JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cogs-
Just curious was there a 4x4 club there, like I heard on the radio.
Not that it really matters!
Stacy

Dirt Minions 4X4 on-off road club did a cleanup also at The Ladee off road site. Apparently that is on the other side of the Clack up nearer where the fire was last year.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2015/04/volunteers_stage_cleanups_at_m.html

It would sure be nice if these news people would actually do a proper and decent story on things like this. So much activity in this state is outdoor related, and these reporters and editors don't focus well on stories outdoor related. What a bunch of "Humps"! Send them back East to the big cities where they belong.

Mike

Thank you for all the effort. Sorry I couldn't make it today.

You are quite welcome rangerlars! We did enjoy it, (except for the adverse weather conditions). Wish you were there.

We will work on media relations and messaging with Laura and Chris - don't be discouraged.

It was not any fault of Laura or Chris from the Forest Service. Laura sent out a very positive press release about the clean up and the info booth that included all the links to the site & threads, and I know Chris is all-in on our efforts (an enthusiastic guy!). With his magic camera, he paints us in a very positive light.

The problem is Channel 2. It appears they had a direction for this story with the angle of portraying it to be a huge problem, caused by shooters and costing the tax payers an impressive amount in disposal fees.

They missed the real story. It was not about another 'make you feel good' clean up, not about costs or the burden of clean ups. Sure those are important to understand, however, the real story went untold.

This was about outreach and education. Gun owners helping gun owners to understand and practice stewardship, responsibility, respect, teaching by example, and preserving our inherited right to shoot outdoors. It was about the partnership with Mt Hood National Forest and how we planned for months to develop this unique information program that encourage shooters to rethink how they treat our public land.

If anything, rangerlars, Laura and Chris need to be told a big THANK YOU! From Northwest Firearms. They both are a great help to our efforts. And we appreciate them!

Last Edited:
Disappointing, but hardly surprising. I see two possible options, one, they didn't actually understand what was really going on, or two, they understood clearly and wanted to use it to continue to paint gun owners in a bad light based on the actions of a few.

Personally, I'm 100% behind #2. At least they're consistent. And I agree, no invitations to them to future events. If they do show up, no interviews, just hand them the press release.

Ok copy that. They are entitled to run their own opinion on their own channel- looks like that is what was done here, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't give feedback about it.

Dirt Minions 4X4 on-off road club did a cleanup also at The Ladee off road site. Apparently that is on the other side of the Clack up nearer where the fire was last year.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2015/04/volunteers_stage_cleanups_at_m.html

It would sure be nice if these news people would actually do a proper and decent story on things like this. So much activity in this state is outdoor related, and these reporters and editors don't focus well on stories outdoor related. What a bunch of "Humps"! Send them back East to the big cities where they belong.

Mike

Thanks Mike!!
Stacy

Guys, I am far from the Portland metropolitan TV service area, and don't know much about this broader issue. But let me encourage you to raise bloody Hell with the station manager and/or the news desk editor. It isn't good enough to smugly say "that's what the media does these days." Poor reporting is simply that. It sounds like they got their facts wrong.

As you all probably know, television reporters for local stations are not of--uhum--the highest possible calibre. You need to educate that reporter, at least try once.

Who, What, Where, Why and When....The basics of good honest news and journalism.
Even when given the facts, the media gets it wrong or incomplete.
They had no issue reporting a fire at DQ in Newberg at around 2 in the morning, what they failed to report was the wire fire at 8pm earlier.
I watched the ch 2 video on the great effort and coordination put forth from this site and all involved...my hat is off to all of you!

You need to educate that reporter, at least try once.

Interesting that you mentioned that, because, I spent a bit of time with her after she was done interviewing. We stood looking over the shot down trees and we talked about how important it was for us to be here communicating to shooters about the resource damage and trash that was happening. I thought we shared a 'connection' to problem and that she felt strongly about our efforts to try and make a difference. It was a good moment.

So, you can see why I felt so let down and disappointed when I saw her report. Makes me think it was more the Editors angle than hers.

Here was the original article.....
http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2015/04/volunteers_wanted_for_cleanups.html

Kudos to the Oregonian! NWFA was mentioned in both articles with links. Perhaps think about this before using the derogatory term "Dead Fish Wrapper" in the future. And maybe send a thank you note to the news desk.
Here's my comment posted there:

The cleanup sponsored by NWFA and the USFS was a huge success. Several areas were cleaned up and lots of trash was hauled off. NWFA and USFS are continuing to work to educate target shooters about safety, sustainability, and ethical behavior. A lot of the trash hauled off had nothing to do with target shooting. Some people don't want to pay dump fees for things like old TVs, furniture, and hazardous material containers, so they dump it in the woods.

