JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unfortunately there is no amendment in our constitution federal or state that guarantees you the right to shoot on public lands.

Without public input and the public's willingness to use these lands responsibly, agencies like ODF find it hard to justify keeping areas open for all recreations.

Great insight. If we don't take care of it, access will be closed.

My point is simple, that if you get to a certain point with "Rules" for everything, then people will start just going out into the forest again. Personally I'm all for obeying rules, and I clean up after myself. More KISS and less complications is what I'm suggesting. Find a balance.

My point is simple, that if you get to a certain point with "Rules" for everything, then people will start just going out into the forest again. Personally I'm all for obeying rules, and I clean up after myself. More KISS and less complications is what I'm suggesting. Find a balance.
Mike I know where your going. Your heart is definitely in the right place.

Just to better illustrate a few things.

We are not done at Wolf Creek. The lanes work as intended, yes, but they are missing one crucial element, sustainability.

We really can't change the rules or add any easily. So, we have to do everything through design.

We thought our initial design would work, but folks continued to use the sites, not as we intended.

So we are looking to fix this through design, possibly through rules, but most likely through design.

I like to reach out to folks here as this site brings in lots of like minded individuals that like to recreate on public land. Consider me the mediator for recreational target shooters and government.

Public involvement is crucial with the work being done at Wolf Creek. So if you feel like getting more involved, you know where to reach me.

We can certainly debate how the sites are used and abused by the public. We can alter designs, to a point, and we can improve the sites.

However, we can't be site police or exclude anyone from using them. Rather, we have to be the site stewards. Yes, it's a bit like cleaning up after unruly kids but that is what responsible citizens do at times to preserve our use and access to resources such as this.

Last Edited:
I dont have any design ideas yet but can say that there absolutly needs to be a sign on the boards up there stating that its against the rules to shoot or place targets above or outside the lane.

Otherwise you wont stop people from doing it

Was just there yesterday and #2 was litered with palletes, a tire, and a big wood board target shot to crap. We had a packed SUV so we couldn't take it out but stuff like this irkes me.

Perhaps a fake/real camera above the signs would deter people from such behavior.

I thought there was already signs suggesting that up there, but IIRC those might be the logging companies signs at the road entrance only.

We can certainly debate how the sites are used and abused by the public. We can alter designs, to a point, and we can improve the sites.

However, we can't site police or exclude anyone from using them. Rather, we have to be the site stewards. Yes, it's a bit like cleaning up after unruly kids but that is what responsible citizens do at times to preserve our use and access to resources such as this.
You're right, we can alter the design to a point.

So far, we've altered it from this: (Lane 3 before)​

lane 3 trash.jpg

To this: (Lane 3 after)

site3finished.jpg

We don't see near the mess all over the hill as we did before!
It has solved several problems. But we can still modify some of the design to address the issues we are now seeing.

We have submitted a grant application to the NRA Foundation asking for funds to help improve these 4 lanes. If approved, we'll want to focus on what we can do that will result in the sustainability Reno is talking about. NOTE: We may not be approved for the full $10,000+ we had asked for. Therefore, we will try to make up the difference through individual private donations. Our fundraiser, next Sunday Feb 18th, is hoping to help with this project. Wish us luck to raise enough to get it done!

That is correct, SA Shooter, we'll still need to keep up with the mess of the unruly kids. It's too bad we have to do that, but, we'll keep promoting education & awareness, responsibility & stewardship and reach as many as we can to help make a difference. And that's what we'll do to preserve our use and access to resources such as this.

Is there anything preventing me from shooting here this week? Love the sight and changes being made. Not sure if they close the road due to weather/mud and couldn't find any kind of status page.

Just check the odot camera on highway 26 at timber junction. Gives you a good idea of the weather up there. Chances are there is snow up there.

Was thinking about checking it out but don't want to bring a shovel and winch to see the place... may have to wait until it warms up a bit. Having not been there, is it safe to say the ground could be muddy until late into the spring?

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top