JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Decades ago, when I turned 21 (....sigh...) I gave myself a birthday present; one of the very first Ruger Redhawk's in the area, 44 Mag, with the 7.5" barrel. An odd choice for a first gun, except I had a buddy with a loading setup and a Blackhawk in the same caliber. To this day, every time I pull the trigger on that gun, I smile a little. The 'thump' is just about right; not too big, not too small..... :D

While "friends don't let friends buy Taurus", I've got to tell you I'd always wanted a .357 caliber wheel gun, and was tempted at a gun show some time back by a Taurus 66 (the 'seven shooter') in the 4" version. It's been a great gun; SA pull is quite good, and DA isn't too far off either. It's every bit as accurate as I am, and has been a solid firearm. I use it with .38 special rounds for new shooters as a transition gun for center fire pistol cartridges. For the money, I have no regrets on the Taurus.

You really don't know what you are talking about.

I got paid to watch people shoot at an indoor range for ten hours a day for six months and I saw what I saw. The autos chambered in .22 rimfire were jam-0-matics. We have had shortages of .22 rimfire ammo, sometimes it was not available, when it was available it was often low quality. Revolvers will function, the autos don't.

BTW, a .22 is not a suitable caliber for gunfighting, so stop with your Walter Mitty nonsense about going to war with a .22 rimfire. Get a seriously caliber like .40 or .45 and stay away from "Fudd" calibers designed for small game and vermin.

Last Edited:
A good .22 pistol, well maintained, with good ammo, can be very reliable. Just because a dirty gun shooting cheap bulk ammo is a "jam-o-matic", doesn't mean they all are.

A good .22 pistol, well maintained, with good ammo, can be very reliable. Just because a dirty gun shooting cheap bulk ammo is a "jam-o-matic", doesn't mean they all are.
A clean gun gets dirty real fast when using cheap, bulk .22 ammo which was the only .22 ammo available during a time of shortages. I seen alot of quality name brand pistols choke.

Now explain your Walter Mitty desire about going to war with a .22 rimfire.

Last Edited:
A clean gun gets dirty real fast when using cheap, bulk .22 ammo which was the only .22 ammo available during a time of shortages. I seen alot of quality name brand pistols choke.

Now explain your Walter Mitty desire about going to war with a .22 rimfire.
Friends dont let friends shoot thundrecrap or any other bulk 22. They do remind them to stock up on quality stuff when it is available though, so they wont be whining when shortages do happen, which they have been regularly for the last 25yrs. I have more rimfire than I will ever shoot in my lifetime and expect my grandkids to still be shooting it long after I'm gone including 22s, 22l, 22lr, 22shot, 22mag and 17hmr. I'm not a hoarder it's just because you cant reload it, well not effectively anyway.

Not sure where the going to war aspect came from I haven't read the whole thread but I did see mention of SHTF which is not war but more survival aspect. Anyway if thats all you did have it would at least get you another bigger, better caliber much like the liberty pistols did in the 40's. The Armalite AR7 is also another example of feed yourself and get a bigger gun type 22 as well and was used/stored in aircraft. Besides didnt your drill instructor tell ya to clean your "gun" every night before bed so it wouldnt get all gunked up.

Friends dont let friends shoot thundrecrap or any other bulk 22. They do remind them to stock up on quality stuff when it is available though, so they wont be whining when shortages do happen, which they have been regularly for the last 25yrs. I have more rimfire than I will ever shoot in my lifetime and expect my grandkids to still be shooting it long after I'm gone including 22s, 22l, 22lr, 22shot, 22mag and 17hmr. I'm not a hoarder it's just because you cant reload it, well not effectively anyway.

Not sure where the going to war aspect came from I haven't read the whole thread but I did see mention of SHTF which is not war but more survival aspect. Anyway if thats all you did have it would at least get you another bigger, better caliber much like the liberty pistols did in the 40's. The Armalite AR7 is also another example of feed yourself and get a bigger gun type 22 as well and was used/stored in aircraft. Besides didnt your drill instructor tell ya to clean your "gun" every night before bed so it wouldnt get all gunked up.A
If one is going to stockpile, then stockpile serious calibers like .40 and .45 for defense. BTW, the Liberty Pistol of WWII was .45 caliber, but a 1911 is better for SHTF. My point stands that .22 rimfire is for small game, vermin, and casual plinking. A revolver is a better choice for reliability with .22 rimfire ammunition, especially when we already had shortages and there has not been a "red wave" to overcome a progressive gun control agenda.

