JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
An blurb I read mentioned these. A couple of interesting pics:

DPRKhelical.jpg

Helicalmag1.jpg

I wonder if these are a derivative of the Calico magazines made right here in Oregon. If so, I'm sure the royalty check is in the mail. ;)

Anyway, figured it might be of interest. Cheers.

Last Edited:
My little past claim to fame was working part time for Calico when their shop was located off East 21th St. in the pretty galactic garden of the universe city of Bakersfield Ca. My main job was driving a fire engine. Fun.

They had cool stuff back then. My job was assembling the Calico Twin .22rf Hand Cranked fun guns.

Edited addition by HB. Seems my fingers slipped off the keyboard and somehow posted my post before it was done. Oh well. We took assembled examples of the "Twin Twenty Two" up North to a large rifle range. More fun.

Would shoot at ground squirrel dens on a hillside about 1000 yards away. Took forever for the slugs to arrive. Never hit anything.

The helical 9mm mags seemed to work just fine with tuning and lubrication. I do not know if Calico is even still in business? Old hands still there?

Also wonder if the Koreans are paying royalties, if any are deserved? Dunno.

Last Edited:
An estimate on the magazine specs.

Magazine specifications
"The following specifications are estimated upon measurements extrapolated from known dimensions, as well as a comparison with existing helical magazines. They represent the author's best guess' at present."

Caliber: 5.45 X 39 mm
Capacity: 100 to 150 cartridges
Weight: approximately 2 kg
Length: approximately 370 mm
Diameter: approximately 85 mm (3.35")

The author mentions that these mags are not as "unwieldy" as thirty round conventional magazines!
Really?!?! So at almost 3 1/2 inches in diameter it's not going to be unwieldy to little bitty N Korean's hands! o_O

Last Edited:
I do not know if Calico is even still in business?

According to their site, they are still around and now based in the small eastern town of Elgin. I've been through Elgin a few times and liked the area. They were in Hillsboro for a while there.

The author mentions that these mags are not as "unwieldy" as thirsty round conventional magazines!
Really?!?! So at almost 3 1/2 inches in diameter it's not going to be unwieldy to little bitty N Korean's hands! o_O

I don't get how that would be the case either. A ginormous can filled with 100-150 rounds of 5.45mm ... yah that's going to change the balance a little. ;)

The N.K.s are probably not paying either Kalashnikov nor Calico for the patented use of a helical magazine...as their magazine is basically upsized but similar principle...... As for the wielding... well I think it would be on par with sticking a 40mm launcher on the under of the AK barrels...so not that much different..... less difficult when you go prone; however they DO stand out pretty much.. would be more difficult to cover that big erect cylinder

Best Robot lives! Worst robot shot! Worst robot family shot also. The one, (1) lefty raising his hand among five (5) righties also gets shot. Conformity only. Only supreme leader can raise left hand.

The so called rotary mag bodies look just like empty cardboard tubes. Both ends look the same. The carrying strap does not seem to pull down into the winter clothing. Not enough weight? Mags empty?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top