JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So... my Singer Heavy Duty 4411 seems to not want to cooperate with the #69 bonded nylon thread and 420D uncoated Nylon fabrics... the symptoms are basically...

Bobbin thread not getting pulled into lock stitch

With 2 layers of webbing on top of nylon fabric, presser foot down, I get gnarly loops

If I flip so that fabric is on top.of 2 layers, little better but I can see knots/loops from top thread..

Bobbin thread just "lays" there, with a seam ripper, I can easily pull it out like a basting stitch.

Fresh #16 and #18 needles tried.

Checked tension dial
Rethreaded machine with tension set to 0
Tension cranked to 7 to 9 depending on how big loops look..

Bobbin tension left alone, did adjust last night, no change in actual stitches...

So.
20211201_113231.jpg

The machine in question.
20211201_111119.jpg
Scrap. Coyote thread was bobbin thread, same size. Smaller stitches from Riccar 2925 school machine.
20211201_111050.jpg
Underside and showing loops from 2 layers of webbing on top, and flipped around.

I have a Singer 15-91 that's awaiting some parts but.. if it doesn't do what I need it to do... even though in theory its supposed to be strong enough... being mostly steel gears with a bakelite gear on the handwheel... I'll have to sell it and look at getting something like what's available from Sailrite.. OR find a decent reputation Industrial Sewing Machine... like a Singer 20U series, a Read's Sailmaker, a Juki, Brothers, or older Consew machines... I don't know. Getting annoyed with stitch quality resembling Chineseeium more than Armani.

Edit. Diagram added of what balanced stitches should look like balanced-stitches.JPG
Right now mine looks just like "upper tension looser than lower" :(

Go commercial.
Uhhh there are different grades of "commercial" sewing machines lol. Singer had a series of "Commercial" sewing machines that aren't much different from the Heavy Duty... but machines like what www.sailrite.com offers, especially their LSZ series of portable Walking Foots seem to be classified as commercial portables, whereas the Sailrite Fabricator machine is in the Industrial class, IE, motor on table, oil bath pans, cone spool holders, 110v to 220v power options...it's in that class range that I'm finding a lot of variations like for example, big sized but only suitable for garments/lingerie or shirt fabrics... so...that's why I'm looking real hard at the machines used in the sailmaking industry and the leather industry as well... Sunbrella and Cordura's used a lot on boats these days.

Wife is a retired professional tailor. She says Singer won't cut it. You need industrial machine for your applications. She says Consew is the way to go. She has a Consew 230. That would meet your needs. But these machines are big and heavy. Definitely not portable.

Yeah; Consew doesn't seem to be that available locally, but it does look like an option.
I'm looking at these
According to Sailrite themselves.. its able to work with heavy canvas, upholstery, sailcloth, vinyl, and the like... on the othet hand.. a machine more like the below

Seems to be better, and is an industrial sized, duty, faster machine...... but...

Reading up on this particular machine it seems like a predecessor to the Sailrite machine but without a walking foot which may or may not be important..

And lastly, I see on Craigslist this machine which makes me wonder...

It looks like a small machine relatively.. I think the model name is supposed to be 20U33, as thats the only ones that matches the color and shaping of this machine... according to the ISMACS Singer model list, the 20U series are all "Artisan" machines for light to medium duty fabrics.. several posts says it does fine with Cordura and Sunbrella fabrics.. but.. eh. I also see on FB marketplace the following models

Brother DB2-B790-5; industrial machine with table and stuff,

Juki DDL-227 industrial machine

Singer 211G-165 industrial compound feed machine (ISMACS says this was used for automotive upholstery, canvas tents/awnings, leather goods)

Hmm on a search for "industrial sewing machine", theres a boatload of old vintage domestic machines similar to Singer 66 and 15-91s :rolleyes:

Check Craigslist often, there are usually a bunch of machines listed there, might just find exactly what you need!
Ordered some parts for the Singer 15-91 , and then took the plastic covers off the Singer 4411 and checked everything, cleaned everything, ensured tension disk assembly cleaned and functional, then put covers back on, and rethreaded machine again, same routing, same Tension setting 0, bobbin tension left alone, fresh #110/18 needle, and... same problem even if I move tension from 5 to 9. It is possible the tension spring is too light/worn out, but I don't want to deal with the annoying C-clip holding the tension dial assembly. Not sure its needed because on light fabrics and thinner all purpose polyester thread, the 4411 does just fine.