Thanks is due to the Oregonian for a fair and positive report on these activities. Ethical gun owners and target shooters are working hard to clean up these sites and educate the public. Honest reporting helps in that effort.

I sent this email to Mt Hood Nat Forest today. Just to let you all know how we appreciate their partnership.

Well we had a great time! Folks are posting, on the forum, about how much fun they had and are expressing their appreciation for the help from Mt. Hood National Forest, as well as, Clackamas County Dump Stoppers and the Sheriff's Department. Thank you to each one of you, including Chris, for you help and encouragement.

Dave, of Dump Stoppers, called me today and reported 2200 pounds of trash was removed. In addition to that, we also had a volunteer who loaded a 4 x 8 utility trailer full and took it home. He said he will take care of the disposal fees. We are guessing at about another 500 + pounds.

I counted at least 19 signed in volunteers on the sign in sheets. I'm sure there were 4-5 others who didn't sign in, as well as, some spouses and family members who didn't sign. It was rather difficult to oversee the complete sign in process. We worked from 10 am to 1 pm.

The Target Shooter Information Program booth was staffed by 3 of us. We worked the booth from 9 am to 3 pm. We only had a few recreational target shooters to interact with. About 8 to 10 shooters. I think it was because of the adverse weather conditions.

There is so much clean up work yet to be done! I would really like to schedule a couple other events up there this summer. For now, we will focus on the Information program booth and plan on doing that program as often as we have volunteers willing. The more we can do it, the more of an impact we could have. That would be nice.

Laura, Your press release was fine. We appreciate your mention of high regards to our efforts and including the links and references. Our problem is simply that we were all surprised and disappointed in KATU Channel 2 news that they made it sound like Target Shooters caused $200,000 cost to tax payers because of our trash in the forest. Your press release did not portray any such message! Then they stretched the volunteer count to 40. On top of that, they didn't even mention who the volunteers were and no mention of our Information Program, that we spent so much time in planning and effort. We all know what kind of a story that was. So, we're looking on the positive side. That being, we did good and we're not stopping here. Thank you, Laura, for you quality work!

Next event... Another Target Shooter Information Program booth. Soon!

Thank you all,

Bill

I was busy tonight! I responded to KATU Ch 2 General Mngr with this email. I hope he responds. I'll let you know what it is.

Re: Target shooters turn forest into dumping grounds, costing tax payers

This is ridiculous! Where did Cory Marshall get this information? And why did she end up with such a negative story focusing on huge amounts of tax payer costs of clean ups caused by target shooters? This is not factual and it is far from what the event and message was! Please contact the Mt Hood National Forest Service for the facts!

Hello, this is Bill Cogley, Volunteer Coordinator for Northwest Firearms. We are the volunteer group who partnered with USFS Mt Hood National Forest in the trash clean up event this past Saturday, April 11th, 2015. The group that was not mentioned in the news story.

The USFS sent out a press release that primarily highlighted the clean up event. They mentioned it was an effort organized by Northwest Firearms dot com and the Forest Service. They included links to the event announcement, on our forum, and all details of what the event entails. They made no mention of the problem being caused by target shooters. We all know, and I am surprised that apparently your reporter did not, that most trash ends up in the forest because of illegal dumping. Certainly, a fair amount is brought out for target shooting and left behind when shooters leave. But shooters are not the cause of the whole problem! And definitely not $200,000 dollars worth! Of tax payer money, no less! My goodness, let's be real and report the facts!

Besides what we feel is an inappropriate report, we feel the real story was missed all together. The news here was not about another clean up in the woods. It was not about target shooters being the whole cause the problem, nor was it about the cost of clean ups. The real story is what needs to be done about it and who is willing to do it. And what a better organization to step up to the plate than an internet web site forum community of like minded gun owners, Northwest Firearms, who are actively working to find a solution!

Our Target Shooter Information Program is an on-going outreach and educational information program that Northwest Firearms and Mt Hood National Forest Service have designed to address and effect the problem of trash in our public land. Our forum is here to support gun owners throughout the Northwest and we are working hard at communicating ethical conduct on public land. In this program, developed with Mt. Hood Nationals Forest Service, we are offering all gun owners the opportunity to better understand and practice good stewardship, responsibility, respect, teaching by example, and preserving our inherited right to shoot outdoors.

We set up a booth in the woods and talk one-on-one with recreational target shooters who are on their way up to shoot. We hand out literature of forest rules, ethics and tips for good safe fun while shooting. We even hand out maps of good places to shoot and provide free paper targets, trash bags and ear plugs!

Cory interviewed one of our volunteers specifically about this information program, as well as, our involvement in this clean up event, yet, not one mention of the good effort we are trying to do and the effect we hope to have on our public land. She did not even mention who we were.

