JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Russianfist;265064 On the west side some crazy old bat has been feeding them because that are "cute" said:
These are the same folks that think Bambi was a documentary. When I was in Yellowstone several years ago I couldn't believe some of the things I saw people do around wild and potentially dangerous animals. God looks after drunks and idiots.

This season, meaning since the weather warmed in June there have been 15 cougars taken in early June (76 hour dog hunt) within 7 miles of my house. In same area 1-2 miles off hunt zone I had a cougar encounter. July I crossed cougar tack again. Aug. I did not get into woods, still waiting for em to show up in front yard.
Cougars are not kittys, even kittys are not kittys, but a cougar will take a child so fast that your eyeballs will spin trying to make sense of what just happened. Then the tears start and never end.

These are the same folks that think Bambi was a documentary. When I was in Yellowstone several years ago I couldn't believe some of the things I saw people do around wild and potentially dangerous animals. God looks after drunks and idiots.

while in Yellowstone, stopped by a buffalo jam, a lady got out of her car, caring a baby. I asked if she would like me to take a picture while she held the baby on the back of a buffalo? She asked if i thought she was stupid, my reply was i already know you are stupid, you have proved that, i'm just trying to find out if you are crazy too. she got real red and jumped back in her vehicle.

while in Yellowstone, stopped by a buffalo jam, a lady got out of her car, caring a baby. I asked if she would like me to take a picture while she held the baby on the back of a buffalo? She asked if i thought she was stupid, my reply was i already know you are stupid, you have proved that, i'm just trying to find out if you are crazy too. she got real red and jumped back in her vehicle.

I used to vist Yellowstone regularly when I lived in Idaho. Once I saw a guy lying almost all the way on his back feeding a rockchuck sunflower seeds, while the chuck would climb up on his chest to take them. I wanted to tell him,"They're real playful, just grab his tail!", but I didn't. Another time I watched a guy getting way too close to a cow elk, while she had her calf behind her. She was bobbing her head, and pawing the ground, and he was yelling to his friend, "Look! She's crazy!" I really thought I'd watch him get killed, but a ranger showed up and yelled at him.

Getting back to the topic, cougars are everywhere. My mom lives in Warrenton, and her neighbor's dog was attacked and killed by one.

I used to vist Yellowstone regularly when I lived in Idaho. Once I saw a guy lying almost all the way on his back feeding a rockchuck sunflower seeds, while the chuck would climb up on his chest to take them. I wanted to tell him,"They're real playful, just grab his tail!", but I didn't.

On a similar note, I was on one of the wooden walkways that wound thru some of the geothermal pools at Yellowstone and there was a Rock Marmot sitting a ways away on the walkway. As a Japanese tourist approached the Marmot ducked back under the walkway. What does she do? Sticks her head under the walkway. A park ranger went and got her before she came back out with a Marmot attached to her face. :s0054:

Arent Cougars and Cyotes Kill on sight? heard something about a bounty for them somewhere.. ahah

Pretty sure there's no bounty for Yotes here in OR. I do remember my Dad talking about there being a bounty on them in Kansas back in the 30's and 40's. I think he said if you brought in a pair of ears you could get a dollar per pair which was actually pretty good money back then.

7430_1064760117608_1784163936_140555_4001056_n.jpg
This cat was stalking my buddy last Deer season. He shot it at less than 20 yards. If your in the woods your fair game. As far as cougar coming into your neighborhood, we have had cougar within 100 yards of the house in just the past few months. That said, even with my 3 year old daughter running around outside I worry much more about the 2 legged predators than any cougar.

If anyone is offended by this picture please just make believe the stiff Kitty is sleeping ;)

The son of one of my wife's friends at work was lucky enough to get one of the tags for the limited Wolf hunt in Idaho last year. He took one with I believe a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. I saw a picture of him holding it after he had killed it. It was HUGE!!! You have no idea how big they really are until you see one up close or in context to the size of your average human.

That's a pretty good sized Cougar too.

The son of one of my wife's friends at work was lucky enough to get one of the tags for the limited Wolf hunt in Idaho last year. He took one with I believe a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. I saw a picture of him holding it after he had killed it. It was HUGE!!! You have no idea how big they really are until you see one up close or in context to the size of your average human.

That's a pretty good sized Cougar too.

When I see how quick my little 2 pound cat can destroy a wild rabbit, I can only imagine what a 150+ pound cougar could do.

7430_1064760117608_1784163936_140555_4001056_n.jpg
This cat was stalking my buddy last Deer season. He shot it at less than 20 yards. If your in the woods your fair game. As far as cougar coming into your neighborhood, we have had cougar within 100 yards of the house in just the past few months. That said, even with my 3 year old daughter running around outside I worry much more about the 2 legged predators than any cougar.

If anyone is offended by this picture please just make believe the stiff Kitty is sleeping ;)

I'm impressed he saw it stalking him... often the only time people would know a cougar was around was when it was nibbling on them like a chicken nugget.

-d

I'm impressed he saw it stalking him... often the only time people would know a cougar was around was when it was nibbling on them like a chicken nugget.

-d
That’s exactly what I thought and the reason never really felt a need to carry a sidearm in the woods. I figured if a Cougar was going to attack me I would never see it coming.

The story is he was slowly moving (hunting) down an old skid road that was cut into the side of a ridge. He heard something behind him down over the bank so he stopped. When he started walking again he heard something again and it was getting closer so he just waited and through the brush below him he saw some fur. He was thinking it was a deer so he just stayed put. Then out of the brush about 50 feet in front of him the cougar crept out of the brush with its back to him. My buddy said it scared the bubblegum out of him and he basically just pulled up his rifle (causing the cougar to turn and look at him) looked down the side of his scope and let it rip. He hit it with a .243 and he said it went about 5 feet straight up in the air. He said the worst part was going into the brush to look for it (almost 2 hours later )

I can't believe Trism hasn't hit this thread with a comment about mature women! ;)

Other than hunting, I always try to have a dog or two with me when in the woods. Hopefully, they will keep the cats busy long enough for me to get a shot off.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top