Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

NOT AN AD!! Why do so many like to trade?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by CHLChris, Oct 24, 2010.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

It seems this is the best forum for this question. I watch the classifieds all the time. Ya never know when something might pop up that you just didn't realize you NEED!

Anyway, I see lots of people looking for trades. I suppose I understand being willing to trade instead of selling for cash.

But why, pray tell, do people ONLY want to trade and ask that no cash offers be made or "Only trades at this time"?

I'm just interested. No skin off my nose and this is a free country. I'm just wondering if there is a whole world of firearm trading that I am missing because I only buy and sell (I've done a little of both on this site).

2. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil Salem, OR Active Member

Often cash evaporates before you can reinvest in the toy you want, where swapping you maintain value, you're not going to give away a third of your gun through time

But still, this should be in discussion, not the classifieds

3. Ethereal

Ethereal Kent, WA Member

Maybe they're just looking for something new and cool instead of trying to sell. Alot of the guys here play the trading game more often than not and it's just par for the course. That and it's like recycling without looking like a hippy.

4. oregonshooter

oregonshooter AMERICA Member

The wife can spend cash, harder to spend an AK. :)

5. JD42

JD42 Scotts Mills Active Member

It is nice to see what you can find. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

6. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Moved to general firearms section

7. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

Another reason is that since the holidays are coming up, people don't have a lot of extra spending money. So if they want a new gun, they have to do a trade.

8. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

Trades can actually be more fun then a straight sale ..... 'Course I offer both options ... :)

9. novamind

novamind Hillsboro Active Member

Some trade guns, as often as changing the roll of toilet paper, others seldom or never. I have seen this apply to many different things in life, girlfriends, wifes , motorcycles, cars etc.. Variety can be the spice of life for some, but not all. I still miss many guns that I wish I still had, not so much for girlfriends and wifes.

10. pdx lefty

pdx lefty portland Active Member

+1! But you gotta love them for trying though!?!?

11. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

Thanks for moving the thread. I just thought the audience was more focused to have it in the actual classifieds.

I'm just someone who doesn't allow money to flow like water. When I wanted to move from a Glock 19 to a 1911, I took the time to sell the G19 and all the accessories while looking for the right 1911. And then I paid cash for the SA Loaded.

I just don't think I'd get the best deal with trades. Obviously, that wouldn't always be the case. I just don't understand ONLY asking for trades.

Maybe cash just isn't as precious a commodity in this house, as it is in some other houses.

12. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Short answer, Trades are more fun.

13. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

a Taurus Public Defender Polymer, what should I offer you for a trade? NO, you can't have the Del-Ton back!! Maybe the Draco?

The "Trade Ratings" is low by 3!
    Some people just don't post it I guess

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC member
    ACSWW member

14. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

'Almost' like being at a Gunshow .... :)

15. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised this thread went this far without mentioning this (although some came close, and maybe this is what they meant):

A trade has the wonderful possibility of both parties coming away believing they made the best deal. It allows and cultivates material recognition toward what a party might desire, and compensates in value for that desire.

In other words, one guy has always wanted a good Colt .45ACP: Goes to the quarry often with buddies, has a .22 auto, wants a real thumper. He has Uncle Fred's M94 .30-30, but will probably never go deer hunting. Guy number two has a Series 80 he bought years back, and it has sat in the safe ever since. Recently, he's been bitten by the Winchester bug, and a good '94would be an excellent way to start a collection. He's also bored with smacking the local deer with a scope-sighted bolt gun, and thinks stalking them old style will add spice.

The trade is made, (maybe with some ammo, accessories or such to equalize either way) and both guys are happier than clams. The Colt and the Winchester see more use in the following month than they've seen for ten years. Even the guns are happy.

Make sense? (By the way, I'm often frustrated by "trade only" ads too. But I do understand the motivation.)

16. das_napeth

das_napeth Snohomish, WA Member

I feel it depends on what the item is. If someone had a SCAR in the classifieds, they would get many more offers by way of trades as opposed to cash offers. When I put up my Desert Eagle .50 w/ extras I was looking to trade more than cash so I put a price of $1600 on it. I ended up getting an MSAR STG-556 (AUG Clone) an EOtech 552 and $300 out of the deal(much more than $1600), from a guy who wanted an Eagle that badly but couldn't get the cash. I think more people are willing to "take a hit" if they find something they want to trade for.

17. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Damn! I am pretty envious right now!

18. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

To answer your Q.
    YES. YOU ARE MISSING OUT. :bluelaugh:

Dave

19. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

ive been buying selling and trading since 1970.in history,our economy was based on trade/barter one way or another.:) i look forward to what trade comes up next!

20. i8asquirrel

i8asquirrel Keizer, oregon Member

I just traded a siaga for a howa worth a couple hundred less because I didnt have the desire to wat until I had the cash for a project I want to build. I am Inpatient and broke( bad combo) so It was better for me to turn over a toy for something new....as long as both parties are smilin when the deal is done :thumbup: Its sorta like trading hotwheels when you are a kid.