JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It seems this is the best forum for this question. I watch the classifieds all the time. Ya never know when something might pop up that you just didn't realize you NEED!

Anyway, I see lots of people looking for trades. I suppose I understand being willing to trade instead of selling for cash.

But why, pray tell, do people ONLY want to trade and ask that no cash offers be made or "Only trades at this time"?

I'm just interested. No skin off my nose and this is a free country. I'm just wondering if there is a whole world of firearm trading that I am missing because I only buy and sell (I've done a little of both on this site).

Often cash evaporates before you can reinvest in the toy you want, where swapping you maintain value, you're not going to give away a third of your gun through time

But still, this should be in discussion, not the classifieds

Maybe they're just looking for something new and cool instead of trying to sell. Alot of the guys here play the trading game more often than not and it's just par for the course. That and it's like recycling without looking like a hippy.

Some trade guns, as often as changing the roll of toilet paper, others seldom or never. I have seen this apply to many different things in life, girlfriends, wifes , motorcycles, cars etc.. Variety can be the spice of life for some, but not all. I still miss many guns that I wish I still had, not so much for girlfriends and wifes.

Thanks for moving the thread. I just thought the audience was more focused to have it in the actual classifieds.

I'm just someone who doesn't allow money to flow like water. When I wanted to move from a Glock 19 to a 1911, I took the time to sell the G19 and all the accessories while looking for the right 1911. And then I paid cash for the SA Loaded.

I just don't think I'd get the best deal with trades. Obviously, that wouldn't always be the case. I just don't understand ONLY asking for trades.

Maybe cash just isn't as precious a commodity in this house, as it is in some other houses.

I'm surprised this thread went this far without mentioning this (although some came close, and maybe this is what they meant):

A trade has the wonderful possibility of both parties coming away believing they made the best deal. It allows and cultivates material recognition toward what a party might desire, and compensates in value for that desire.

In other words, one guy has always wanted a good Colt .45ACP: Goes to the quarry often with buddies, has a .22 auto, wants a real thumper. He has Uncle Fred's M94 .30-30, but will probably never go deer hunting. Guy number two has a Series 80 he bought years back, and it has sat in the safe ever since. Recently, he's been bitten by the Winchester bug, and a good '94would be an excellent way to start a collection. He's also bored with smacking the local deer with a scope-sighted bolt gun, and thinks stalking them old style will add spice.

The trade is made, (maybe with some ammo, accessories or such to equalize either way) and both guys are happier than clams. The Colt and the Winchester see more use in the following month than they've seen for ten years. Even the guns are happy.

Make sense? (By the way, I'm often frustrated by "trade only" ads too. But I do understand the motivation.)

I feel it depends on what the item is. If someone had a SCAR in the classifieds, they would get many more offers by way of trades as opposed to cash offers. When I put up my Desert Eagle .50 w/ extras I was looking to trade more than cash so I put a price of $1600 on it. I ended up getting an MSAR STG-556 (AUG Clone) an EOtech 552 and $300 out of the deal(much more than $1600), from a guy who wanted an Eagle that badly but couldn't get the cash. I think more people are willing to "take a hit" if they find something they want to trade for.

I feel it depends on what the item is. If someone had a SCAR in the classifieds, they would get many more offers by way of trades as opposed to cash offers. When I put up my Desert Eagle .50 w/ extras I was looking to trade more than cash so I put a price of $1600 on it. I ended up getting an MSAR STG-556 (AUG Clone) an EOtech 552 and $300 out of the deal(much more than $1600), from a guy who wanted an Eagle that badly but couldn't get the cash. I think more people are willing to "take a hit" if they find something they want to trade for.

Damn! I am pretty envious right now!

I just traded a siaga for a howa worth a couple hundred less because I didnt have the desire to wat until I had the cash for a project I want to build. I am Inpatient and broke( bad combo) so It was better for me to turn over a toy for something new....as long as both parties are smilin when the deal is done :s0155: Its sorta like trading hotwheels when you are a kid.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top