JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For every picture you take, is one less fish on the rod. Or two!!
Fill the coolers with fillets...while enjoying the Alaskan ways.
I am envious. A little.

Yeah that's why I haven't been back. My brother was stationed at Ft. Richardson back in 1990 & I spent a week up there & had so much work going on the next few years I couldn't make it back for a second or third trip...:(

Last Edited:
I gotta be the only guy in the world that went to AK twice and didn't catch any fish. To Wasilla twice during June and had 85F weather with extreme glacial melt and silt in local rivers. Shoulda gone south but the $$ wasn't there for that.

Anyway, have a blast my friend! I hope you need lots of dry ice!!!!

I gotta be the only guy in the world that went to AK twice and didn't catch any fish. To Wasilla twice during June and had 85F weather with extreme glacial melt and silt in local rivers. Shoulda gone south but the $$ wasn't there for that.

I lived there for about 3 months and only caught 2 fish so I know what you mean and the 2 were caught after about a month and a half. I would have sworn they were lying about fish being there until then.:mad:

On one of my trips to Juneau, the guys that were taking me salmon fishing wanted to run the 25' fishing boat over thirty miles away to a hot spot they had heard about, and yet a kid next to the boat ramp was catching one after another in a stream he had waded out into. I thought they were nuts and voiced my opinion to stay right there.
I didn't know the dynamics of living cooped up all year in an area with no roads to speak of, as Juneau is a land locked town and for these guys, running a boat thirty miles was a way to get the hell out of Dodge for a while.

Whattt? I fished quite a few rivers, streams & creeks and all were silted up pretty much. The Russian River was the worst, we were standing on the edges in the river & the fish were swimming through our legs & bumping into us!!!!
Of course my brother was well versed at where to go & how to fish for them but I out caught him & his buddies. It's that steelheader mentality.... Oh there it is.....Whippppp.... fish on Bro!!!! ;)Love it.

Last Edited:
Little Susitna... on a boat with a guide and from the bank, nobody was catching any. The guide and my Coastie buddy said it was due to the silt... Excuse?

As much as I love Alaska fishing , I had to get out of the dam NW weather. Landed in Maui last night to do some striped marlin fishing this week. 76 degrees and perfect ocean temps. We got to get together on my Sportfisher @Caveman Jim and soak some bait.
IMG_1033.JPG

Fishing the Little Su without using salmon eggs is a challenge! Check the regulations. Blue Fox Vibrax in assorted colors and sizes catches when bait not allowed. Even fishing from the shore. Landing them can be a big challenge for bank fishing. If you are fishing from a boat back troll or allow to dive in holes using magnum diving lures such a Brad's. My favorite is the Wiggle Wart made by another company. Check for fish reports for Deshka Landing or all the way up to Talkeetna. Earliest I ever caught a King was May 21. Was fishing the Big Su and back trolling a Wiggle Wart while anchored up in river boat. Cannot imagine rivers are clear from run off and "break up" this early. Check with Andy Couch of FishTales. Legit guide who has been there a long time. Been out with him and some days we just went for a boat ride. He's hires really good guides. www.fish4salmon.com I am not related nor derive any benefit from Andy Couch. He will tell you if the fish are in the rivers.
Mahay's in Talkeetna with guide or do drop offs for salmon or trout. I do have relatives that guide, run fishing charters, and maintain the office for Mahays. Spend the money to take the boat tour on the jet boat tour to "Hell's Gorge". Watch for bears, eagles, and moose. Not a trip for the squeamish or fearful. www.mahaysriverboat.com see Devil's Canyon Tour which includes walk around trapper's cabin and river parallels the Alaska Railroad.

As much as I love Alaska fishing , I had to get out of the dam NW weather. Landed in Maui last night to do some striped marlin fishing this week. 76 degrees and perfect ocean temps. We got to get together on my Sportfisher @Caveman Jim and soak some bait.
View attachment 351430

Nice way to get that spring fling going!!! In 2010 I took the wife to Oahu for our 30th anniversary, 4 hours on the island I was fighting a 175# Blue marlin...:D
Gotta find the pics on my desktop later.
Get some!!!:D

We shall get to Fishin this summer, I'm game.

I had a friend that lived on Admiralty Island in Juneau, and I would fly up there on Mark Air (super cheap tickets) around Labor Day to go fishing with him.
I couldn't believe how clear the water was and how plentiful the fishing was.
Mark air don't think there around any more are they I haven't been to Alaska sense 1996

Old picture but big Hali lol well I cheated we would get big Hali 's in are net all the time in the baring sea that's not even the biggest hope you get a big one the smaller ones are better to eat but the big ones are fun to catch IMAG0887.jpg

June is summer in Alaska, most stable month for weather. I am not real familiar with SE but the best fishing in the whole state is ********* "data masked".

Fishing the Kenai these days is a joke.
Fishing the Valley these days is a joke.

Fishing is poor over the whole state. Do not want to talk politics of the reasons. Yep, better than most states in the south 49 I suppose but not what it use to be before 1990s rolled in. I can remember fishing the Deska and was the only boat, fishing the Lil Su alone, Jim Creek might find one other family getting their nightly meal. One of my favs was a hole on the Little Willow at the confluence with the Su, awesome fishing, ruined now. Don't like barn doors or chickens, dock rocks and even salmon. Have fun and good luck

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top