We are truly disappointed in this report and are loosing respect for your organization. Would you please look into this and let me know what happened? I will be happy to report it to our web forum community.

Mt. Hood National Forest News Release
Media Contacts:
Laura Pramuk 503-668-1791
Chris Bentley 503-668-1776

Thank you,

Bill

I was busy tonight! I responded to KATU Ch 2 General Mngr with this email. I hope he responds. I'll let you know what it is.

Re: Target shooters turn forest into dumping grounds, costing tax payers

This is ridiculous! Where did Cory Marshall get this information? And why did she end up with such a negative story focusing on huge amounts of tax payer costs of clean ups caused by target shooters? This is not factual and it is far from what the event and message was! Please contact the Mt Hood National Forest Service for the facts!

Hello, this is Bill Cogley, Volunteer Coordinator for Northwest Firearms. We are the volunteer group who partnered with USFS Mt Hood National Forest in the trash clean up event this past Saturday, April 11th, 2015. The group that was not mentioned in the news story.

The USFS sent out a press release that primarily highlighted the clean up event. They mentioned it was an effort organized by Northwest Firearms dot com and the Forest Service. They included links to the event announcement, on our forum, and all details of what the event entails. They made no mention of the problem being caused by target shooters. We all know, and I am surprised that apparently your reporter did not, that most trash ends up in the forest because of illegal dumping. Certainly, a fair amount is brought out for target shooting and left behind when shooters leave. But shooters are not the cause of the whole problem! And definitely not $200,000 dollars worth! Of tax payer money, no less! My goodness, let's be real and report the facts!

Besides what we feel is an inappropriate report, we feel the real story was missed all together. The news here was not about another clean up in the woods. It was not about target shooters being the whole cause the problem, nor was it about the cost of clean ups. The real story is what needs to be done about it and who is willing to do it. And what a better organization to step up to the plate than an internet web site forum community of like minded gun owners, Northwest Firearms, who are actively working to find a solution!

Our Target Shooter Information Program is an on-going outreach and educational information program that Northwest Firearms and Mt Hood National Forest Service have designed to address and effect the problem of trash in our public land. Our forum is here to support gun owners throughout the Northwest and we are working hard at communicating ethical conduct on public land. In this program, developed with Mt. Hood Nationals Forest Service, we are offering all gun owners the opportunity to better understand and practice good stewardship, responsibility, respect, teaching by example, and preserving our inherited right to shoot outdoors.

We set up a booth in the woods and talk one-on-one with recreational target shooters who are on their way up to shoot. We hand out literature of forest rules, ethics and tips for good safe fun while shooting. We even hand out maps of good places to shoot and provide free paper targets, trash bags and ear plugs!

Cory interviewed one of our volunteers specifically about this information program, as well as, our involvement in this clean up event, yet, not one mention of the good effort we are trying to do and the effect we hope to have on our public land. She did not even mention who we were.

We are truly disappointed in this report and are loosing respect for your organization. Would you please look into this and let me know what happened? I will be happy to report it to our web forum community.

Media Contacts:

Thank you,

Bill

Very good! I look forward to the reply from the GM......

<broken link removed>
Channel 12 did a better report, evidently - but still missed the complete message.

Thank YOU - for contacting Ch. 2 !!!
That's a great message, and I'm glad you sent it.
I hope it gets the consideration your thoughtful and accurate reporting deserves.
Is the link on KATU's online site?

<broken link removed>
Channel 12 did a better report, evidently - but still missed the complete message.

Thank YOU - for contacting Ch. 2 !!!
That's a great message, and I'm glad you sent it.
I hope it gets the consideration your thoughtful and accurate reporting deserves.
Is the link on KATU's online site?
found the link & just sent email:

[email protected]
Inaccuracies in reporting lead to a misinformed public.

View attachment 230072
Respectful greetings,

Please be aware that an inaccurate and highly biased report by Cory Marshall was broadcast by KATU recently.
Had this so called "reporter" bothered to do simple fact checking, a more informative and meaningful message would have been the result.

Instead, personal bias and disinformation was allowed to be presented as substantial fact.

This kind of deliberate obfuscation is misleading, and possibly dangerous.

People tend to react emotionally to vivid graphics and inflammatory language - both of which were present in Ms. Marshall's perspective, contrary to actual facts.

The opportunity to interview knowledgeable leaders of an important, and growing cooperative volunteer effort to combat Lawlessness on Public Lands was squandered in favor of sensational, tabloid style attack "journalism".

Private individuals, partnered with Federal, State, Regional, and Local Departments are united in a successful program to address ILLEGAL DUMPING on Public Lands.

Recreational Target Shooters, as a class of lawfully entitled persons were singled out as the main perpetrators, when the focus should have been on the massive problem of illegal dumps, and the efforts to clean them up.

