JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I've been picking up extra staples and stacking deeper than normal for weeks. I don't know where things are going, and neither do the experts at this point. Not paranoid, but cautious and ready to hunker down for a while if necessary.

Have been glad to see the number of 'cured' patients rising regularly. I hope the criteria for exiting the infected stage is rigorous and accurate.

Looks inconclusive at this point if you remain immune indefinitely or not after recovery.

While I seem to be getting most of my information from reading Reuters, I have found good information at some other sources.

I found some interesting information here: I found part "5" most interesting.

I don't know what to think about the mask directives, N95 filters 95% of the particles 3 microns and larger. The coronavirus in general are smaller than that.
"Coronaviruses have a size range of 0.08-0.15 microns; with a mean size of 0.11 microns (see Figure 1)."
reference: (PDF) SARS Coronavirus UV Susceptibility

I've also been watching this UK Dr's video posts. I think someone here shared this person many messages ago.

His live feed from Friday was well worth the watch/listen. He's got another live feed going now, I've missed the start but last time it was available after the live event ended.

Any thoughts on the informaion provided by Raido Free Asia? I think they are US govt funded, are they considered trustworthy?

I really appreciate everyone sharing the credible information they are coming across.

I don't know what to think about the mask directives, N95 filters 95% of the particles 3 microns and larger. The coronavirus in general are smaller than that.
"Coronaviruses have a size range of 0.08-0.15 microns; with a mean size of 0.11 microns (see Figure 1)."
reference: (PDF) SARS Coronavirus UV Susceptibility

I've wondered the same. I'm thinking even though the virus itself is so small, it would be attached to or suspended in particles that are much larger... like water droplets or dust particles.

In those cases I believe it would be at least of some help, how much I have no idea. Probably more of a feel good placebo than anything. And I suppose if you are already infected, the mask will help keep you from spreading it further.

And I suppose if you are already infected, the mask will help keep you from spreading it further.
That seems to be the general consensus. Most advice I have seen so far says the mask will not protect a non-infected person from infection, but it is helpful in preventing an infected person from spreading to others by restricting droplet dispersal.

My understanding is that an N95 mask AND goggles will protect the uninfected (assuming all other precautionary measures are taken), and that ordinary surgical masks should be worn by the infected to limit their ability to spread the virus to others. The surgical mask is intended to capture droplets from sneezing and coughing; the N95 mask and goggles are intended to prevent the virus (even airborne) from reaching the mucous membranes in the mouth, nose and eyes. Like SARS, this virus can apparently be contracted through the eyes.

My understanding is that an N95 mask AND goggles will protect the uninfected (assuming all other precautionary measures are taken), and that ordinary surgical masks should be worn by the infected to limit their ability to spread the virus to others. The surgical mask is intended to capture droplets from sneezing and coughing; the N95 mask and goggles are intended to prevent the virus (even airborne) from reaching the mucous membranes in the mouth, nose and eyes.
This appears to be correct.
However, for some reason the CDC does not recommend the use of n95 masks by the general public outside of workplace or healthcare settings.

This appears to be correct.
However, for some reason the CDC does not recommend the use of n95 masks by the general public outside of workplace or healthcare settings.

My guess is that they fear that the current shortages of N95 masks will get worse (Amazon was limiting the sale of certain N95 masks to medical professionals by February 1), and we have little if any domestic (i.e., non-Chinese) manufacturing capacity at present.

Reusable dust masks are still available, but will require stringent decontamination procedures between uses.

My guess is that they fear that the current shortages of N95 masks will get worse (Amazon was limiting the sale of certain N95 masks to medical professionals by February 1), and we have little if any domestic (i.e., non-Chinese) manufacturing capacity at present.

Reusable dust masks are still available, but will require stringent decontamination procedures between uses.
Do you know of any good/ proven techniques to properly sanitize a respirator filter, or dust mask?

I'm thinking spritz with water and then microwave, which would steam sanitize the filter media... but I'm not sure that wouldn't destroy it in the process.

Maybe a proper steam sanitizing wand?

Do you know of any good/ proven techniques to properly sanitize a respirator filter, or dust mask?

I'm thinking spritz with water and then microwave, which would steam sanitize the filter media... but I'm not sure that wouldn't destroy it in the process.

Maybe a proper steam sanitizing wand?

I'm planning on a baby bottle UV sterilizer, pricey but should do the job.

here's a data point for those among you that may want to know more.
I really have doubts about GreatGameIndia. They seem to write a lot of sensationalist headlines which are not supported by the content of the article.

Interesting idea, I like it.

Do you think the UV light will penetrate far enough into the "fabric" to effectively sanitize it?

LOL, I hope so. I figure enough time in the UV sanitizer and moving the mask a few times should do it. It was the best plan I could come up with that didn't also risk destroying the mask.

I suppose you could also remove the filter media and sanitize them with something like a vegetable steamer, and then wipe the mask down with a sanitizing wipe.

Decontaminating yourself if exposed is a real challenge - you've got to deal with mask, goggles, gloves, outer clothing, footwear, exposed skin and hair all without touching any contaminated surface. That's why medical personnel with real PPE in extreme exposure situations often contract the illness - it's just so hard to avoid touching something that's been exposed.

Lest anyone think otherwise, I'm not freaking out about this, I'm just trying to do some thoughtful planning to improve my odds if the Covid-19 SHTF.

Lest anyone think otherwise, I'm not freaking out about this, I'm just trying to do some thoughtful planning to improve my odds if the Covid-19 SHTF.

I agree. I am too, and being able to reuse masks would be a big help to everyone. It's not like they are getting clogged up with dust and debris.

But if I'm going to go to the trouble to sanitize something, I would want to do it right.

LOL, I hope so. I figure enough time in the UV sanitizer and moving the mask a few times should do it. It was the best plan I could come up with that didn't also risk destroying the mask.

I suppose you could also remove the filter media and sanitize them with something like a vegetable steamer, and then wipe the mask down with a sanitizing wipe.

Decontaminating yourself if exposed is a real challenge - you've got to deal with mask, goggles, gloves, outer clothing, footwear, exposed skin and hair all without touching any contaminated surface. That's why medical personnel with real PPE in extreme exposure situations often contract the illness - it's just so hard to avoid touching something that's been exposed.

Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0822K9LSF/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_zzBuEbHPD5FW8

Again, not sure this wouldn't just melt the polypropylene, or whatever the material is, and render it ineffective

Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0822K9LSF/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_zzBuEbHPD5FW8

Again, not sure this wouldn't just melt the polypropylene, or whatever the material is, and render it ineffective

The only problem I see with that is longer exposure to the possibly contaminated mask while you're cleaning it. My brain tells me the shorter the exposure to the contamination - i.e., the moment it takes to drop the mask into a decontaminating chamber - the better. Maybe double up on UV and steam or a steam baby bottle sterilizer?

I don't know, I haven't even stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top