JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, they came close but failed miserably.

Close, as in... targets on stands, legal targets, in FRONT of berm (not on top), and not on trees.

Failed, as in... didn't remove their trash which makes us all look bad.

We can't be leaving our targets and stands behind "For the next guy". Even if they were not used. It's not only against the rules, it sends the wrong message that makes others think it's okay to leave their stuff. It also implies that shooters are messy and don't care. Just the opposite of most of us out there.

Help us bring back stewardship! Don't hinder it!

Thanks once again, The Nothing!

glVYAaCd-0h_pdIQHAQ2BwiB_72CYI3ByKHjtnE7watXJvTHv-TlolkIi7eH-sgsclRgWY4R-eV19--_1Car6YuGhkS_cFX0.jpg
Sign board has been replaced!
CPzVLGLqR9opD3qITovn-1pQ6J-qbOl9LgJe04fpzxpUnEu1Y4MIEX_q3q-es75k0S0o9_Y_jH0psT14SGrVmWZa0kn27f0I.jpg
Fire was still hot!!!!
t_fd2B-cfL2niUQXpV44Z3MWZLFpj0I6SsgziNndN7HNS5AGflmv0WOy8ezco-C5rSh4Mx3gqezWcMn-eepVazNvC7uHdtR4.jpg
Rto-rLyY-av51xHWAQJQ8dJzIr_-M_OxvfhEB48HTOGf_kHDnJY9C8FTr4lnG9mLMYEXD-sHzpmfvzW5OphwpZ8wiD_KinX8.jpg
zbtAos_TNwSYktVA9UJqw7NULw5PQyYLZqQsCbRgU-xIJcx-WLasS-9TmEJwfLf3h7TYlx1us0YuWwsKWQXXKw3IjT2mnfr8.jpg

Today was an interesting day at Wildcat. It started when I pulled it to find a BMW 5-series already there. Turns out the brass-collecting tweakers are doing pretty well for themselves and upgraded whatever POS they had last year. I'm also pretty sure they spent the night up there, and were responsible for the still-hot-to-the-gloved-touch fire that was in the lane. One of them came towards me with his hand on the hilt of his knife, so I wasn't all that willing to talk about fire control or fire bans. I let him and his girlfriend keep on picking up brass.

Just as I neared doing about as much clean up as I could do, I heard another vehicle pull in, and then a second diesel pick up. By the time I got down to the parking area, the diesel had turned around and left, but I met another couple, Ted and Karen(?). It was their second time at Wildcat and they set to work picking up where I had left off.

Just as I had made my pile for Dump Stoppers, Zigzag District Ranger Bill Westbrook and his wife pulled in. Seems the Mt Hood USFS was going through and doing a big cleanup of Mt Hood USFS after the eclipse. They were going to do what Ted, Karen and I had done, and clean up Wildcat. Instead we loaded up his USFS truck with stuff and he gave Ted some more garbage bags. Ranger Bill ended up heading off to a couple other areas.

At that point, the tweakers were, well, still tweaking, and the other couple were shooting. I felt the place a bit cramped and moved on back home...

Here are some pics from this morning clean up. Spent about 5 hours with the wife cleaning. A bunch of deer and fresh air except for 1 bad wiff. See the other post under Marys Peak. The one of the back of the truck is only half full. 20170909_125238.jpg 20170910_093408.jpg 20170910_100243.jpg 20170910_115438.jpg 20170910_115450.jpg

Made it up to Wildcat for the first time in a month! It took me a bit to figure out what wasn't right though.
ZiD-xgFaFhbcHcYJK_B6G-lOxlN6FwydD2K5D8TW-BvQZtSIRT8tb5dlXo9twJLNTBhHhlnpT8jrPSexy9v0JpOdDzlopme0.jpg

In fact, I walked past it a couple times before I figured out why things just feel the same.

Bun47iXFNm2pIXHPqeNoy6rz976OSSkhlJxixTyn8pNSI-XzQ1UBnoMS9c6-94pRMPm5EjIQeGA5ZiofOh0VKATEqLYlOQUY.jpg

If you go back a couple pages, you might see this tree from last year with a pair of coveralls hanging from it. It's finally be shot down completely. There is plenty of evidence that it was shot down, and not weather related. It's not alone.

