JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My question is, would a large steel target be a better option for safety (personal and environmental) concerns or is my current method better?
Sounds good and I would do the same. Perhaps others can expand on that. Best to do what you like and are comfortable with. Steel can be a problem with sparks if there is dry grass or tinder around the set up area. As long as the backstop is dirt, no problem with the sandwich sign as a target stand.

Yeah when I went up, we were mostly shooting steel. I have four 1/2" thick 8" AR500 targets.. I used two heavy duty plant hangers like below, but put a stake down the middle and ziptied for added stability:
Steel pew pews

We set up three on lane 4's closer backstop then one all the way in the back pit. The up close ones we shot with .22 and 9mm and they worked perfectly. The rear one I litetally took one shot at with my RH-10 and it decimated the holder. Back to the drawing board! Need something that holds up yet packs easily..

That all said, yeah I totally recommend investing in some, esp for pistol shooting. No fussing with setting up new papers and it gives immediate visible and audible feedback.

The rear one I litetally took one shot at with my RH-10 and it decimated the holder.

Yer supposed to hit the steel GONG, not the stand. :rolleyes: :D

I have that last stand setup. Just get some rebar and cut to proper lengths. Home Depot has 10' lengths so my cross pieces are 5'. The rebar HAS been shot. Not the sides, the top. And the chain has been shot. There happened to be some wire to fix the chain, so now I have wire with me. Along with a can of white rattle can paint. (Too cheap to spend the big bucks on fluorescent paint).

Hitting the chain or stand just means your a better shot.

Because it's smaller than the target.

Yer supposed to hit the steel GONG, not the stand. :rolleyes: :D

I have that last stand setup. Just get some rebar and cut to proper lengths. Home Depot has 10' lengths so my cross pieces are 5'. The rebar HAS been shot. Not the sides, the top. And the chain has been shot. There happened to be some wire to fix the chain, so now I have wire with me. Along with a can of white rattle can paint. (Too cheap to spend the big bucks on fluorescent paint).

Haha that's the thing - I DID hit the target. Admittedly it was on the edge towards the bolt. 7.62x39 even at 100y just had too much energy for my crummy stand solution. Knocked the target right off the stand, bent the steel holder right back and ripped a chunk off it.

Definitely will look into that last stand option. Just think that a proper stand base and 2x4s is a bit overkill for 8" targets. Maybe if I got some 10-12" or IPSCs.

Also yeah - I just use white paint as well. Stands out well enough against dirt

061418%2003_zpsjlgalmxj.jpg

That's the setup I use. This pic was taken at Lane #4 at North Wolf Creek. I try not to hit the stand legs or target chains. :D

Quick notice.

September 6th, this Thursday, from 9am to 4pm site 3 and 4 will be closed for survey work. ODF will be onsite surveying these two sites for upcoming renovations.

Again, this Thursday from 9-4 the two top lanes will be closed.

Any further questions please reach out to myself or @Cogs

Thanks!

Reno911

Tillamook State Forest Blog

This means we're getting closer to starting our improvement work on all 4 lanes. Didn't want to interrupt most of the summer shooting months, so this project will be happening this fall and needs to be completed by November. We're building up berms and backstops with ballistics gravel, adding support to the berms, grading the lanes and creating better drainage.

After the engineers wrap up their final drawings and data, (in about a week), we'll be looking for a contractor with equipment who'll be willing to take on this project. It's not a big one, but one that needs to get done.

So, if you know of a contractor that may be interested, now's the time to contact us. We may also need to hire a separate outfit to pick up & deliver gravel and blocks.

We'll announce, in advance, of closures as needed. We'll post here, on our Facebook page, Twitter and Instagram. Will do our best to keep a lane or two open as much as possible throughout the project.

email to: [email protected]

Thanks!

Bill

NWFA,

After scanning this forum for range rules it appears that respect for the environment/range and for other shooters is are the primary requirements. My family and I have been out regularly to Salmonberry for years (2013) and make sure that we always take 3 garbage bags, 1 for brass, 1 for our garbage and 1 for the previous shooter(s) garbage. While we have favorite locations at Salmonberry I'd like to try Wolf Creek out but want to ensure that before I do that there isn't any prerequisite I should accomplish first.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top