JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been using Talley LW rings on several rifles over the years with good luck. I have them on my Kimber Montana in 280ai and it has been a very light and accurate package. I was getting low on my custom loads for it so I loaded a new batch and went to test them to make sure poi was still good. I could not get the darn thing to group. It usually would shoot a sub moa 3 shot group without fail. I thought I found the culprit as the rear scope cap screws were a bit loose so back to the range. Same problem with it not grouping well. I thought maybe the base screws had worked loose so I took it home and dismounted the scope and found the the rear base had cracked inline with the screws. The rings were lapped and all screws tightened to the proper torque with a torque wrench. Now I am a bit gun shy to put the same rings back on this rifle. Anybody else have this happen with Talley LW rings?
image.jpg

Switch over to the Leupold dual dovetails. They are much stronger. I've heard of this happening to Talley's, especially on super light heavy recoiling rifles. I've never had issues myself, but would probably switch some out if I thought the recoil was enough to break them...

Yep, I am thinking steel for this rifle may be in order. I will call Talley tomorrow and see what they do for me to upgrade into their all steel models and expedited. If that does not come together I will just flat have to buy something to get my elk rifle back, as time before I leave for Montana is growing short.

The steel Talley's are heavier than the Leupold DD's and they are vertical split rings. I've had them, but prefer the DD's over those. Especially on my model 70 rifles. Kimber montana rifles take the same mounts as the model 70 I believe.
lA0pLnz.jpg
AHPCBoQ.jpg

I am not that wild about vertical split rings and I am sure the Leupy dd setup is likely to be available local, so it may be the way I go. Thanks for the input !

After a bit of research it appears the leupy dd bases overhang the bolt opening a substantial amount. Beside looking like hell it will impede loading the blind mag and possibly ejection. Back on the hunt:mad:.

After a bit of research it appears the leupy dd bases overhang the bolt opening a substantial amount. Beside looking like hell it will impede loading the blind mag and possibly ejection. Back on the hunt:mad:.
That's strange. It should look like the model 70 I posted pics of. They don't overhang the bridge of the receiver. Strange..

Thats the problem with the rear mount in the talley lightweight on Kimbers, IMO. The two screws are really close together and the screw size is 8-40 vs 6-48. So, you have bigger holes closer together and a base that they crammed onto rear bridge so it wouldn't overhang.
Good post. You are probably absolutely correct. That's the reason I'd pick a steel base and ring. If DD's don't fit, try the Leupold PRW's... Not that I'm a huge Leupold fan, but I really like their mounts and rings. DD's and PRW's are rock solid....

I do like how the Talleys fit and time is short so I just ordered a replacement set of Talley light weights to be here Wednesday for $40. I will use 18-20 in/lbs of torque and use some gun tite. I am pretty sure I used 30 in/lbs on the bases before which may have exacerbated the problem. This Winter I will sort it out for a permanent solution but I have Elk to kill now! Thanks for all the good input all!

I do like how the Talleys fit and time is short so I just ordered a replacement set of Talley light weights to be here Wednesday for $40. I will use 18-20 in/lbs of torque and use some gun tite. I am pretty sure I used 30 in/lbs on the bases before which may have exacerbated the problem. This Winter I will sort it out for a permanent solution but I have Elk to kill now! Thanks for all the good input all!

How big is the scope?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads