Tags:
  1. DirectDrive

DirectDrive
    Vancouver, WA
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2017 Volunteer

Easy Way Target Stand
    1-1/2" PVC base (not glued !) and (2) 6' 1x2 for carboard backboard.
    One ten foot chunk of PVC does it. Plus the fittings shown.
    (no need for 90 degree fittings at the base) See pic
    Cut 6 pieces at 16"
    The leftover piece makes your cross member
    Width of the backboard is about 27"
    Attach the cardboard backer to the 1x2's with the large size paper clasps

The whole thing breaks down flat for travel (Again, do not glue the PVC !)
    PVC fittings are a taper fit and you can jam them tight.
    No glue also permits easy repair if needed.

Use tacks or staples to secure your targets .
    Or adhesive backed targets.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I picked up a 10" gong from "Thor Targets" at the ARPC show in Albany.

About Thor Targets - Oregon Shooting and Hunting Targets

They say the steel is better than AR500. I know it took .30-06 at 80 yards and did nothing bus leave a scosh of bullet residue on the steel. The S&W 500mag made a bit of a divot. We shot the crap out of it at one of the clean-ups and the only damage was to the edge when it got hit from the side.

I won a set of these at one of the cleanups.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Sta...0&sr=8-1&keywords=the+last+stand+target+stand

They work pretty good, the .30-06 does damage the rebar though. :oops:

3. FordPrefect

FordPrefect
    Woodburn, Oregon
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

No problem. I forgot to add I tag these with all my firearms, including my little pop gun, S&W 500 Mag. They have held up quite nicely.

4. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Here is a pretty good set up for the Wolf Creek lanes. A harbor freight moving blanket and tarp make it much easier to shoot.

Target.

I prefer steel. A simple garden Shepard’s hook and a plate off Amazon is pretty easy and inexpensive.

Shootsteel.com make great targets.

@IronMonster is a member here that sells iron, I mean steel targets as well.

FC48F999-094C-4696-8E09-C0BC5CFB2BB5.jpeg

gryghin, Cosimel and Mikej like this.
  5. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro

+1 for thelaststand

067E25EF-25A1-45C6-8843-14BEDC796A18.jpeg

FordPrefect likes this.
  6. sammysamcan

sammysamcan
    portland

Hey im a Canadian new to portland and looking to head out to Wolf creek today to do some shooting with my wife. i have a few questions. i read earlier a road was closed at some ranges due to a fire. can i still access wolf creek today and in a small 4 door car(logging roads)?

glad to be a part of this forum and hope i can make some new friends. anybody play hockey ?/hunt drop me a pm. thanks

FastOne and gryghin like this.
  7. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

You should do just fine. The road up the hill is a little rough but just pick your way.

Welcome to NWFA!

8. FordPrefect

FordPrefect
    Woodburn, Oregon
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I made it up there fine a few times in my old vehicle, VW Golf TDi. Scraped a bit, but no permanent damage.

9. Cosimel

Cosimel
    Beaverton

I remember the many attempts at rigging a target stand with what I had lying around, all failed, then I busted out the chop saw and bought some PVC piping from Home Depot, drew out a rough design and started cutting. The base ended up longer than I'd expected, which makes it a bit hard to put in my car assembled, but it doesn't blow over and I purposely didn't glue it together which not only makes it easier to pack since it can be completely broken down, but the flex in the base makes it possible to adjust it to the terrain. As for steel, heck ya; started shooting on the Thor plate I bought at Oregon Rifleworks (they have them at J & B Firearm Sales too) back in early September and I use it to finish up after drills just for the fun of it. I love the Thor target, the stand and plate hanger system is simple and indestructible (believe me I've tried; I've shot 3" maximum slugs at it and one shot made it flip off the stand and land about six feet away and it took them like it was nothing). I also love supporting local businesses and I love that the Thor targets are made here in Oregon; highly recommend them !!!

Targets.jpg

gryghin likes this.
  10. RogueOne

RogueOne
    Oregon

How much was the steel target?

11. Cosimel

Cosimel
    Beaverton

I paid around $125, maybe $130; I'd have to look it up, but that's the ball park.

12. Oya

Oya
    Portland, Or

Please pick up your target trash. 3 was a mess today. Took a bag off of 4. Be courteous and ask if you can join people who are already using a lane. And please don't start using someone else's targets without asking. You know who you are.

13. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro

Thanks for the efforts and the report.

We should really look at getting a small get together for cleaning up 3 and 4.

Cosimel, gryghin and Oya like this.
  14. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro

Good info. I’ll get the plates to the proper enforcement.

As for maintenance. We are looking at this. Hoping funds come through to do so.

ODF is aware of the road and has it on their radar to regrade in time.

The winter has proven to be the worst for these lanes. The mud and rain make it difficult to clean. We are hoping to make improvements to change this.

Thanks to all those brave enough to get up there during the winter and get in the mud to clean.

spookshack likes this.
  15. Ironbar

Ironbar
    Tigard, OR

OK, I'm going to try this again:

These are the a$$-hats, and this is their leftover garbage

North%20Fork%202_zps4ux6cfje.jpg

North%20Fork%201_zpsupr8h0vc.jpg

North%20Fork%204_zpsautbp8fx.jpg

A couple shots from Lane #4 today

North%20Fork%205_zpseljskkil.jpg

North%20Fork%203_zpsc5xpwlnj.jpg

Timbertodd, Oya and Reno911 like this.
  16. Gaucho Gringo

Gaucho Gringo
    Vancouver, WA

I have a plastic tarp when I go shooting. Put all my targets and things I am going to shoot on it. When done just fold the 4 corners and all the junk falls to the middle. Dispose of contents in a suitable manner and save the tarp for next time. Unfortunately their is a certain segment of the population that shoots that act like inbred hillbilly's or who just want to shoot up their garbage.

Ironbar likes this.
  17. Ironbar

Ironbar
    Tigard, OR

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't those shooting lanes have gravel on them at one time? WTH happened?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  18. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro

Lane 3 had a gravel path to the longer berm.

To answer your question. Mostly rain and being shot.

Lanes 3 and 4 were compacted local material. Lane 1 was non compacted local material dumped till it was tall enough. We learned the compacted berms weren’t the best for long term use. So if we get our way, in time, they hopefully will be completely removed and replaced with better materials.

Cosimel and Ironbar like this.
  19. Timbertodd

Timbertodd
    Aloha
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Thanks Ironbar for picking up and the policing. Let me know when you want to get a group together Bryan and Im there!

20. Ironbar

Ironbar
    Tigard, OR

To tell you the honest truth, I'd be perfectly willing to go back next weekend on the 16th or 17th. I'm pretty sure I don't have any plans for that weekend, and if the weather holds, it would be great to get at least Lane #3 cleaned up. We'd have to get up there pretty early in order to beat the crowds. Let me know what you think.

gryghin, Timbertodd and spookshack like this.