Yeah; Consew doesn't seem to be that available locally, but it does look like an option.
Too bad you didn't post this a couple months ago. Had an extra one sitting in the garage. Gave it to a leather worker in Hood River.
Ordered some parts for the Singer 15-91 , and then took the plastic covers off the Singer 4411 and checked everything, cleaned everything, ensured tension disk assembly cleaned and functional, then put covers back on, and rethreaded machine again, same routing, same Tension setting 0, bobbin tension left alone, fresh #110/18 needle, and... same problem even if I move tension from 5 to 9. It is possible the tension spring is too light/worn out, but I don't want to deal with the annoying C-clip holding the tension dial assembly. Not sure its needed because on light fabrics and thinner all purpose polyester thread, the 4411 does just fine.
Wife says nylon thread is hard to work with. She thinks maybe the thread is too thick for the bobbin. She recommends a different type of thread, or a Consew.

ETA: She says try polyester thread. Nylon is too stretchy.

Last Edited:
Too bad you didn't post this a couple months ago. Had an extra one sitting in the garage. Gave it to a leather worker in Hood River.
Dang, yeah..

Wife says nylon thread is hard to work with. She thinks maybe the thread is too thick for the bobbin. She recommends a different type of thread, or a Consew.

ETA: She says try polyester thread. Nylon is too stretchy.
I'm just trying to follow Mil Specs for ALICE equipment and MOLLE... which specifies E/69 bonded nylon thread for 420D Nylon Duck, 500D and 1000D Cordura.

I can't answer your question but this is a good and interesting thread. Thank you!

I do sew but I have not in some time.

My late Mom was an excellent seamstress. That was not her profession though.

My late blood 'Aunt' (Dad's sister.) was a professional seamstress in her home country, later on in the U.K. and when she came to the USA as a LEGAL IMMIGRANT.

Cate

One of the ladies in my former state/township sewed a lot. She and I made some things for our husbands and for our Volunteer Fire/EMT Department. They were volunteers and we helped too.

Her sewing machine was one from Switzerland if my memory is correct there. I have not spoken to her since the winter/spring of 2002.

I heard good things about German, Swiss and Japanese made commercial sewing machines on some old forums that I used to read often but no longer do.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

There's a White Jeans Machine Model 1077 locally, sitting in a thrift store with a manual. The manual has a chart of materials, settings, needle sizes.. from sheers, lingerie, swimwear to canvas, heavy denim, to sailcloth and leather. Whether or not it actually means it'll work with the gear fabrics I have... I am not sure. It made no mention of nylon duck or nylon/polyester webbing.

There's a White Jeans Machine Model 1077 locally, sitting in a thrift store with a manual. The manual has a chart of materials, settings, needle sizes.. from sheers, lingerie, swimwear to canvas, heavy denim, to sailcloth and leather. Whether or not it actually means it'll work with the gear fabrics I have... I am not sure. It made no mention of nylon duck or nylon/polyester webbing.
Wife says it won't do what you want. Don't waste your money. She says home sewing machines aren't good enough for heavy duty work even if they say "heavy duty."

This might work for you:

Wife says Jukis are the best, but they are spendy. This one is almost new:

PFAFFs are good

Last Edited:
Listen to caveman Jim's wife. I've made mistakes of not listening to professionals before and regretted it. There's no such thing as a good deal on the wrong product

Wife says it won't do what you want. Don't waste your money. She says home sewing machines aren't good enough for heavy duty work even if they say "heavy duty."

This might work for you:

Wife says Jukis are the best, but they are spendy. This one is almost new:

PFAFFs are good

That's the one, Juki! We had a bunch of those over in the Riggers Shop, the riggers used them to repair or modify our gear, including making custom fit stuff like custom slings, harnesses, web gear, and the like. I never got the chance to use one but they did seem to be powerful enough to run through some pretty thick and heavy fabric and leather!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top