue with a woman.

So then....
Anyway, I've taken steps to cancel the trip and I'm trying to recover as much $$$ as I can.

For the record.....
Of the four Airlines that I had scheduled to be used for the vacation......well, United Airlines had the best response (since I was suppose to go to Inchon). United Airlines allowed me to reschedule w/o change fees (as long as the new trip was booked using UAL, before the anniversary date of the initial purchase date). Of course, if the new trip costs more, I have to make up for the short fall.

I'm still working (or trying to work) with the other three airlines. But at this moment......it doesn't look good. Oh well. So, roughly.....I'll be losing 2/3 of the cost of my tickets (for the entire trip).

And.....I don't even want to think about this week's stock market/retirement fund losses. Yeah, for the record....I do believe that it will come back at a later time.;)

Aloha, Mark

Eh, it's probably a prudent decision. At the very least you could be risking having to come back in a quarantine for an extra 2 weeks when it spreads in South Korea and Japan.

Is this a typo or what?

"The CDC on Friday reported 459 confirmed cases in the United States."

Edit: Looks like they fixed it. Never mind.

Is this a typo or what?

"The CDC on Friday reported 459 confirmed cases in the United States."

Edit: Looks like they fixed it. Never mind.

That's the sort of thing that, from China, would have screamed "cover-up."

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR