JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This whole situation is eerie. I just finished watching a really long Korean War documentary yesterday afternoon,
(YouTube - THE KOREAN WAR IN COLOR (01/14) ?????) - [Very good watch]
and heard about this while I was watching, "Friends of Kim."
(YouTube - Friends of Kim - Documentary 1/8) - [Good watch, but disturbing]
I was interested in learning a bit more about North Korea. Ironic, that this happened when it did.

I really hate to say it, but that first one seemed pretty bad. The footage was stirring and interesting but narration was so badly written that it surprised me someone other than a 6th grade history student was responsible for it. And that's without getting into the flaws in the actual substance of the narration.

The second film is truly fascinating and provocative, however. It's quite telling how quickly almost all of the foreigners (the exception being the true believer) became disillusioned with the DPRK, even though they had barely scratched the surface of the realities of life in North Korea.

A couple of years ago, I was in South Korea working as a contractor for a R&D company. I was about half way through my contracted time and a South Korean tourist was gunned down in North Korea. (The North and South share cultural/historical locations so the North allows tour buses to travel to these areas for the sake of cultural cohesion. However, the resorts, as they are called, are the only destinations, so the travel is from a specific point in the South, travel a specific route and stop no other place) At any rate, the US and South were conducting war games at the time. There as a lot of tension and the popular thought was that the shooting war was going to start again. It was pretty freaking to be there because all I could think of was how the heck I was going to get out of that place. The major airports are all up north near Seoul and I was just south of Osan.
After that, I made sure the embassy knew my every location. Was pretty happy when the contract ended prematurely, just wanted to get home. And not just because of the Kimchee!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top