JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Northside Unit success or failure this year ?- lets hear from others that hunted Northside.

Me and my dad put in 10 days in the keeney camp- long creek - kahler butte area- I must of hiked 3 to 5 miles a day in camos- fully descented- seen on average 30 to 50 doe or yearlings a day. took 6 days to finally find something with horns- midafternoon going up a spur road about a 1/4 mile in and above 3 deer camps I finally jumped 6 does with 2 bucks about 200 yards out- a 4x4 and a fork- by the time I got a opening for a shot they were running downhill away from me at around 300 yards mixed with the does- the fork finally cleared the does breifly and I dumped him -never seen the 4x4 again after the first sighting he must of stayed in cover- hunted 4 more days and the only other buck we seen was a big rack that blasted in front of us while driving to a hunt near keeney flats - we were in that nasty lodge pole pine reprod that is thick and tight- on both sides of us for 1/4 mile - he blasted across the road 50 yards in front of us from 1 thicket to the next only seeing the flash as he went across- I tracked him for 1/4 mile then gave up as he was headed downhill into nasty reprod.
I have hunted this unit many years and to me the total population of deer was down 50% or more and the buck to doe ratio was horrid compared to previous years- atleast I got my deer- but feel for my dad at 76 that he didnt connect on what he feels maybe his last year of hunting.
I did get into elk several times - including a herd of 20 cows and 1 massive 7x7 that i got to spend 15 minutes with at 50 yards from them . got many pictures of them and him and a 1 minute 30 second video of him - FUN! we were in a drive hunt on a 2 mile sidehill and I had to carefully alert them to my presence without them blasting off and spoking everything for 1/2 mile around- I whistled 3 times and they just looked my direction and sniffed some and kept grazing- finally had to stand and make movement for them to spot me and slowly they moved off.
Seen 1 black bear at about 80 yards up on kahler butte briefly - maybe a 250 to 300 pounder.
Overall a enjoyable hunting experience but disappointed in the deer population and buck doe ratio of the area to years past.
I'll get a photo of the fork up as soon as I get back to dads to take 1 - unusual he is in lopesided horn growth - one side much shorter and both sides still covered in velvet- weird
We did see a few camps with meat hanging but there were alot more camps without something hanging then with.
Lets hear how you did in the Northside unit!

20171010_182101.jpg 20171010_182045.jpg 20171010_182122.jpg 20171010_183110.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top