JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was trying to offer some advice for a gal for home defense a while back (but that was like 8 years back) who was living in the country alone and had late night visitor door knob rattle issues. I found some great advice on Shoot Like A Girl - Women's Shooting Sports I just pulled it up now and didn't see the stuff I found then (ie,things like if you are smaller look for a youth 20 ga and master it instead of starting with a 12 ga for home defense etc etc). The challenges that women face are much different than us men, and thus, I have no advice for anyone on this thread, but I will say I'm glad you jumped in and are working on your skills. It's something most of the rest of us should be doing as well.

PS, thanks for the grip you tube vids up there. Good stuff.

Let me/us know what you think of The Well Armed Women meeting, if you are able to go. The closest one for me is Eugene and that is a bit of a voyage one way, but it looked very interesting.

Let me/us know what you think of The Well Armed Women meeting, if you are able to go. The closest one for me is Eugene and that is a bit of a voyage one way, but it looked very interesting.
I sure will! The next meeting is next week on my birthday so unfortunately I won't be able to attend but I will try in May!

One thing I would mention also which I haven't seen anyone mention, and if they have I appologize, is to get very familiar with any gun you own or use, especially for self defense. Learn how to clear jams and fix any malfunctions of the gun you use and carry.
Most of the time people get into trouble in this area of not knowing how to correct these things when under pressure, or in a self defense shooting scenario when you need to know these things like it's second nature. It's because its at times like these that it just might save your life.

Know how to disassemble and reassemble your gun or guns too, and practice doing it and learn how it is made to function. Like most the others said here, practice, practice , and practice shooting.

Try different types of ammo to see what your gun likes to shoot the best also, and do that at the range, because you don't want to find out that a certain type of ammo won't feed and function in your gun when you need to rely on it when you need it the most.

Like others said also, is that what things work for one person doesn't work the same for another. Try shooting in many positions because in a real life scenario , you don't know what positions which may be needed in a given situation, or what positions may be used and which ones may not. So it's nice to be practiced up in various shooting positions.

I have friends who shoot for team Smith and Wesson and team Springfield, one friend shoots a 5 gallon bucket of 45acp almost daily when he practices shooting, and he also wears wrist wraps and shooting gloves. So practice to get good is a key factor for many reasons, not just for accuracy, but also consistency in your use and proficiency of the gun.

Oh, and about the flinching problem. Concentrate on squeezing off a smooth accurate shot with BOTH eyes open not one eye open. Forget about feeling recoil, and the noise, and just be focused on hitting your target and let things flow. Pretty soon your target groups will tighten, and flinching fades away.
Have fun shooting and welcome aboard:D:cool:

Last Edited:
I sure will! The next meeting is next week on my birthday so unfortunately I won't be able to attend but I will try in May!
I know the people who run the WAW group at Threat Dynamics-they actually go to Ladies League at TriCounty! They are a great group of people and you will really enjoy it.

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Ck, OR
The Well Armed Women
2nd Thursday monthly 6:30-8:30pm
Ladies League
2nd and 4th Wednesday monthly
Club Calendar
I don't go to WAW but I also know the person who runs the one at DR. She is a great lady and also runs Appleseed classes as well as going to LL at DR.
I go to the LL at DR but it is more geared towards competitive shooting than defensive shooting but of course the skills transfer.

I don't see anyone pounded on dry firing exercises, so let me make the pitch for playing inside. Since you are just a few miles down the road from me feel free to reach out if you would like to try a MantisX or a Targetize bluetooth device that you mount on the gun's rail and it gives feedback to your phone or tablet how you are shooting whether dry, with CO2 or live ammo. The score from 0 to 100 is rather motivating and most people make a substantial improvement in just minutes. Then it is just strengthening that muscle memory.

Thank you all again for your advice!! I signed up for a membership at a range last night for that practice, practice, practice. Scheduled a private lesson with an instructor so I'm not practicing bad habits. Shot a few rounds through a G43, feels much better in my hands than my current G42 carry, so I'll be upgrading here shortly. Like today hopefully :D like I need an excuse to get a new gun. :p

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top