JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now, the northwest climate is generally pretty forgiving if you can stay dry, but we do get the occasional cold snap.
Has anyone had issues with particular lubricants gumming up in the cold, or is that not an issue at these temperatures?
And does anyone have tips for keeping firearms and holsters happy in the rain? I carry concealed, so my pistol stays as dry as me... but sometimes that means sopping wet!

I use Hoppes Gun oil. When I come home from deer hunting I can turn my gun upside down and water runs out! At the end of the season I pull it out of the stock and lube everything up again. I've also hunted in near Zero temps and have had no problems.

Only different comment would be - some times the Orings on some guns are set for an above freezing temp range.
On my Remington 1187 I use a low temp mil spec Oring vs the std temp Oring . Gives better performance at low temps.
So if you have a gun with Orings in it - might check on their temp range

Used classic rem oil for years with good results. Recently tried Sentry Solutions Dry Lube products with very good results for AR's and auto handguns. The powder is excellent for triggers- sort of works on the Moly principal, but it is dry- the stuff if pretty cool- give it a Google- it is worth a look if you are up for experimenting. After shooting the actions just wipe clean- it is as if the powder and gunk is unable to stick to the metal and action...

Never heard of Sentry Solutions - but I was thinking the other day of using a dry moly lubricant. Is this stuff available locally or just on line?

IS it good for other applicatiosn?

moly is hygroscopic, so it actually draws moisture from the air to it - meaning rusty firearms.

I had some stuff given to me called militec-1 that is a dry lubricant probably similar as the sentry solutions one. The bottle brags about only having to apply every 1-2 thousand rounds after applying it properly.
To be honest I have not even tried it yet.

I don't know about local- I bought from MidwayUSA among with other stuff. Original intent was for trigger smoothing and trying it on a finicky AMT Automag. I ended up using the solution and the powder on almost all my barrels and triggers. However- I am not trusting of new things yet proven- and swabbed with rem oil cloth before going back into the safe (I can't help myself). The autos seem to be where this product shines for me. It did improve the AMT slides smoothness; so I started using it on all my autos.

I have been involved in guns and the shooting sports since I received my first .22 at age 11 in 1963, 48 years ago. 38 of those years were spent in the rust belt, in and around Chicago, Illinois, along with all of it's inclimate weather and high relative humidity. The remainder have been in Arizona.

All I have ever used to lubricate my firearms is Mobil 1 Motor Oil, ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and for very high pressure friction points like bolt lugs on bolt action rifles and hinge pins on O/U shotguns I will use a small amount of STP. I have never had a a gun rust or fail because of a lubrication issue in over 45 years.

Gun oils and greases are overpriced "snake oils" in fancy packaging, nothing more. Know what a Castrol Rep told me your getting when you spend $8.00 for a bottle of "Castrol / Hoppes Synthetic Gun Oil"? Castrol Syntec Motor Oil with an emulsifier added to it. You can buy it all day for around $4.50 @ quart, or pay $8.00 for 4 ounces of it in a fancy brushed Aluminum pump bottle. Same with a lot of these "Gun Greases".

Go into any auto parts store and you can buy a large tube of Moly Grease that will last the average shooter a lifetime for a couple of bucks. It's as good, or better than these miracle gun greases they sell for over $10.00 for a 1/4 ounce! An even better product is the Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease. It comes in a 1 pound tub for around $6.00. If you like the fancy hypo type applicator, you can get one at Walgreens, or most any other drug store for around .25 to .50 cents, and it's refillable too boot.

Mobil 1 can be tailored to your climate just as you would if you used it in your car. If you shoot or hunt in very frigid climate it comes in a 0W-20 grade that won't stiffen up in cold weather. Here in Arizona we don't get much cold weather, but in the Summer it can get blistering hot so I use the 10W-40 or the 20W-50 grade. It has a nice viscosity that won't run off metal and dry up in a few days like some of these water thin gun oils like "Rem-Oil" will.

Recently I have found that Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube has an even higher viscosity that works well on guns that tend to be run at higher temperatures like AR-15's and AK-47's. It comes in a 75W-140 Grade. ATF is a very clean, non gumming lubricant that works well for lubricating semi autos and fast moving parts like slides, and even trigger mechanisms. I'm not a believer of these so called "dry lubes". 48 years of shooting has taught me one very simple fact. If I can see oil on my firearms, I know I won't be seeing any rust.

All 3 of these products can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $20.00, and will last the average shooter for years, if not a lifetime. I won't overpay for these gun lubes that do nothing better except make you poorer. Bill T.

Mobil1FirearmsLubricant001.jpg

Im a grease guy for the AK and Mobil 1 10-30 for my 1911s and other semi autos. A wipe down with a micro fiber cloth with a bit of lube on it, keeps the outside protected. FOR ME. :)

Im a grease guy for the AK and Mobil 1 10-30 for my 1911s and other semi autos.

On my AK-47's and AR-15's I will sometimes use a combination of both. A light film of oil, followed by a good coating of grease. The film of oil allows the grease to "flow" a bit better, reaching all of the nooks and crannies it needs to. This is especially true in AR-15 Bolt Carrier Groups. The grease also keeps the hot gas from blowing the lube completely off the surfaces the way it can with just oil on a Direct Impingement Gas Weapon. Bill T.

What do the guys in the military that are deployed carry and use?
Bet you they also do not have a bunch of fancy lubricants?

Would appreciate some inputs

The military carries CLP. It was developed for them. That in itself does not make it "better". Soldiers are very limited as to what they can carry. The military wanted a Mil-Spec, one purpose cleaner, lubricant, and protectant. We as shooters are not afflicted with that problem. We have a great many products that can accomplish a multitude of tasks individually.

Any time you have a product that does a lot of things at once, it winds up doing none of them well. "All In One Cleaners" are a good example. Gun products are no different. Shooters who use only CLP are severely limiting themselves thinking they are using the best product because, "That Is What The Soldiers Use!" Nothing could be further from the truth. Research the Midway catalog on "Gun Cleaning & Lubrication". If a soldier had a fleet of trucks, he wouldn't be able to carry it all.

Personally, I don't think all of those products are in fact necessary, but the fact of the matter is there are way better products than "CLP" to maintain your weapon in civilian life. The paint they use on Aircraft Carriers is "Mil-Spec". That doesn't mean it's the best paint for your house or garage. Bill T.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top