JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Question for you all...

Say we have the berms something like this (example pic below): It's 1/4"-10 ballistics gravel to absorb and retain bullets within the berm. The 1/4"-10 holds it's vertical slope very well and is small enough to prevent ricochets. We plan to raise the 1/4"-10 gravel 2-3 feel above the block on the back, sides and face, however, I'm concerned that it may end up revealing the concrete face of the blocks, if it gets worn down in front over time and from climbing on it (we should not be climbing/walking onto the berms, but some people do). We are planning the berms to be a total of 8-9 feet high with the blocks at 6 feet high under the gravel. This horseshoe shape will make for easy front loader scoop out for cleanup when we have to remove the gravel to cleaning out the lead.

Kranz Meeting 5-14-18 13.jpg
How would you recommend to face the concrete blocks? We can't have ricochets from striking a flat concrete surface, so, we'd like to face those with something that would stand up and absorb the hits. Or, do you think 2 feet deep of 1/4"-10 gravel will hold it's position and adequately cover the face for a long period of time?

The concrete Jumbo Blocks are 2'x2'x6' or x3'. We could have a straight up face or tier them back (as seen in the pic above). Either way, we need to face them with something. Railroad ties are out, with ODF, because of the chemical treatments they contain. It's possible to use Gabion Baskets with a tight wire web to hold small gravel and form them in a wedge shape so bullets are deflected into the berm?
info_jumbo_block.jpg
You don't have to be a wizard range designer, just your thoughts on how to face these blocks.

Thanks,

Bill

Last Edited:
A thought, find a bunch of wore out tracker tires and cut the tread surface into strips that would cover the face of the concrete blocks. The Trick would be how to keep them there. I would suggest four mason bolts and inserts (one in each corner of the tire strip corresponding to inserts in the concrete blocks) and then cover them with an epoxy that could be stripped or chipped away to regain access to the bolt should a tire strip need to be replaced.

Along the lines of used tires... how about stacking used tires in front of the concrete blocks to conceal? I would not fill the tires with gravel to minimize ricochet; bullets can just pierce the hollow tires and bounce inside. Perhaps filling with sand to hold in place?

index.jpg images.jpg

Fitch Barrels
Maybe the Highway Dept. could be persuaded to donate some ?
Energy Absorption . FITCH UNIVERSAL BARRELS® Crash Cushion System

Or Pickle Barrels
https://www.bluebarrelsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/BlueBarrels-300x281.jpg

Of course the above would be filled with sand or fine gravel.

I like the blue barrels and they are cheap too (Always a plus in my book). I've seen them used for rain barrels, composting, etc. I see them all over Craigslist for $25-50 each. And filled with sand or something ought to do the trick.

As we discussed earlier I think gabian baskets shaped into triangles placed into the notches of the concrete barriers, the top 2-4" filled with the 1/4-10 material vs the bigger rock. So from the front, they will appear to be completely 1/4-10.

No Shooting Today.jpg

The North Fork Wolf Creek Target Shooting Lanes will be closed to public use on Monday July 2nd from 9am to 4pm so crews can complete lane improvement planning and design work

ODF will be working with their engineers to collect more specific site survey information for each of the lanes. The work they are doing is going to take most of the day. While they are working, all four lanes will be closed to public use. They also posted this information on their Tillamook State Forest Blog.

Thank you!

Cogs & @Reno911

Lots of folks were out yesterday celebrating the 4th by exercising their 2A. All the lanes were full when we got out there and 3 and 4 both had people waiting. Really wish we had longer and could have stuck around to shoot but didnt have the time to sit around and wait due to other engagements.

I was thinking about this after meeting Randy & Darren (?) from ODF up at the site a couple of weeks ago. Seems the strength of the concrete block is needed to keep the material from slumping and flowing like the unsupported dirt berms do now. But, we need to be mindful of ricochet hazards.

They make ecoblock insultated concrete forms that are environmentally friendly and should hold up as barriers over the concrete block.

Lots of folks were out yesterday celebrating the 4th by exercising their 2A. All the lanes were full when we got out there and 3 and 4 both had people waiting. Really wish we had longer and could have stuck around to shoot but didnt have the time to sit around and wait due to other engagements.
How were the lanes looking overall?

I'm curious if it's been a while and we should organize a small cleanup?

Lots of folks were out yesterday celebrating the 4th by exercising their 2A. All the lanes were full when we got out there and 3 and 4 both had people waiting. Really wish we had longer and could have stuck around to shoot but didn't have the time to sit around and wait due to other engagements.

Don't I know it, had to wait over an hour and a half to get onto lane 4. Even that was crowded with three groups shooting at once. The last group to show up was a group of anarchist, mostly transgender as far as I could tell. At the time I was sharing the lane with a very patriotic young group blasting country rock out of their pickup. The antifa group, all decked out from head to toe in black, just helped themselves to the lane, as anarchists tend to do, right in between us. Wasn't really sure how that was going to pan out, but we all just got to shooting and even sharing; only gun talk, fun had by all.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top