JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Sky News is reporting the first UK LONDON confirmed COVID19 infected person took an UBER to the hospital and checked into the hospital...

Keep in mind London has two airports and Heathrow International is one of the largest busiest in the world, and London's population is 10 million people. Figure, an infected person arriving in London via airport, just arriving there and getting home, probably interacted with 10,000 people and touched hundreds of surfaces; worse if s/he coughed and spread it airborne. That's day 1. Unless self quarantining, that person probably repeated that exposure every day in London until going to the hospital.

This is a highly infectious airborne spread disease that lives for a reported 9 days on surfaces exposed to air. Any railings, door knobs, chairs, tables, etc. touched by an infected person may have the virus and it may last over a week. How many others are touching and spreading it???

It should be noted that COVID19's fatality rate is similar to the Spanish flu from 1918-1919, which killed over 50 million people.

She's usually neurotic and on the verge of hyperventilating but this is interesting:

Good grief that woman is insufferable to listen to. I had to tap out after 3 minutes, which felt like about a hour of listening to her hyperventilate.. The only interesting connection is that Koontz picked a Chinese city where there is a bio-weapons lab, and a virus was unleashed. That's where the similarities end. Figuring probably millions or tens of millions of books with similar plot lines and really just a handful of bio-weapons labs on the earth, this isn't much of a coincidence. More of an inevitable book and city of choice among millions of similar books. She makes FAR too much of it.

Based on the facts:
* Airborne
* Long incubation period
* Survives long periods exposed to air
* In 26 countries, including 13 or 14 confirmed USA cases spread in many states, and 3 are serious. Found in major cities like London, San Diego, San Antonio, etc. The exposure risk is enormous, and these are all big cities with a lot of travelers.
* 15% or more infected are serious condition patients. And serious condition requires medical care. If millions get infected it will overwhelm healthcare.
* Fatality rate 1-2% (roughly the same as the Spanish Flu which killed 50 million a century ago)
* Yesterday's statement by the CDC head stating that we can expect a foothold and increased infections in the US.

And based on not implausible conspiracies:
* This was a bio-engineered weapon that got out either by accident or on purpose
* Bodies being burned en mass
* Under-reporting on large scale

My concern now is a solid 5 out of 10. I got my deep freezer out of storage and cleaned it out and plugged it in and today or tomorrow I'm going to Costco and filling my freezer and pantry.

Having just moved, most of my stuff is in boxes in storage. I'm going to soon dig out all of my stored gear which includes medical, surgical masks, professional filtration masks, a Israel gas mask with boxes of cannisters, and gloves. That will take some time and isn't urgent today but on my short term to-do list.

There is no evidence for that assertion.

I'd hate to see what happens when you hit 10.

And as I said, it was a conspiracy. I happen to believe there is evidence to support that.

1. Wuhan, location, very coincidental location of devastating origin. Almost 63,000 reported cases in that area.
2. China slow reaction and coverup demonstrates embarrassment.
3. Near perfect virus. Airborne transmission, long incubation, durable in open air, and high death rate.

I'm looking at this virus as an opportunity to sharpen my preps - both for short term issues and longer term SHTF - TEOTWAWKI sorts of things. So, for now, more freeze dried food, some medical stuff, checking on my defensive preps, etc.

The long and the short of it, though, is that we simply don't know how bad this is going to be. It may be a nothing burger, it may be a reset of the global economy (some of the data about our heavily China-dependent pharmaceutical supply lines is pretty horrifying).

What I'm thinking about - as everyone says we're fine in the US - is that the American Wuhan evacuees were brought to Texas on February 7th, presumably after being checking several times enroute. The first coronavirus case among those evacuees was detected today. Assuming the individual was only infected as they boarded the plane, that's a 6 day incubation period. In reality probably longer, and maybe much longer. That's a little concerning.

There's a certain disconnect between the draconian measures China is taking to contain this, and the western world's laid back warnings. I'm not going to spin conspiracy theories, but this seems a little like the movies where TPTB learn of the massive meteor heading our way, but don't warn the hordes because they don't want to cause panic.

I hope this all turns out to be Y2K with me better prepared, I'm not ready to assume that it will.

Confirmed global cases went up about 8% in 12 hours today to 65,000.

Confirmed US cases went up 14% today in 12 hours, to 15 cases.

China has changed the methodology for diagnosis. That resulted in an increase in the numbers. They were requiring confirmed test results from specialized testing kits. Now they are counting those diagnosed by a local Doctor if the following conditions exist: "they exhibit symptoms of severe respiratory tract disease and a CT scan shows lesions in their lungs."

Source: No need for Singapore to change coronavirus diagnosis method after China revised its procedures

I'm looking at this virus as an opportunity to sharpen my preps - both for short term issues and longer term SHTF - TEOTWAWKI sorts of things. So, for now, more freeze dried food, some medical stuff, checking on my defensive preps, etc.

The long and the short of it, though, is that we simply don't know how bad this is going to be. It may be a nothing burger, it may be a reset of the global economy (some of the data about our heavily China-dependent pharmaceutical supply lines is pretty horrifying).

What I'm thinking about - as everyone says we're fine in the US - is that the American Wuhan evacuees were brought to Texas on February 7th, presumably after being checking several times enroute. The first coronavirus case among those evacuees was detected today. Assuming the individual was only infected as they boarded the plane, that's a 6 day incubation period. In reality probably longer, and maybe much longer. That's a little concerning.

There's a certain disconnect between the draconian measures China is taking to contain this, and the western world's laid back warnings. I'm not going to spin conspiracy theories, but this seems a little like the movies where TPTB learn of the massive meteor heading our way, but don't warn the hordes because they don't want to cause panic.

I hope this all turns out to be Y2K with me better prepared, I'm not ready to assume that it will.
It's already beyond a nothing burger (at least economically for China). We will have to wait and see how much worse it becomes.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top