JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
The mortality rate of this isn't much higher than the flu.

The sky is falling! Not really. :rolleyes:

the actions of China may be an indication of something much more than the 'flu'.
only time will tell..

and now South Korea, Japan, Iran.....

The US CDC estimates the percentage of those with the flu who die at about 0.13%. Assuming there are no more deaths from current cases (not a valid assumption), the percentage of those with this corona virus who die is about 2.7%, or about 20 times worse than the flu.

the actions of China may be an indication of something much more than the 'flu'.
only time will tell..

It doesn't matter how China deals with it. We have our own patients along with many other countries. It's not like the only data we have is what China gives us.

The US CDC estimates the percentage of those with the flu who die at about 0.13%. Assuming there are no more deaths from current cases (not a valid assumption), the percentage of those with this corona virus who die is about 2.7%, or about 20 times worse than the flu.

I've seen those numbers, and they are coming from countries with questionable living conditions and healthcare.

Yeah but I found some stuff from some highly unreliable sources that says it is.

Oh come on now, totally credible.

Jones.png

:s0112:

Re mortality rate.
In truth, we just don't know. We're guessing, really. The real numbers in all categories are almost certainly higher. We don't know how many infected, dead, or recovered.

So putting out "2%" or whatever is simply false.

China lies about everything, so I have 0% faith in their numbers. That represents the largest % and raw number in the world.

Many US states are refusing to provide numbers. So we have blind spots here.

But based on reported numbers, the death rate of closed cases (which is the best figure, since the open cases are unresolved) is 11%. IMO that is the correct method of looking at mortality.

Approximates
Cases: ~75,500
Total closed: ~19,130
Recovered: ~17,000 (89%)
Deaths: ~2,130 (11%)

We just don't know what will happen to the open cases. If they all recovered or if they all died it would swing the death rate.

Re mortality rate.
In truth, we just don't know. We're guessing, really. The real numbers in all categories are almost certainly higher. We don't know how many infected, dead, or recovered.

So putting out "2%" or whatever is simply false.

China lies about everything, so I have 0% faith in their numbers. That represents the largest % and raw number in the world.

Many US states are refusing to provide numbers. So we have blind spots here.

But based on reported numbers, the death rate of closed cases (which is the best figure, since the open cases are unresolved) is 11%. IMO that is the correct method of looking at mortality.

Approximates
Cases: ~75,500
Total closed: ~19,130
Recovered: ~17,000 (89%)
Deaths: ~2,130 (11%)

We just don't know what will happen to the open cases. If they all recovered or if they all died it would swing the death rate.

So if "we just don't know" then what's the point in 28 pages of doom and gloom?

So if "we just don't know" then what's the point in 28 pages of doom and gloom?

:rolleyes: you're right. China has quarantined twice the size population of the US. Other nations have quarantined and locked down cities. 29 or more nations are infected. Mass travel bans. There's at least 15 known US cases, thousands being watched, and many states refusing to report numbers. At least 2100+ dead. Serious concerns starting about market supply chains being interrupted thru Q2 or longer. Credible information this is a man cultivated virus. Might be the biggest event since 9/11/01 and has already killed almost as many people, and certainly impacted hundreds of millions.

Nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

Let's talk more about favorite movies, shall we?

OBVIOUSLY something big is going on. The fact we don't have precise information is CAUSE for alarm, not justification to ignore it... "We don't know" doesn't mean "ignore it."

Good grief ...:confused:

Why the constant sniping?

Chinas action dont match the official data, They have tanked their manufacturing, exposed global supply chain weakness, and look super incompetent. So either the numbers are total BS or they're massively over reacting. We'll all find out in a few weeks. I wonder how many bodies they're going to find behind those barricades when it's all over, kinda hard to have a body count then the doors are nailed shut.

Why the constant sniping?

Why the constant fear mongering? See, we can go back and forth here. I can post in any section I please, and I can also disagree with you or anyone else.

That's the cool part about forums. Discussions, agreeing and disagreeing. Nothing you say will convince me you are right as well as nothing I say will convince you.

I'm sorry you see my posts as sniping. I see them simply as my opinions.

Why the constant fear mongering? See, we can go back and forth here. I can post in any section I please, and I can also disagree with you or anyone else.

That's the cool part about forums. Discussions, agreeing and disagreeing. Nothing you say will convince me you are right as well as nothing I say will convince you.

I'm sorry you see my posts as sniping. I see them simply as my opinions.

Saying "I disagree for the following reasons" (and then listing actual reasons) to have an adult informed discussion is different than making fart jokes and essentially calling me and others who ARE concerned and sharing information "paranoid" or insinuating such.

So, in participating in the conversation, why are you NOT alarmed? I'd like to take a drink from that glass of water of not being somewhat concerned.

Saying "I disagree for the following reasons" (and then listing actual reasons) to have an adult informed discussion is different than making fart jokes and essentially calling me and others who ARE concerned and sharing information "paranoid" or insinuating such.

So, in participating in the conversation, why are you NOT alarmed? I'd like to take a drink from that glass of water of not being somewhat concerned.

I didn't call anyone "paranoid" here. You are making assumptions.

Why am I NOT alarmed? The same reason I'm not alarmed over HIV, Influenza, Whooping Cough, SARS, measles and all the other "pandemics" that make the news from time to time. I eat right, take care of myself and I'll deal with this corona virus if and when the time comes. I like my chances, and I REFUSE to spend all my time worrying about something that is COMPLETELY out of my control.

My mistake then. So what is your interpretation of saying those posting here are posting "doom and gloom?" I apparently misunderstood the implication.

I meant that after 28 pages of links to sites and videos and stats you still said "we just don't know".

Seems kinda silly eh? That much "information" shared and yet....."we just don't know" what to worry about.

:s0140:

I meant that after 28 pages of links to sites and videos and stats you still said "we just don't know".

Seems kinda silly eh? That much "information" shared and yet....."we just don't know" what to worry about.

:s0140:

Since nobody knows what's going to happen with gun control, maybe you should go over to all the gun control threads. Post the same opinion. See what the response to that is. Just a thought.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads