JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like a nice gun to get the hang of and feel for? A good channel to watch someone handle a weapon properly without showboating, or what to expect the biggest problem or obstacle to be regarding firearms, mainly pistols.

If a woman with no real history with firearms showed a keen interest in learning, what would be your basic beginner advice? And yes, I'm talking about absolute basics. :oops:
A couple of things. Depending on how confident you are with your self, take a beginners firearm course or if you'd like usually instructors offer female only classes which some ladies find more comfortable to learn in. Second would be go with a family friend or someone you trust to introduce you to shooting with their firearms. Take time to learn the basics, spend time shooting small caliber weapons. For hand guns a nice .22LR pistol is a great way to learn assuming you can find ammo.

I am sure others will have suggestions as well and may offer to take you out as well. Best of luck and I will type more mater when I am able if it hasn't been covered.

Thank you for taking the time to respond! A beginner class is definitely on my list, though would still be a few weeks away. I figured I could do some brain-picking in the meantime, so as not to be completely green... Ha! I have very few friends that shoot, but would hate to pick up bad habits before I really learn, ya know?

a little more info is needed before much advice could be given. what has spurred the interest (hobby, self protection or ?) and what type of budget is going to be allotted. This would also help in what type of class, video etc. that would be recommended.

We don't want to start you out with a small 22 single shot pistol if your really after self protection and don't want to or cant afford to buy multiple items to work up to the end result you are after.

One idea would be to find a Concealed Handgun Class which actually has a handgun practical portion to it. Not all of them do, so you might have to look around. There are several ranges around which offer beginners handgun classes as well.

Another idea, might be http://threatdynamics.com/ (Down in Tualatin, OR). They use modified Glock 17 pistol which uses an air cartridge system. You can actually do a Hogan's Alley style virtual training without a live firearm. Could be a good way to get a handle on a few basics without using a life firearm.

I assume you don't know anyone who owns firearms? That can be a good first experience if the person has the temperament to train/teach the basics.

Good points. End goal would be proper self-defense. Mostly home defense and carry in vehicle on long trips. I drive to Phoenix, AZ from Vancouver through an isolated Nevada route alone, so defense is key. In between trips would be hobby/build skills, so a firearm that could double would be great. Budget would be as I progress, I don't expect to purchase a weapon and then find it isn't for me, so renting a small pistol to get the feels would suffice.

[QUOTE="

I assume you don't know anyone who owns firearms? That can be a good first experience if the person has the temperament to train/teach the basics.[/QUOTE]
I do have a couple friends, though they don't seem to take things as seriously as I would like. I can be quite disciplined when it comes to objects that can kill, and most people I know don't have that kind of respect towards firearms.

Assuming you're starting from absolute scratch, it's good to start with basic firearm safety - here are 10 rules for firearm safety. You'll see variations on these rules, but most lists will contain the same basic information:

The Ten Rules of Gun Safety
  1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
  2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
  3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
  4. Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
  5. Know how to use the gun safely.
  6. Use only the correct ammunition for the gun.
  7. Know the target and what is beyond.
  8. Wear ear and eye protection as appropriate.
  9. Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting.
  10. Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
And remember to treat all guns as if they are always loaded - it helps to prevent 'accidents'.

Getting into a class with proper instructors is the best option for learning the correct handling and techniques from the get go. Definitely worth the time.

May check ranges for one that rents guns, or maybe someone will chime in with a suggestion of one close by that does. The same range may have on site beginners classes as well as CHL classes when/if you go that route.

If you were closer I would help out, hopefully someone closer will.

I do have a couple friends, though they don't seem to take things as seriously as I would like. I can be quite disciplined when it comes to objects that can kill, and most people I know don't have that kind of respect towards firearms.

Well, your attitude seems to be in a good place then. Learning by other's bad examples are always nice, keeps you from making their mistakes.

While it might be expensive, renting pistols at gun ranges is a great way to handle a lot of firearms without having to purchase them.

Even though renting could get quite pricey, I figured it would be the better route, that way I don't end up with a weapon that's not suitable.

Deadeye, by posting, you're helping tremendously, so thank you!

And the bullet points (huehuehue) are absolutely great and most welcomed!

Though, it was my understanding a CHL was required in order to have a weapon in a vehicle?
I would look for a class or classes that cover CHL requisites. Like, in high school if you took drivers ed you could test for your license at a reduced rate or something..

I've had several co-workers ask me the simple question, "So I want to buy a gun, what should I get?" I always ask them if they have an hour or two to sit and chat about it. As contrary to a lot of people's understanding, it isn't a 'simple question'.

It is great you are approaching it with research, good way to start. There are lots of variables to be answered. LOTs. :)

Though, it was my understanding a CHL was required in order to have a weapon in a vehicle?
I would look for a class or classes that cover CHL requisites. Like, in high school if you took drivers ed you could test for your license at a reduced rate or something..

If the gun is in your car and it's loaded, you may have an issue if you don't have a CHL. In Multnomah county, that would be illegal as they consider a car to be a 'public place'. But transporting an unloaded gun to a range or to your home wouldn't be illegal. Get that CHL as soon as you can as that will give you much more leeway in carrying firearms, loaded or unloaded.

That is a whole other ball of worms, if the firearm is unloaded and stored out of reach of the driver you are cool without an CHL. Otherwise, in Oregon, it get sticky. :D

Getting your CHL for Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Arizona might be required for the type of trips you are speaking about. Of course, you would have to avoid California. As while they do issue them, getting one in state (let alone out of state) is next to impossible.

I've had several co-workers ask me the simple question, "So I want to buy a gun, what should I get?" I always ask them if they have an hour or two to sit and chat about it. As contrary to a lot of people's understanding, it isn't a 'simple question'.

It is great you are approaching it with research, good way to start. There are lots of variables to be answered. LOTs. :)
Thanks! Sometimes I feel pretty silly, as I can research something to death. It took me two weeks to settle on a food scale, imagine where my head is at with this!! :eek:
It can be pretty overwhelming, but the ideas given are a great point of reference. I can worry about types, weight, recoil, etc as I learn more.

That is a whole other ball of worms, if the firearm is unloaded and stored out of reach of the driver you are cool without an CHL. Otherwise, in Oregon, it get sticky. :D

Getting your CHL for Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Arizona might be required for the type of trips you are speaking about. Of course, you would have to avoid California. As while they do issue them, getting one in state (let alone out of state) is next to impossible.
Ooh trust that I avoid driving through California anyway! Haha
Good news is Arizona, Idaho, Nevada and Oregon issue to non residents too, so that's a plus.

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! "
Though, I normally apply that logic to knowledge and snacks.

What I found most helpful for my wife was to start with the basic gun safety and handling course. A CHL course isn't necessarily about handling and safety, it's more about the laws and confrontations. Both courses are helpful and teach separate but very important concepts. My opinion is that it's important to get a solid foundation in a structured setting.

As others have already said, volumes have been written about choosing a gun. One of the things to consider is how comfortable the gun is in your hands and how comfortable it is to shoot. Marksmanship is a perishable skill and practice is very important. If you don't like the way the gun feels or shoots, then you won't have fun or gain confidence when practicing.

Here are a couple of my favorite You Tube instruction videos.

This one focuses drawing and presentation (aiming):

...and this one is getting and maintaining a proper grip and pressure on the weapon. This video turned my shooting from hit and miss (literally and figuratively) to being a consistently accurate shot:

Though obtaining ammunition for them is (right now) difficult, the .22LR pistol such as a Ruger 22/45 or a good .22 revolver like the Smith & Wesson Model 17 would be something you'd keep forever, regardless of where you went from there.

I think it's important to get accustomed to mild recoil and safe handling before moving to larger calibers. Too many newer shooters get "spooked" with managing heavy calibers and the experience is not fun, so they develop bad habits or a negative attitude toward the endeavor which can take years to overcome, if ever.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top