JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I made a point to go the range recently. I hadn't been in months and knew it was long past time I enjoyed doing some shooting. I planned to zero / rezero 3 rifles because I have been making an effort to plumb all my scopes to make sure the reticles are not canted, and then rezero as necessary. I brought:

16inch .223 mid length gas
18inch .223 rifle length gas
18 inch .308 mid length gas

Range was far busier than I thought it would be for how expensive ammo is right now. I was able to set up at the 50 yard line and call it good. I wanted to do 200, that wasn't happening. There was two groups on either side of me who clearly had no knowledge of how to make their AR's work except for pulling the trigger made the gun go bang and the bullet left the barrel. We all have to start somewhere I suppose... I approached both groups and basically politely forced a tutorial of their AR for them because I felt it was less likely I would be shot on accident If I did that. They were happy to receive it, because for example, they didn't know how to lock the bolt back, I told both groups that youtube could be a great learning resource for them.

After I got my targets set up, using the primary arms 1x8 scope (my preferred budget do all scope) the 16 inch .223 midlength gas AR worked as I expected it would. This is my oldest AR, my first AR I ever bought, and is about 10 years old. It's had a red dot on it in it's early life, but now sports the 1x8. Feeling content with it's zero after a few shots and minor adjustment.

I moved on to the 18inch rifle length gas. It was not loading the next round, but it was ejecting each case. Seemed like an obvious gas issue to me. All the ammo was the same (my reloads which I use almost exclusively). Tried multiple different mags. Same issue, shot fine, just not enough power to cycle the next round. Content with the zero I put it away and pulled out the AR10.

This AR10 I've put an adjustable gas block on, and last time I shot it I adjusted the gas based on being in the Snoqualmie area elevation. Let go the first round, same issue, ejected the round, not enough gas to load the next one.

It was a short range trip (purposefully). Letting a few rounds go was just part of the day's plan. It was a major reality check though and a humbling reminder that if I consider a firearm to be something I may use to defend myself with. I need to make sure I have thoroughly functioned checked it to make sure it is reliable. For whatever reason, had I used 2/3 of those rifles for any type of serious use. I would have been very disappointed finding out I had a fancy single shot with a detachable magazine.

For those interested, these are Palmetto rifles. Some will read that and automatically think "of course." I blame the .308 problems on my tuning of the adjustable gas block at a much higher elevation and lower air pressure than shooting it recently. I likely choked it down too far to be reliable. The .223 rifle length gas could be a misaligned gas block, even though it is a factory build, maybe the BCG is a hair too thick and another might be a hair less. I find it very unlikely to be ammo related because the reloads I use I have used for about 10 years and they function reliably in everything I use them in. I'll do some figuring out at home, and test next range trip.

The moral of the story though was to really function check something before considering relying on it.

I've got an old PSA with a chf marked barrel. It's been a great gun. Lately, PSA has switched from being an AR manufacturer to a lousy sales company. My local bimart has better everyday prices than their "daily deals," even before the Corona madness.

All of my PSA rifles have been great and go bang every time. Last time I bought something from them was last year before they started jacking up the prices. The same AR15 upper kit I bought for 519.99 is now going for 28% more, 719.99.

I am now very disappointed with them, I really wanted a CHF upper with Geissele rail, but they marked that one up 100%!!!! What cost $400 last year is now $809

Last Edited:
All of my PSA rifles have been great and go bang every time. Last time I bought something from them was last year before they started jacking up the prices. The same AR15 upper kit I bought for 519.99 is now going for 28% more, 719.99.

However, I am very disappointed with them, I really wanted a CHF upper with Geissele rail, but they marked that one up 100%!!!! What cost $400 last year is now $809

The last upper I bought from them was assembled and I paid $200 complete with BCG and CH.

I've got an old PSA with a chf marked barrel. It's been a great gun. Lately, PSA has switched from being an AR manufacturer to a lousy sales company. My local bimart has better everyday prices than their "daily deals," even before the Corona madness.

These are all about 3 years or more old. I wouldn't touch their current prices, yuck!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top