JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Earlier this year when I bought an older Win 70 to freshen up and use, I looked into buying a new piece of wood for it. Long story short, Boyd's doesn't make a "Post War-Pre 64" model 70 stock. I found this out after perusing their options and was trying to place an order. I was really bummed. I found what I wanted, but they wouldn't build it. :( I had to go another route.
Recently Ruger introduced the Hawkeye Hunter. I've read several articles about it and have been tempted, but it's darn near a duplication of my own rifle and it didn't make sense to buy one. (well, maybe it does, but not in my peabrain) One of the things of the Hunter that caught my attention was the decent wood stock. I used to have other Ruger rifles and nice wood stocks, but I'd let them all go away, keeping only a Hogue.
After poking around on fleabay and not finding anything interesting I thought I'd try Boyd's again.
Wouldn't you know it? All of the options I wanted to do for the Winchester and couldn't are available for the Ruger! Really?!?!? Cool.
I placed the order this morning and am now impatiently waiting.
I'll check things out and bed it when I get it. Looking forward to seeing the finished version.
It's sporting a different scope these days, but this is the "before" pic.
RUGER.jpg

Received shippng notification for my new stock today. Should be here the 2nd. Anxiously awaiting. Will post pics when it gets here.

I have a M77 mkII that I want to do the same to. Bought it with a synthetic stock because the price was right, but I HATE plastic!!! No rifle stays in my cabinet wearing plastic.

I have a M77 mkII that I want to do the same to. Bought it with a synthetic stock because the price was right, but I HATE plastic!!! No rifle stays in my cabinet wearing plastic.
I understand, but I originally put this together as just a tool. A tool that gets very wet.

wet rifle.jpg

This is what I had...
20201202_200439.jpg
Great gun, but lacking character.
Three screws later...
20201202_201443.jpg 20201202_201620.jpg 20201202_201828.jpg
Obviously I've done nothing to the inletting. The barrel channel will require a little work as it's tight on the right side. I'll check for bedding issues, clear the barrel channel and then will glass bed it.
I love the look, the thin wrist and the aggressive checkering. I'll take pics as I go through the process.
Minus all of that work I can tell the rifle fits me better. The LOP is identical to the Hogue, but the cheekpiece works well with my skinny face to make my eye line up with the scope much better. I'd like lower rings, but this is the lowest set Ruger makes in a 30mm.
I'm "all ears" is anyone has a suggestion for stainless 30mm rings that will fit the Ruger notches and are a bit lower.

Happy guy I am.

Last Edited:
Thanks. I've not heard a bad thing about Boyd's and the price seems reasonable for what they offer.
I recently saw a rifle advertised here with a Boyd's on it and it looked great.

Impatiently waiting...... :D
Trust me, with Boyd's stocks it's always worth the wait. You can't possibly go wrong. I own several of them, have on occasion purchased bottom metal plates etc from Diversified Products simply because they are heavier duty than what Boyd's offers when I have needed them.
My all time favorite Boyd's stock (so far) currently rests on my Ruger 77/357 in brushed stainless. It's the At-One, ambidextrous, pistol grip thumb hole variety. Never did like the looks of them much in pictures, but my goodness, it really is much better than expected.
Enjoy that new look when you get it!

DFEDAD17-0C51-47F4-9421-3B22663BDCA6.jpeg

Almost a year later...
Took the time to do a little shooting last weekend and the Ruger got it's first time out since the new stock. I thought I'd try it before doing any bedding work to see if/how it improves.
What surprised me was the fact that it used to be right on at 100 yards but now is about 6" high at 60?
The first two shots are the upper two. Pretty happy that they are so close together. I turned the turret a bit and shot my last 4 shells.
First shots.jpg
I "pulled" one shot out of the lower 4 and I assume it's the one to the right. Looks like vertical stringing I hope to cure with a little bedding.
I noticed that after 6 rounds the barrel isn't quite as off center in the channel as it was before shooting. I'll open that up when I bed it.
better after shooting.jpg
So far I'm pretty happy with the stock. Marks on the inletting from shooting show small irregularities that will be easy to overcome with just a touch of Acraglass. Should be a very easy and minimal bedding job.
First time out in Boyds.jpg
I really like the feel of the wrist and forend. The laser cut checkering is very sharp, but unfortunately a bit fragile. I really like the way the whole thing fits me. The raised cheekpiece is a bit different (better) and I don't crawl the stock nearly as much as I did with the original "boat paddle" or the Hogue. Too bad Ruger doesn't make 30mm low rings.

Hopefully the next installment doesn't take another year. :rolleyes:

Not mentioned in the previous post, I had a little issue with one round.
Check this thread if you're interested. I talk about it there. https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/reading-pressure-signs.383923/
I didn't bed it yet, but I opened up the barrel channel and put a piece of paper in it. I'm going to bed it with a couple of pieces there, but try it with contact at the forend first. One of my Rugers shot incredibly well with a pressure point. Easy to change, Easy to make permanent.
dredge the channel.jpg

I fireformed a batch of cases today. Shot a target and rang a gong at 100 yards. Took a while to shoot 24 rounds without cooking the barrel. Came home and found the last batch I formed years ago still in the tumbler...

I mixed up some bedding compound tonite and contrary to how I bedded my last rifle, I went minimalist on the bedding. Just a little at the recoil block and then a small amount where each action screw enters the action and some at the rear of the trigger guard.

The results. Obviously the stock is no where near the action at the front trigger guard screw and that was a waste, but I'm pretty happy with the rest of it.
Bedding 1.jpg Bedding 2.jpg Bedding 3.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top