JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today, my dog somehow sneaked out of the house and my family spent hours looking for him. After about a 3 hour search, we get a call from a vet saying that he was dropped off but got hit by a car and is in critical condition. I left work early and wow it just broke my heart to see my helpless, furry buddy laying there helpless and drugged up (doggy Morphine). Thank God, a kind good Samaritan picked him up off the side of the road, fighting for his life, and turned him in to a good vet clinic, which just so happened to be our vet clinic.

The good Samaritan says that he saw a lady in a red volvo 10 cars ahead around 202nd-205th and Powell, hit our dog and drive off and the 9 cars behind her, stopped and stared. Some of them even got out of their cars and then went back in and drove off. This happened in the Gresham area around sometime between 10am-11am.

If anyone has any information or "heard" something please contact me immediately and I will be very thankful you did. The bill is $5,160, which is too much for a struggling family of 3 to bear. Thank you all again and God bless.

Man, that' absolutely awful, I am so sorry your dog and family is suffering.

Not to be the bad guy here, but the red Volvo is not at fault, in fact if the Volvo suffered any damage you are responsible for it.

I have been in your shoes before, I suggest you put the dog down. You can't affford to put your family in a bad situation over a pet, family comes first, and if and when the dog does heal, he will likely get run over again.

I know it sounds cold, but it would have been cheaper to put the animal down. God knows how much suffering he will have to endure or what the future Vet Bills will be to address issues later on.

I feel for ya bud, lost my little cat "scratch" a couple weeks ago to a fight with another cat. I was pretty broke up. He would come out to the shop when I was reloading and watch hunting shows with me. Buried him in the yard with a headstone my kids decorated.

Man that is terrible to hear.

But be careful what you ask for
If anyone has any information or "heard" something please contact me immediately and I will be very thankful you did. The bill is $5,160, which is too much for a struggling family of 3 to bear. Thank you all again and God bless.

You will be responsible for any damage your dog created.Like her car or if someone else had hit her car when she braked.
She's still a putz for driving off.

And guys,the vet has already done the work so telling him to put the dog down ain't helping. But I must agree.

Sorry about your dog, I couldn't put an injured family member down when they could be saved either. As far as you being responsible for any damage to the red volvo, it is probably true but I don't agree with it at all. Following the same premise, If I hit a deer with my car is the state responsible for the damage? It's the states deer, why wouldn't the state be responsible for the damage? Double standards suck! I hope your dog gets healed up.

That is an awful day all right. I feel sorrow for your dog and you and your family. Hope he recovers. What kind of dog is he? Just curious. Again, good luck.

Sorry about your dog, I couldn't put an injured family member down when they could be saved either. As far as you being responsible for any damage to the red volvo, it is probably true but I don't agree with it at all. Following the same premise, If I hit a deer with my car is the state responsible for the damage? It's the states deer, why wouldn't the state be responsible for the damage? Double standards suck! I hope your dog gets healed up.

I am sorry as well.. My buddy "pepper" i could never put down. He is a friend and almost a son. He has warded off two "almost intruders" with my wife while i was away. One could have turned out terrible. Always brings back the game i shoot and sleeps at the foot of my bed every night. I couldn't think of it. Pm sent if you need help.

Jei_A,

So sorry for your situation. Explain to the vet your financial situation and see if they can cut you a break in any way or at least offer financing.

A co-worker buffaloed me into paying $2400 to 'repair' an office cat so that was for an animal I didn't even care about; vets are pirates; they know people love their pets and they get a blank check.

Now that you have a $5500 dog take drastic measures to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Don't feel too bad about shelling out the $$$. USAtoday did a poll asking if people would take a million dollars cash for their family pet and 60% said no.

While this may be true, I am also pretty certain that the Oregon Vehicle Code requires a driver to stop and aid a domestic animal if they hit it. I would have to look it up to be certain but I think I am correct.
Man, that' absolutely awful, I am so sorry your dog and family is suffering.

Not to be the bad guy here, but the red Volvo is not at fault, in fact if the Volvo suffered any damage you are responsible for it.

