Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Not a good showing for the Taurus 709 Slim next to me.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Nov 29, 2009.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Well, I went to the range today and the guy next to me was shooting a Taurus 709 Slim. I was shooting my Glock 33 and Kahr PM40. During the day we started talking about each other's guns. I told him that Taurus looked really interesting. He said he had almost bought a Kahr like mine but the Taurus was so cheap he figured he would try it. Long story short, as we were shooting I heard him start cussing. His trigger had completely busted. It would just flop back and forth. Not a good thing from a new gun.

PS: He said he was just about at the 250 round mark when it happened.

2. DeLorean

DeLorean Washington/Oregon Member

Too bad, those guns looked promising. A good warranty is no match for high quality and strength.

3. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

He must have got a 'lemon'. Taurus generally puts out a very, very good product.
    This of course, could happen to any make of firearm.

4. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

Thanks Penguin, I'm glad to see some "negative" (read as informative) comments about firearms on here. Too often we get the "omg I just bought a jennings and a hi-point, they're the best ever they work perfectly and when I become a member of the SAS I'll carry both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

It's just nice to see the converse sometimes :)

5. wavo

wavo Portland Member

Haha weebs. Nice.

I actually agree. Sure any gun manufacturer could have a lemon from time-to-time but more often then not when I read forums it seems EVERY gun is amazing.
    I'm glad I didn't go with the 709 as my CC, but it does look so promising, and I remember it felt really good in my hand.

6. d1esel

d1esel Ridgefield WA. Member

The first pistol I ever bought was a Taurus PT-945 in stainless. It was good looking and reliable. But the fit was very loose. It is definitely the most inaccurate handgun I have shot.

7. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

ANYONE can produce a lemon. My first Dan Wesson CBOB didn't even make it thru a full magazine without a catastrophic fatal error, but to their credit, DW made it good on their warranty and them some. The CBOB they replaced it with has been flawless.

8. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I'm hoping this is a fluke. I just got a 709 Slim in.

I don't want to sell a crappy gun.............

9. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Wait to pass judgment. I recall the first problems with the Ruger LCP's, and they worked it out and took care of people, although the problem with the LCP's was a far more serious problem.

10. 86-0134

86-0134 north willamette valley Member

where is the taurus 709 slim manufactured?

11. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Yeah its totally worthless now Andrew, I'll give you $50 for it :D

12. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

$51 plus a foot rub from PhysicsGuy. :)