Sure - some dumpers also shoot up their garbage - and trash attracts trash...but to single out "target shooters" is grossly misleading.

The chance to provide Education and Support for the ethical and lawful use of Public resources by responsible individuals and groups, including families was completely missing from broadcasts.

These are the very same families who participate in these effective activities.

It is an empowering, inclusive community building experience that's the real story - not some fearful perspective put forth by a misinformed individual in the guise of a "public servant" - which some in the press have mantled themselves with.

The same misrepresentations and omissions were present in electronic documents on KATU's website.

Please take a moment to research the easily available truth of the matter now:

Media Contacts:

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/clean-up-mt-hood-national-forest-april-11th.193765/
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/nwfa-target-shooter-information-program.193318/
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/nwfa-target-shooter-information-program.193318/

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...he-burn-can-you-help-with-lunch-money.190771/

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/tillamook-state-forest-clean-up.191358/

The USFS, Clackamas County Sheriffs, DumpStoppers and northwestfirearms.com may actually be better resources for information than the misinformed, seemingly preconceived and prepared "story" manufactured by an ignorant person.

Where was the mention of northwestfirearms.com Target Shooters Information Program (TISP)?
Besides participating in the development of cooperative cleanup projects, NWFA has created an outreach presence at problematic sites.

The same Government Departments that support and encourage the cleanups are 100% behind this program, and interviews were conducted onsite by KATU personnel on 4/11/2015.

When one sided "reporting" is disseminated through Public Broadcasting, informed people lose confidence in the veracity of ALL past and future news programming from that station.

Knowing what I do now about how the reporting of Actual Truth by KATU is done - I, for one will be changing channels...

Thank you for you time, and consideration.
D.Ed Guinn

Keep at it, guys. The original effort clean up the forest---and, the joint effort to work with USFS---is of course commendable. But the follow on effort to hold the media's feet to the fire to produce an accurate report is even more commendable. Kind of like "more better." Very proud of you guys!

found the link & just sent email:

[email protected]
Inaccuracies in reporting lead to a misinformed public.

View attachment 230072
Respectful greetings,

Please be aware that an inaccurate and highly biased report by Cory Marshall was broadcast by KATU recently.
Had this so called "reporter" bothered to do simple fact checking, a more informative and meaningful message would have been the result.

Instead, personal bias and disinformation was allowed to be presented as substantial fact.

This kind of deliberate obfuscation is misleading, and possibly dangerous.

People tend to react emotionally to vivid graphics and inflammatory language - both of which were present in Ms. Marshall's perspective, contrary to actual facts.

The opportunity to interview knowledgeable leaders of an important, and growing cooperative volunteer effort to combat Lawlessness on Public Lands was squandered in favor of sensational, tabloid style attack "journalism".

Private individuals, partnered with Federal, State, Regional, and Local Departments are united in a successful program to address ILLEGAL DUMPING on Public Lands.

Recreational Target Shooters, as a class of lawfully entitled persons were singled out as the main perpetrators, when the focus should have been on the massive problem of illegal dumps, and the efforts to clean them up.

Sure - some dumpers also shoot up their garbage - and trash attracts trash...but to single out "target shooters" is grossly misleading.

The chance to provide Education and Support for the ethical and lawful use of Public resources by responsible individuals and groups, including families was completely missing from broadcasts.

These are the very same families who participate in these effective activities.

It is an empowering, inclusive community building experience that's the real story - not some fearful perspective put forth by a misinformed individual in the guise of a "public servant" - which some in the press have mantled themselves with.

The same misrepresentations and omissions were present in electronic documents on KATU's website.

Please take a moment to research the easily available truth of the matter now:

Media Contacts:

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/clean-up-mt-hood-national-forest-april-11th.193765/

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...he-burn-can-you-help-with-lunch-money.190771/

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/tillamook-state-forest-clean-up.191358/

The USFS, Clackamas County Sheriffs, DumpStoppers and northwestfirearms.com may actually be better resources for information than the misinformed, seemingly preconceived and prepared "story" manufactured by an ignorant person.

Where was the mention of northwestfirearms.com Target Shooters Information Program (TISP)?
Besides participating in the development of cooperative cleanup projects, NWFA has created an outreach presence at problematic sites.

The same Government Departments that support and encourage the cleanups are 100% behind this program, and interviews were conducted onsite by KATU personnel on 4/11/2015.

When one sided "reporting" is disseminated through Public Broadcasting, informed people lose confidence in the veracity of ALL past and future news programming from that station.

Knowing what I do now about how the reporting of Actual Truth by KATU is done - I, for one will be changing channels...

Thank you for you time, and consideration.
D.Ed Guinn

We have a WRITER in our midst! Well said!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top