1ppCP9zBTx5VMQG7USxjt_Wg4xTl1CQHsZdMalCeWZg6rNRSihp_cukAALcKgsUSYjhmIaY0NxGA5_epv5loXmApPw5T77pw.jpg
eHs5fyIebG3Fmviqb3ZDPA-ITY9w9_tgHa3N-rHOXVQrSCXCrWKNvsTdRuVPnQbDNCv8AIGW5SAYcLf_lp4LE-0vzuv9yh78.jpg
L7JiRuYAT2hcZX1nmsCspveaiMFrlNVrfG8zdBSJgJIXjnSqbu3J2926YL9HnWfWDvAlbvyZENABZ0lnU-Cof9z5hBHwp8Pc.jpg

And it's just not the trees. Looks like this guy might have been checking out one of the scraps of pumpkin around when someone took aim...

UD_PcmMdPO3u33FE6maYkmjU6hkLNZ3Aqtzk9doO1LNEPH5TLAYlliPWP6dw29RY2MFx4UTu6qNeh0YbrNZPlb9yPHWwC7So.jpg

It was a quite disheartening trip up the mountain this morning. I didn't have the time to do all the cleaning required, but will be back up in a couple days with a rake to finish what I started today. I don't know how much I can keep doing this some times.

UigTEshEi5ZafDV5JeNWcIy-7nEul44FItr4Z4BzQNYjkk-Nhh_Zgcr0xsVYKd1smzW9Gc9S_SFOnNt_ipDrtFwanWFNmxQs.jpg

Having spent 10 years in ESAR/WESAR I know all too well what picking up after others is all about. I've been on top of Rainier four times and carried out close to 100 pounds of other peoples garbage and that was just during the first two trips. Three and Four were done in helicopters and we removed Over a ton with a Chinook! It sucked then and it still does!:mad::mad::mad:

I love my real job but it would be fun? to do this and get paid our normal wages and benefits to keep these areas cleaned up. As you said above it gets disheartening and maddening but you have to keep at it. I just feel blessed my wife loves going and picking up also. Give her a bucket and a shooting area and the brass becomes her own little Easter egg hunt. Now she has her eye on that blueish 1911 in 9mm( I think it is a 9mm) in the classifieds. But thats another story.

Made it up to Wildcat for the first time in a month! It took me a bit to figure out what wasn't right though.
View attachment 393488

In fact, I walked past it a couple times before I figured out why things just feel the same.

View attachment 393489

If you go back a couple pages, you might see this tree from last year with a pair of coveralls hanging from it. It's finally be shot down completely. There is plenty of evidence that it was shot down, and not weather related. It's not alone.

View attachment 393490
View attachment 393491
View attachment 393492

And it's just not the trees. Looks like this guy might have been checking out one of the scraps of pumpkin around when someone took aim...

View attachment 393493

It was a quite disheartening trip up the mountain this morning. I didn't have the time to do all the cleaning required, but will be back up in a couple days with a rake to finish what I started today. I don't know how much I can keep doing this some times.

View attachment 393494
Are the dead trees in the top photo because of people shooting them or different causes. Just curious

Thanks for the report and the extra effort!

I sure don't like those berms! There too short and look what happens... targets get put on top.

How was the condition of the sign?

It's certainly been awhile since I've been back up to Wildcat. Yesterday wasn't bad, and clearly someone else has been doing to some cleanup.
mRjlsgvOsT87WUBm38ofzT8FS7Xovou41s9Ql_6uIHCWd7joQHxUhxRC6ulnQOurQqQvqQXQ7k2er8ar_nlqYYa_yc=w2400.jpg
s0pwJHUwknqMDG_FmFP3xdxjLKuDzAYqksP5sxRV0h7kCbLg4aQIaJvMaD0O4l0VrCFNSNeniQftZWN5u4f58FE-M8=w2400.jpg
-fVCsF4FMoCWSK6hYAO7wEr5aSMJzSqoQbMo5MIXpmqXE9eI59f6pxxOcZgmPpFRRqktfx_xW3gCChkHyNjiEKbEP8=w2400.jpg
rAlEdXPr_7DRNCdcbg_eJDtnFTKwL1d3zCE7g2dgeh1vqdWVAtKhK1wbbleDVavTdrN1GBC_nxOfc3NcxBACz2pAJ4=w2400.jpg
fq0YShpsEJu0enckc2724cBDqScp5dSNyfYK_uUFiV4xLfxfAxNBLgCZw7hUhBMhy8_ALQUCA_FT90DTcgwvd69_t8=w2400.jpg
fReZbC_8uyjzqDEP28xcAFwkhZAgDrFWuzGeZ3kKwt1L1794m8zFrWcCyxzuIKSXGPWPWXvJf-Agu9qluLA5j2IGW0=w2400.jpg
no lumber this time! That's a first that I can recall. There was plenty of fresh saw dust on the ground, and well, as you can see above, someone's been playing lumberjack this week too. Probably just a day or two before I was there.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top