JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Funny.... The mere mention of a mag ban and some here crash Magpul and buy up all they can at the drop of a hat.

But then poo-poo any and almost all concerns over this virus...

Nobody here has any idea or interaction with this or its victims...
But yet, "The panic over this virus is largely being perpetuated by the media and China's lack of transparency."

You mean the people actually dealing with the effects and illnesses? The same country so uptight about their public image, they locked down entire provinces with a larger population than the US? Why would they take a multi- trillion dollar hit to their economy doing this? Just, "media hype"???

Italy seems to be taking it seriously...
Japan, too.

Everyone here is allowed to react to this as they individually see fit. You don't see a problem? Cool. Telling others who seem more concerned that, "The flu is just as bad..." is not responsible and incorrect. Countries don't lock down borders and refuse billions in commerce and trade just because, "muh... just a flu."

This thread is going to age like old milk.

Funny.... The mere mention of a mag ban and some here crash Magpul and buy up all they can at the drop of a hat.

But yet, "The panic over this virus is largely being perpetuated by the media and China's lack of transparency."

You mean the people actually dealing with the effects and illnesses? The same country so uptight about their public image, they locked down entire provinces with a larger population than the US? Why would they take a multi- trillion dollar hit to their economy doing this? Just, "media hype"???

Japan, too.

Everyone here is allowed to react to this as they individually see fit. You don't see a problem? Cool. Telling others who seem more concerned that, "The flu is just as bad..." is not responsible and incorrect. Countries don't lock down borders and refuse billions in commerce and trade just because, "muh... just a flu."

Except with mag bans the mortality rate is 100%.

You're taking the % of the wrong number.

15-20% of CONFIRMED cases not total and they aren't all being hospitalized for severe pneumonia. They are being hospitalized for quarantine reasons. Look at the cruise ship, there's 600+ people on there that are basically just being watered and fed.

If you have evidence 20% of those folks are suffering from severe pneumonia I'd like to see it. You also have to consider that this virus impacts people > 70 years old and with comorbidity much higher. It would be interesting to know the age range of those people on that cruise ship, but just assuming 15-20%, we should see at least 120 people with severe pneumonia.

How many total cases of the flu are there every year?

The CDC estimates there are 30-40MM (rounding) resulting in:

13-19MM visits

280-500K hospitalizations

Again look at Singapore's data for a 1st world country response, link here:

Singapore Data

Several things. First, we don't know how many cases there are because with few exceptions very little testing is being done. In the Solano County case, the CDC waited 4 days before running a test. Is that because they don't have many tests, because the tests aren't very good predictors, or because what you don't test for you can't find?

So, the number of cases may be a huge multiple of the diagnosed cases, or not - we don't have the data.

Second, it's hard to calculate the morbidity of a disease that seems to take weeks to kill. Simply taking current deaths and dividing them into whatever current number one selects doesn't mean anything, because the deaths lag the diagnoses.

Third, the issue with this disease seems to be its ability to send enough people into ICUs that it overwhelms the available healthcare resources. That could pretty easily happen here in the US where our hospital resources are stretched, particularly in rural areas.

As I've said before, I don't care what anyone else (other than family and friends) does to prepare. Preparing for this disease could be a waste, or not - but isn't that the essence of preparing? Life may go on entirely without disruption, but I sleep better knowing that if it does get ugly, I'm ready to hunker down.

As an aside, is it possible for the Mods to remove the sword of Damocles hanging over this thread - people have been pretty well behaved for several days now.

There are those that are scared.
And there are those that are scared of those that are scared. [You know. Kill the messenger].

Me? I'm not afraid at all.
But that could have something to do with my exposure to the last ''Mad cow'' outbreak? :s0004:

If you have evidence 20% of those folks are suffering from severe pneumonia I'd like to see it.

"Most people who are infected may become only mildly ill, data suggest. Of 44,672 cases in China, 81% had mild symptoms, 13.8% were severely ill, and 4.7% were critically ill..."

