1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Not reloads, or, were they?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rodell, Aug 25, 2010.

1. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

I had some .357 158 gr that were ostensibly "new", purchased from a gun show in 1990-ish. I took out a few to shoot (getting to the bottom of the barrel) and shot 46. 23 looked like this, scarring the cylinder of my Performance Center 627. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper.

Theory 1: The brass is old and brittle.
    Theory 2: They were reloads, and, hot. (No primer problems, though.)
    Theory 3: A combination of theory 1 and 2.

Just for grins, I used a plug gauge and checked all my cylinders, they are fine.

Any other theories? I have hundreds of these, and, now I'm afraid to shoot any of them in any of my firearms.
  2. kenf729

kenf729 Forest Grove Oregon Member

Think your right...hot loads...i'd pull them apart and reload them...
  3. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

So, the plot, but not the brass, thickens.

I went to take one apart with my impact puller. It took me a good ten minutes. Here's the result of that one.

I think we know why the brass split.

It varies. They are all hard to get out, not all this hard. When I use an impact puller to get them out, the hollow point deforms because I have to hit it so hard/repeatedly.

Here's a look from the top - they are clean inside. Some seem to have a little discoloration at the base, others don't. No tool marks of any kind, though, other than where the bullet was seated.

I'm not going to shoot any more (!), and, I'm not going to tear them apart. I think they were reloads with great case prep, or, done by a second hand shop.

BTW, they were loaded with 7.1 gr of a flake powder.

4. Sawdust

Sawdust Bull Mountain(Tigard), OR Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

That is one heck of a crimp on those. :wow:
  5. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

Interesting. I thought of the possibility of an overly aggressive crimp when I first saw the pictures of the blowouts, but I thought it would have flattened/blown out the primer as well.

Visually, the crimp doesn't look that heavy. I've overcrimped when adjusting my die (or had some stretched brass) and it was pretty obvious when I looked at it.