I have been in your shoes before, I suggest you put the dog down. You can't affford to put your family in a bad situation over a pet, family comes first, and if and when the dog does heal, he will likely get run over again.

Just a side bar for anyone who may want a pet but is afraid of the potential cost like the OP has incurred here. There is a place called the 'Hannah Pet Society'. For a pretty reasonable monthly fee they deliver to your door a custom premium food for your pet, pay ALL medical expenses, offer big discounts on boarding and all the training you could want. You can even add your existing pet to this plan I believe.
The price is based on the weight of your dog and at least for us, it is far less than just the monthly cost of food for our last dog.
It might not be for everyone but its worth looking at.

Man that is terrible to hear.

But be careful what you ask for

You will be responsible for any damage your dog created.Like her car or if someone else had hit her car when she braked.
She's still a putz for driving off.

And guys,the vet has already done the work so telling him to put the dog down ain't helping. But I must agree.

She can be cited for failure to preform duties of a driver, class B traffic violation (811.710). As far as anyone that hit her. The dog owner is not responsible for someones inability to follow at a reasonable distance and not being able to stop. In the eyes of the law the owner would be clear, civil court is another matter.

To the OP best of luck with your puppy, any dog I have had has been an important member of the family.

Under Oregon Law, if a driver hits an animal person object, etc. and causes damage, it is Hit and Run. There was a case I found that happened last year here in Oregon; two men got into an accident causing injury to their own dog that they left at the scene. They were charged with Hit and Run.

Liability wise for an animal hit in the manner described, you get to foot the bill.

I hope your dog makes a full recovery; good luck!

As far as anyone that hit her. The dog owner is not responsible for someones inability to follow at a reasonable distance and not being able to stop. In the eyes of the law the owner would be clear, civil court is another matter.

I would repectfully disagree; there is no following distance for an animal that darts out in traffic unexpectedly. There has been plenty of cases where drunks step off the sidewalk out in traffic from in between two cars, get hit and the driver is not charged.

As far as anyone that hit her. The dog owner is not responsible for someones inability to follow at a reasonable distance and not being able to stop. In the eyes of the law the owner would be clear, civil court is another matter.

I would repectfully disagree; there is no following distance for an animal that darts out in traffic unexpectedly. There has been plenty of cases where drunks step off the sidewalk out in traffic from in between two cars, get hit and the driver is not charged.

He's correcting me when I said if someone hit's the lady when she slams the brakes on.
I was making the point that if the dog caused an accident,the owner was liable.

Now for you that say you could never put down your dog,I did just that at the end of last year.
She had quit digesting her food and went from a 85# beast to a 60# weakling. She was missing steps,wouldn't put a foot all the way down every time.
Was I supposed to take a 12yo Rottweiler to the vet,spend $2k for test and have him tell me she was 12 and at the end of her life?

Or do the humane thing and put her down? She was suffering daily.Why get a 12yo dog through surgery when you don't know if it will live anyway?
Extend YOUR time with the dog and not care about what's best for the dog?
My mom had just spent 8 years in a wheel chair drooling on her self.I did not have the patience to watch my girl deteriorate for who knows how long.
Think about what's best for the animal not YOU.
And as Burt said,don't take what the vet says as gospel,he needs to send his kids to college.

Sorry for what you're going through Jei_A. It's different for everyone. I work with a gal who bought a kidney transplant for a cat. Must've cost her plenty, but no one held a gun to her head. This is not to hold her up for ridicule or snide comments from superior entities, just to point out how some folks regard their critters. I certainly would not have gone to that extent, but some people do.

Anyway, on the subject of the vet bill, I heard a talk show guy on the radio once (Jeff Ramsey I think) telling people how to become debt free - certainly a worthy goal. I was interested in his advice to one caller, explaining that you can invariably get a substantial discount at a human hospital for offering to dispose of your portion of the bill in cash right away. Apparently, enough people skip out or delay to the point that it goes to collections, or court, or just gets written off. So it often behooves the provider to collect a discounted amount and be done with it.

Never paid a vet bill in my life beyond shots. So I have no idea if this works with vets as well, but what do you have to lose by asking?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top