JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if it's actually unusual, or if I'm just noticing it for the first time. Roughly a thousand rounds in on my bone stock Ruger AR556, and it looks like the lower ring on the firing pin is being impacted somehow, and is being dented or chipped. Ive replaced it with a new pin, and am going to call Ruger tomorrow about a potential replacement bcg if this is abnormal.
IMG_20190530_201022133.jpg

Ruger BCG's suck. True story. Replace it with a quality BCG and keep the warranty replacement as a backup. :)

Here's a few for comparison that have endured full auto fire cycles and probably several thousand rounds each in semi-auto.
The wear is pretty even on all of them, despite slightly different shaping on the hammer end.

IMG_20190530_221636.jpg

heres my firing pin with 10,000 rounds on it. probably about 2k of it is running suppressed. notice a ton of pitting on there? im assuming its from gas? un certain. rifle runs like a champ
F39B3DF6-C34F-44DB-A327-1DC16379B970.jpeg

vs new:

F9ABD2E0-B4DD-40A5-9BA9-FF0398D56D92.jpeg

To Kreul J's point, it could be something particular to the Ruger configuration. My first thought would be to see if the firing pin is floating freely. It could be binding. Or, it could just be an out of spec firing pin. Why not throw another in and try it for a few hundred more rounds?

To Kreul J's point, it could be something particular to the Ruger configuration. My first thought would be to see if the firing pin is floating freely. It could be binding. Or, it could just be an out of spec firing pin. Why not throw another in and try it for a few hundred more rounds?
I did. Will likely try it out next week.

Paint the hammer with a sharpie, dry fire it a bunch of times and see where the hammer is hitting. That might tell part of the story.

Their bolts don't cam, their parts are substandard. The rifle itself is decent for what it is, but the BCG is the heart and soul of the rifle. Don't skimp on the parts that matter. :)

Their bolts don't cam, their parts are substandard. The rifle itself is decent for what it is, but the BCG is the heart and soul of the rifle. Don't skimp on the parts that matter. :)
That's what leads me to believe that the firing pin sits in one position and doesn't really float the way it was designed to. Probably just something you have to live with. Firing pins are cheap. As long as the overall length doens't decrease it will probably be fine for quite a while. Though I would shoot it until there's a really neat bevel on the end just for grins and giggles.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top