Last Edited:
I have no idea what you're talking about. I have no desire to ever go to war.
The "Fudd" comment is a perjorative about gun owners like Jim Zumbo that would abolish guns designed for gunfighting rather than sport. Fudd is derived from the "Elmer Fudd" hunter character in the bugs bunny cartoons. I was called such by a Walter Mitty cretin because I recommended a revolver for reliability with .22 rimfire ammunition. These Walter Mitty types like to brand anyone as a Fudd for suggesting any firearm that is not a "tactical" firearm. This on a discussion thread about revolvers.

Last Edited:
If one is going to stockpile, then stockpile serious calibers like .40 and .45 for defense. BTW, the Liberty Pistol of WWII was .45 caliber, but a 1911 is better for SHTF. My point stands that .22 rimfire is for small game, vermin, and casual plinking. A revolver is a better choice for reliability with .22 rimfire ammunition, especially when we already had shortages and there has not been a "red wave" to overcome a progressive gun control agenda.
Annnnnnd who says I dont have a stockpile of bigger calibers on hand. Opinions are like bungholes, everybody done gots one. I havnt noticed a shortage myself except for all the complaints and whining's of those who dont have the foresight to stock up when what they use is widely available and reasonably priced. But this is a subject for a different thread.

Now back to our previously posted topic...........

Not one revolver in the safe - If you were to get ONE revolver what would it be?

Last Edited:
A good way to describe someone that trolls about "fudds". But I suspect that you have post counts online confused with experience in the field. :rolleyes:
I'm thinking 6 months of watching other people shoot isn't much real world experience. At least not compared to my over 40 years of being a competitive shooter. One thing I will give you is that good ammo is good ammo and crappy ammo is crap. It doesn't matter the caliber or gun. My small bore bullseye gun was a Hammerilli Trailside, once I figured out what it shot best that is all I fed it. I do own a bunch of revolvers but none of them are a .22 for no other reason than my Buckmark shoots so well.

The "Fudd" comment is a perjorative about gun owners like Jim Zumbo that would abolish guns designed for gunfighting rather than sport. Fudd is derived from the "Elmer Fudd" hunter character in the bugs bunny cartoons. I was called such by a Walter Mitty cretin because I recommended a revolver for reliability with .22 rimfire ammunition. These Walter Mitty types like to brand anyone as a Fudd for suggesting any firearm that is not a "tactical" firearm. This on a discussion thread about revolvers.
I know what a "Fudd" is, and I know who Walter Mitty was. I just missed the connection, and who said anything about going to war with a .22 pistol. I merely made comment that is was not accurate to say that .22 LR pistols are not reliable with "most" ammo. Personally I have plenty of automatics and revolvers, single and double action, in .22 LR.

I have plenty of quality rimfire ammo, but I also buy and shoot cheap bulk ammo sometimes. If I get an occasional batch that doesn't work reliably in a pistol, it gets shot up in revolvers. I love revolvers, but I'm neither a "Fudd" nor am I "Walter Mitty". I don't understand the need for name-calling or combativeness.

One revolver for a reloader? Ruger Redhawk 44 mag 7 1/2" bbl. You are covered from genteel squib loads to 44 Special strength to full blown 44 Mag and pretty hot bear loads that would destroy a 629. You can also buy or load 44 cal snake shot loads using the CCI/Speer sabots and whatever shot you have laying around. Nothing more versatile out there.

I have nothing against wheel guns. For some odd reason, I just don't own a single one. Lots of bolt actions, single shots but everything else takes a clip or a magazine. The first handgun I shot was a nickel plated .38 Police Special snub nose SW, which seems like the one to get for history's sake. BUT I don't have a desire to go to the range and plink away with it and I am not going to suddenly switch my EDC to it.

So for a wheel gun what would be the "fun" one to have? I mean fun to shoot. (If I own it, I shoot it) I also like to do my own reloading so I would roll my own for it too, so I can speed it up or slow it down as desired.
When it comes to revolvers, you need to get a pair.

GP 100 002.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top