JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was shooting some of my 300WM reloads today with my Tikka 300WM. I used brand new Nosler brass (purchased from MidwayUS), 175gr Nosler Bullets and 77gr H1000 Powder (thats is 3gr lower than max charge according to Nosler reloading data). One of the Nosler cases cracked after a shot. Luckily, nothing happened and surprisingly the shot was accurate. I would never know there was something wrong if I did not inspect the case after I ejected it. Here I posted a couple of pictures of this crack.

Cheers,

Dan

Nosler#1.jpg Nosler#2.jpg

I was shooting some of my 300WM reloads today with my Tikka 300WM. I used brand new Nosler brass (purchased from MidwayUS), 175gr Nosler Bullets and 77gr H1000 Powder (thats is 3gr lower than max charge according to Nosler reloading data). One of the Nosler cases cracked after a shot. Luckily, nothing happened and surprisingly the shot was accurate. I would never know there was something wrong if I did not inspect the case after I ejected it. Here I posted a couple of pictures of this crack.

Cheers,

Dan

View attachment 977443 View attachment 977444
Almost looks torch cut right? Split happens. Glad it wasn't a horizontal separation. That's a pretty impressive split though.

Probably a fluke, but I think I'd still be contacting Nosler, and maybe even hold off using any more of that batch of brass. Keep us posted on any further developments, and good luck.

Dave

Probably a fluke, but I think I'd still be contacting Nosler, and maybe even hold off using any more of that batch of brass. Keep us posted on any further developments, and good luck.

Dave
I just sent an email to Nosler. They might have a defective batch. I will hold on using them until I hear back from Nosler.

It might just be the reflection of the wood grain the shell is sitting on, but it looks like that piece of brass has several scratches running lengthwise. If the die is scratching the case it would have to be pretty deep to cause a split, but it's possible.

This is a manufacturing issue. I've experienced this before. And it could be the only defective case or you might find more....been there and experienced that with a batch of Starline brass.

What is interesting, the rear of the case appears to have sealed off gas leakage. The gas residue burn goes forward towards the chamber.

Last Edited:
The sizing 300WM die is not scratching the cases, that is only light artifacts. It is tough to take a good pic of brass because it reflects. For now I will put a side these Nosler cases and see what Nosler says about it. When I got these cases, half of them were dented, so I had to resize all of them prior to reloading. In the future, I will inspect each 300 WM case internally using a paper clip and also I will look inside. I clean cases very well, so they are all clean and shinny internally, so I might also visually be able to spot cracks. I wonder if this cracked case had a crack before and I just did not spot it. There were no any signs of overpressure on the shot cases. I also loaded at the lower end based on the Nosler reloading data on their website.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top