I don't think anyone here is saying cash out your 401k to buy gold and .22lr.

We are all just morbidly curious, and pretty pessimistic.

The issues I see are more the fear and government/people reactions more than the virus itself.

Secondary issue is supply chains.

But mostly we will see minor-major annoyanes in our lives.

"Most people who are infected may become only mildly ill, data suggest. Of 44,672 cases in China, 81% had mild symptoms, 13.8% were severely ill, and 4.7% were critically ill..."

I am talking about the cruise ship. We have a confined ecosystem with a defined number of cases. There should be ~120 cases of severe pneumonia (or more given the average age of folks that take a cruise).

Japan, too.

I never said it was of no concern.

I am saying the level of response to this strain of corona virus is being exacerbated by the media and misinformation spread on the internet as well as China not being completely transparent, even if they ARE being transparent it's hard to trust anything coming out of a repressive Communist regime.

Here is what I can tell you, I work for a company that manufactures consumer electronic products in China. I have visited Shenzhen, Shanghai and Hong Kong and used to go regularly for work. What I am seeing based on production timelines, for products manufactured in Shenzhen we are seeing a ~10-14 day delay.

I am also familiar with the Chinese infrastructure, their hygiene standards and their living conditions. They are conducive to a massive spread of contagious disease.

Folks in Shanghai are headed back to work, they have all been essentially ORDERED back to work by Monday.

I've also spent time in Singapore, which is also densely populated and has a rather authoritative government. This is why I am pointing towards their response and the outcomes thus far as comparison.

If you want to panic, have at it. No one is stopping your from buying a 100lbs of rice and beans, quitting your job and heading for the hills with a 5 gallon jug of Purell in tow. If you are older and have pneumonia, COPD, or other respiratory ailments, immunosuppressed etc you SHOULD be concerned.

Imagine if there were tweets and news reports regarding the spread of the 20MM to 40MM Flu infections in the US every year. There would be panic way worse than corona virus. What if they tweeted about every death?

I'm not telling people to NOT prepare, do whatever YOU think is prudent. I'm merely pointing out I think that some of the concern is because of our media, as well as misinformation being put on the internet/twitter.

Seems like some here really WANT this to be worse than it is.
Some people are just paying attention to what's going on and some people are just
Unknown.jpeg

The issues I see are more the fear and government/people reactions more than the virus itself.

I think panic and supply chain are a chicken and egg situation. Think the ammo crisis but with everything.

So far, I am seeing some pretty significant supply chain interruptions at work. N95 masks sold out into the end of March, with at least one factory in China becoming nationalized, meaning nothing they are producing is leaving the country. Same with tyvek suits. Spoke with a surgery nurse who came in to get some masks, and she let me know that the hospital she works at is running very low on surgical masks, and are likely going to start postponing all but the most severe and/or necessary surgeries. Contractors can't get a lot of the supplies they need, masks not the least of those, and are lamenting the fact that so much of what they need comes from China, and are having to put work off because they can't get all the necessary supplies.
Here I am buying seeds, paper towels, soap, gloves, flashlights and batteries, etc while no one panics over those.

So far, I am seeing some pretty significant supply chain interruptions at work. N95 masks sold out into the end of March, with at least one factory in China becoming nationalized, meaning nothing they are producing is leaving the country. Same with tyvek suits. Spoke with a surgery nurse who came in to get some masks, and she let me know that the hospital she works at is running very low on surgical masks, and are likely going to start postponing all but the most severe and/or necessary surgeries. Contractors can't get a lot of the supplies they need, masks not the least of those, and are lamenting the fact that so much of what they need comes from China, and are having to put work off because they can't get all the necessary supplies.
Here I am buying seeds, paper towels, soap, gloves, flashlights and batteries, etc while no one panics over those.

I am seeing similar issues at my job, but for more technology based items. Just to point out the issue is wide spread.

Make sure to order some recharchable batteries and some batteries for watches and red dots if needed.

Oops.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews