JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got to handle a Belgium-made High Power that had the sight ladder tangent in the rear. The sights were a pinpoint ^ triangle type and had a graduated sight leaf marked 50m-100+. The slide had a bit of slop in it. Other than that the mechanics were fine. I suppose I expected more, after hearing about this pistol so much???:(

Perhaps, I need to handle a military model or I'm just used to more modern pistols Springfield XD, Glock, etc. with nice sight pictures.

You know. Perhaps it was just this example. The 1911 is 100+ year design, I would definitely carry that over a Hi Power. I think the sights are drastically better.
I've never been impressed with tangent sights either. Fortunately there are other fixed and adjustable options.

-E-

You know. Perhaps it was just this example. The 1911 is 100+ year design, I would definitely carry that over a Hi Power. I think the sights are drastically better.
The 1911 is somewhat a bad example…the OG had pretty junk sights by today's standards…every 1911 made today (well, most I'd guess) is using more modern sights.

Perhaps, I need to handle a military model or I'm just used to more modern pistols Springfield XD, Glock, etc. with nice sight pictures.
Obligatory

1631829174545.png

There is a reason they command $1200 and most 9mm are in the $500 range. Until I fired one at a target I didn't understand the hype. They just feel like they were built for your hand and hit what you aim for. Even the clones are better in my opinion than most plastic guns.

Like so many other surplus stories, this one is a wrap . You are either waiting around for someone to die, and have the widow just release the whole collection back into the wild, or you're going to overpay.

The 1911 is somewhat a bad example…the OG had pretty junk sights by today's standards…every 1911 made today (well, most I'd guess) is using more modern sights.

I still think the 1911 GI has the leg up here on sights. The other oddity of the High Power is that it needed a mag inserted to rack the slide. Otherwise it was locked. Unless I was doing it wrong.?

I would say the pros are Ergonomics amd capacity on the High Power.

No, you can rack the slide all day long without a magazine in it, you just can't pull the trigger. I've had that mag safety removed from my HP's long ago.
I'm curious How old was that Hi Power with the slop in it?

I still think the 1911 GI has the leg up here on sights. The other oddity of the High Power is that it needed a mag inserted to rack the slide. Otherwise it was locked. Unless I was doing it wrong.?

I would say the pros are Ergonomics amd capacity on the High Power.
So ,you know how you have to remove the stock, plastic glock sights and replace them?
The hi power has a magazine safety in the trigger that must also be removed. That is, unless you're a fan of extra breakable stuff.

No, you can rack the slide all day long without a magazine in it, you just can't pull the trigger. I've had that mag safety removed from my HP's long ago.
I'm curious How old was that Hi Power with the slop in it?

It was stamped 69C11xxx according to the registry its a 69-75. What you said sounds about right too. I was attempting to dry fire it without a mag.

I've always liked the Hi Power. There are some Turkish clones coming in that I might have to see about grabbing one. Price depending…

1631831290903.png

I have an Inglis High-Power that has the tangent sights and slotted frame. They were made for use with a butt stock. No, the sights aren't that great. How often would anyone ever attempt 500 meter shots with it anyway? I do like it for what it is though, and the history behind it.

The sights on the older BHPs all suck. Just like how the sights on older 1911s suck. Either with modern sights is great.

I have two BHPs. One (a 1972) had Novak sights added and the other is a 2008 MK III which has perfectly usable stock sights.

The trigger is fine on both the Novak custom (it better be for what I paid) and the MK III. Both have the mag safety removed. Few other pistols point as naturally as a BHP. At least for me.

Not everyone can appreciate the true beauty and perfection of the BHP. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads