Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Not One Box of 22!!!!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Rant, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Rant

Rant grand forks bc Member

Went to Omak Wa today and I could not find one box of 22 long or 22 mag!!!! lots of 17 hmr and super mag !!! not one box in that whole town!!

So this is like 3 years!!!!> theres something going on HERE!!!!!

In a whole town you cant even buy 50 22 long cartridges>amazing!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2016
  2. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Not uncommon.

IheartSig, tlfreek, WAYNO and 2 others like this.
  3. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

I usually buy my ammo at Bimart when it is on sale as you can't beat the price. However, I never see any 22 on the shelves. I have enough plinking 22, but I will have to order on line some more of the 22 match ammo for the race gun on line before it goes crazy in price again or completely disappears.

4. Cherpybird

Cherpybird Portland Active Member

I have a big pile of it if you want it!

5. BlackRyder

BlackRyder Edmonds Well-Known Member

Come to lynnwood- we've got plenty! (For now, anyway) although I feel like In a few months the supply is going to dry up again. I've seriously been considering buying up a bunch of it just so I can sell it at non-arm and a leg prices to those in need- to do my good deed for the year.

6. Rant

That's nice you have a pile but Omak has no pile at all!

7. Cherpybird

Cherpybird Portland Active Member

Come buy mine.

8. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

A slight epiphany.

This (and the last few years), kind of answers the question: in a SHTF or similar situation, which ammo (or other consumable for that matter) will be harder or easiest to find - the most popular, or the least popular?

I have always asserted that the most popular would be the easiest to find it is simply the more likely to be any given place you go looking for it. I.E., you are more likely to find 9MM Para than some newly created wunder-cartridge or .45 GAP/Super or .440 Corbon. That is still true - I think.

However, comparing 9mm Para to .40 S&W or .357 SIG? You might find the latter still on the shelf and not 9mm Para, because the latter would be popular enough to be stocked in limited quantities at most stores that sell ammo, while not so popular that it flies off the shelf because everybody has a pistol chambered for it. Or, for a limited time, you might find it, but you probably wouldn't at some point not soon afterwards because those who need it would grab the limited quantity.

Some might consider me a hoarder of .22 rimfire ammo because I have somewhere between 15K and 20K rounds of .22 RF - but then I also have six .22 RF rifles and three .22 RF handguns, and three people to stock ammo for, so I am thinking I have barely enough. I am not going to sell it, and I don't go out and buy every box that is offered - indeed, I haven't bought any in almost a year.

I have seen PSA sell name brand .22 LR ammo with no limits at 7 cents per round (on sale, not regular price), with free shipping at over $100 or ten cartons (I forget which), which is not really "scalping". Cabelas has sales at about the same price, but with limits - used to be one carton, now it is two. Same thing with Gander Mountain and a few other ammo sellers.

They also sold premium ammo for a few cents more to about 14 cents per round.

In short, in the last month, if I had wanted to, I could have bought 5K to 10K of bulk RF ammo for about 7 to 7.5 cents per round, including shipping, delivered to my house. I probably would have had to order 5 different brands/types of ammo from 3 or 4 different sellers, but it is out there.

So why go to a LGS and expect it to be there? That is the first place scalpers go.

9. The Heretic

Omak is not a thriving megapolis. It has three small gun stores if you include the pawn shop. :rolleyes:

Now if he had driven through Seattle or Spokane and not been able to find anything in any store, that would be news.

bimmerstuff and Sgt Nambu like this.
  10. Rant

Well its like coming to a saloon and saying whisky and the bar tender say well mister I can give you water , then you say I will go over the street to the other saloon and he just smiles and says good luck!i

Dyjital likes this.
  11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Difficult to believe that a city of 4,800 people wouldn't have anything one could wish for.

etrain16 and The Heretic like this.
  12. Rant

A Whole town out of 22 ammo!! Amazing. 20 YEARS AGO THEY WOULD OF TAKEN YOU TO THE NUT HOUSE IF YOU POSTED THIS!

Cherpybird likes this.
  13. The Heretic

If you live out in the boonies, all the more reason to order online - if you can.

I see you are from BC so I don't know if you could do that (customs, laws, etc.), but for the rest of us it makes sense. I have not seen a carton of .22 RF ammo in a LGS in years. I am sure they have it periodically, for a short time - that is what people tell me anyway - but it is sold within a few days, or even a few hours.

I've bought all my ammo recently (last couple of years) from people selling it here.

14. Rant

Difficult to believe that a city of 4,800 people wouldn't have anything>>>> yOU THINK I'm LYING > upload_2016-6-12_17-41-26.png GIVE NORTH 40 A CALL IN Omak and anywhere else in that town!

15. Rant

I see you are from BC so I don't know if you could do that (customs, laws, etc.),

16. Rant

Ammo Guns To the border and bring it across no problem !! at least on the Canadian side >your country of the proud and brave have a hang up about it????

17. The Heretic

Not sure what you said there, but no - I have no problems with anybody buying ammo here and taking it home. I just wasn't sure if you could or not given the way customs/etc. gets about bring stuff across borders, either way.

Good for you then - buy some online like I recommended.

WAYNO likes this.
  18. Rant

Thanks, but this thread is not about you or me>its about a town with no 22 ammo!

19. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

The "town" probably doesn't have a 5 guys burger joint either. Size matters.

aksu747 and Vaultman like this.
  20. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I just got back from Sportsman's Warehouse in Tanasbourne and they have all kinds of .22LR on the shelf. I even picked up a brick of Federal Automatch just because I haven't bought any .22 in over a year. I've walked past many a brick there because I'm fairly stocked up and wanted to give a fellow shooter a chance to get some. You might have to drive a little farther than your town to find it, but its out there.

nammac, cigars and Sgt Nambu like this.