JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I will tell you what I think happened in Wuhan China, based on my experience in China and my (limited) knowledge of Chinese culture.

This is just my 0.2c and it's worth what you paid for and partially informed by the article that @DB is Here linked.

In my experience many Chinese people do not look at Western medicine or doctors the same way we do. There is a large % of the population that have an ingrained distrust in modern medicine as well as the doctors/nurses themselves. This causes them to seek alternative medical treatments that we would often mock in Western society.

I believe what happened is that as the corona virus mutated from some animal vector and was able to infect humans, it spread fairly rapidly given it's make up and mostly mild symptoms. People with pre-existing issues (pneumonia etc) turned to alternative medicine and/or were too stubborn to go to the hospital as they got sicker.

When folks finally started showing up they were in really bad shape, the medical staff probably initially thought this was their underlying condition worsening and combined with their age didn't raise a lot of initial alarm.

As the volume began to increase they realized there was likely another underlying issue and that was when testing began.

When they identified the problem as the corona virus and communicated it, it began to cause wide spread panic in Wuhan. It's almost certain at this point that the medical staff became overwhelmed by the number of people inundating the hospitals.

The truth is a huge % of those folks showed up with what were probably "mild" symptoms and when they were began confronting the doctors who were trying to trage their resources they got angry (you can see many videos online of folks shouting at doctors or nurses saying they aren't doing anything etc). As a result hospital services were likely denied or unavailable in many cases to those that actually needed it.

At this point the Chinese government tried to contain the virus by essentially isolating Wuhan. The Chinese government thought, this thing can't get to Shenzhen or Shanghai or Beijing etc.

Wuhan while large, is not nearly as important of a manufacturing hub as other areas. At that point the Western world saw what an authoritarian regime can do when they put their mind to it.

Western media basically flipped out at their response, thinking this thing has to be the next bubonic plague for them to have reacted so. That's not the case at all, the CCP would have been fine sacrificing the entire population of Wuhan (~11MM) if it meant containing the virus and not shutting down manufacturing in the more modern sectors and hurting their economy. They could easily hide the death toll if necessary and who's going to challenge them otherwise, even if the real number got out?

11MM in China is a drop in the bucket to the population, but it got out anyway because of the nature of the virus.

That's what I think happened in Wuhan, but this is just my opinion.
That's pretty much my own conclusion after living and studying abroad in Beijing. China took a lot of worldwide criticism of their handling of SARS, and that probably played a role. Their response, totally textbook and shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

Good reminder that if panic like that happens here over this, your own government, even your neighbors will do the same. It won't be this disease that will do the damage. Prep with that in mind. Our government, just like theirs, is filled with know nothing, emotional, overreaction machines.

On the bright side, I am FEMA certified. I can save you all some good eats when the concentration trailers roll in.
:s0093:

At the end of the day, some of us will agree and some won't.
But please read through all of the excellent points of view on both sides of the argument that's already been posted... it's the same thing over and over it seems.
Thanks for doing the moderators' job for them.

That's pretty much my own conclusion after living and studying abroad in Beijing. China took a lot of worldwide criticism of their handling of SARS, and that probably played a role. Their response, totally textbook and shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

Good reminder that if panic like that happens here over this, your own government, even your neighbors will do the same. It won't be this disease that will do the damage. Prep with that in mind. Our government, just like theirs, is filled with know nothing, emotional, overreaction machines.

On the bright side, I am FEMA certified. I can save you all some good eats when the concentration trailers roll in.
:s0093:

I really liked @Dwesson viewpoint, and I hope he's right.

I think China put a lid on it and censored those trying to bring it to light because they were afraid it would scare off foreign investing and hurt their economy. Until it boiled over, and then they took extreme measures to try to prove to the world that they are taking care of it.

They haven't updated their figures very much over the last couple weeks. They want everyone to just go back to work and deal with it.
So if the CCP can skew the numbers lower, and have the bonus of it spreading as a pandemic, the world will stop looking at them and it won't matter to investors as much because the whole world has it now.

And that's just my opinion, based off of the fact that the only way communists can solve problems is by killing people.

There were new epicenters of infection cropping up all over China, that were showing infection growth as fast as it was in Wuhan.

Then it suddenly stopped growing? I find that hard to believe!

Time will tell I suppose, now that the western world has it and we should see accurate numbers that are more trustworthy than the crap the CCP puts out.

And that's just my opinion, based off of the fact that the only way communists can solve problems is by killing people.

It's the CPC way...

Sorry (not) - I grew up with a front row view of Mao's China and the CPC and all it entails. To this day. China is an un-apologetically COMMUNIST country. They are not capitalists (democratic) rather - they have financial incentives that sway production decisions and lure capitalistic investments to suit THEIR needs. Bootleg foods? Counterfeit Amazon rip-offs on the daily? "Trust"? really? How many here still front for China's honor in the face of hundreds of military, intelligence and Intellectual Property thefts?

The entire Chinese empire is one big Ponzi scheme and it's falling as we speak. Every word from them falls of deaf ears. They have no interests at all outside of self-interests. Bethlehem is gone. Pittsburgh is gone. We sold our collective souls years ago for cheaper prices. Grandpa was right.
And we know it. That's where the fear comes into play - and that's understandable. But that fear and nervousness is no reason to justify China's truthfullness - or lack of it. They have declared the US an enemy years ago - but hey, they got money...

This is a big deal.
China is not an ally.
The Media has their own motivations...

Think for yourselves.

Last Edited:
While I think checking/topping up your preps and reviewing your sanitation procedures is a good thing to do as a responsible citizen. I can't help but see the mass media are, for the most part, covering this like they cover a school shooting.
Lots of conjecture to fill in missing facts and spinning/omitting the sparse facts they do have, to fit their pre-determined objective.

Sorta Like how in the movie "Jurassic Park" they fill-in the missing DNA info with some other reptile's to arrive at an exaggerated pre-determined result that ends up biting folks in the A55....!!........except the media pretends it never happened, then they'll just find a new "threat" to "cry wolf" about.

So, is there a real wolf THIS time?
or, is this just going to be another shiny object?

Hope for the best, prepare for the beast,.

Hawaii is different everthing comes in by boat and takes alot longer to re supply than the mainland, they only have about a 3 or 4 day supply of goods on the insland at any time, my dad lived there for 8 years, hawaii gets alot of disasters or warnings from hurricanes, sunami, volcano its fairly common to have a run on goods. Most everybody who has lived there a while has a small stockpile. Not trying to down play but in hawaii this is much more common occurrence.

Last Edited:
Well now I feel better... :rolleyes: NYT always tells it like it is...

My 2 cents - I place no validity in that single and dubious article. I read it 3 times. So many holes... But hey, what ever make one feel good I guess.
China has been on media lock down for an entire week... Last seen - randoms snagged off the streets for no mask, folks welded into their apartments, mass fogging of entire communities with unknown "disinfectants", entire villages warding off strangers, a nationalization of a US factory for masks, yada yada yada... Too much more to list.

But now this! So warm and fuzzy and so timely! I feel much better now. :confused:

edit: No - I'm actually quite perplexed now... Do you really put that much faith in what a random Chinese official quoted in a NYT article has to say right now? Is that your proof or validation? Really? Trust the Chinese? You said you do a lot of work there. Quite connected and familiar with their business and societal practices... Me, too.
Do we *really* need to discuss what we both know to be true? There is no 'faith' in business there. Quite the opposite. Trust the PRC? Really?

The NYT is incentivized to make it sound worse not moderate it. It hurts Trump and the economy.

I trust the numbers outside of China but they seem similar if not more innocuous than China.

And Iran...

And now Saudi Arabia has locked down Mecca and Medina.

Last Edited:
"The coronavirus has appeared in 10 new countries – Brazil, Denmark, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Norway, Northern Macedonia, Pakistan, Romania and The Netherlands"

Not in this article, but Nigeria and Lithuania also reported first cases today, both travellers returning from Italy.

How many N95 mask did they have?

Ref: Walmart. I was just on their website and all of their suppliers are on backorder. What is happening is price gougers are buying up masks and reselling them for exorbitant prices. Kinda reminds me of the .22 shortage just a few years ago. Hoarders and price scammers. The government would like to stockpile 300 million masks for healthcare, emergency workers. When worn these need to be changed out on a daily basis. Problem is, the US doesn't have the capacity to manufacture that amount.

... So, unlike most of the more established folk on this forum, we live light. It's not within our abilities to simply amass years worth of stuff for the apocalypse doom and gloom. If I think that a for-real quarantine would happen to Beaverton and it would last for 4 weeks, then I'm buying 12 weeks of stuff and calling it a day. Y'all might see that as a gamble, but it's the best we can do...

No need to stock up for "Doom and Gloom", however if you enjoy saving money & time, buying bulk and stocking up when stuff is on special is a great way to do it.

Buy what you use, use what you buy.

If you don't use what you buy, your not saving money. Your throwing it away.

Super easy to stock up for a month, AND save money.

Have a feeling you'd need to stock up beyond that? Do so. Just do so wisely

Again, buy what you'd normally use.

Remember that you won't be spending whatever amount you normally would weekly/Bi-weekly, because you've already stocked up.

So budget & plan accordingly.

$$ saved. By buying bulk & on special when poss.

Time saved (less errands daily, Bi weekly, weekly-whatever).

Less exposure over time to other folks, specific to this current situation.

More $$ for savings & more time for anything else.

Excluding folks whom enjoy grocery shopping. Surely there are folks whom enjoy doing so. Every day. However, not us!

No need to stock up for "Doom and Gloom", however if you enjoy saving money & time, buying bulk and stocking up when stuff is on special is a great way to do it.

Buy what you use, use what you buy.

If you don't use what you buy, your not saving money. Your throwing it away.

Super easy to stock up for a month, AND save money.

Have a feeling you'd need to stock up beyond that? Do so. Just do so wisely

Again, buy what you'd normally use.

Remember that you won't be spending whatever amount you normally would weekly/Bi-weekly, because you've already stocked up.

So budget & plan accordingly.

$$ saved. By buying bulk & on special when poss.

Time saved (less errands daily, Bi weekly, weekly-whatever).

Less exposure over time to other folks, specific to this current situation.

More $$ for savings & more time for anything else.

Excluding folks whom enjoy grocery shopping. Surely there are folks whom enjoy doing so. Every day. However, not us!

I actually do prefer to hit the farmers markets on a weekly basis to see what's fresh and go week by week. Fresh food is just so good to cook with and eat.

When my wife and I moved up here, we moved into a 500 sq. ft. Studio. We now have a pantry for the first time in about 3.5 years.

I have to say, it's nice having space to store a few things.

Best to check with the authorities on such. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization.

As to the US, there are several states with confirmed cases right now. Several in Spokane Valley, of all places.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads