JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We'd done a fair amount of exploring around there during clean ups and some mushroom hunting. Where is this site you're looking at? A PM is fine if you don't want to put it on the thread.

Hey Mikej, I'd suggest PM'ing Reno911 for better directions than I can probably give since I've only been up there the once and we followed Reno911 up there. It's a good several miles up North Fork Wolf Creek road from the original four lanes' turn off. I know you take three rights off of North Fork to get there, but that's as best I could describe it, would be lucky to find it again myself ;-)

I figured he'll see this and get to me. No hurries. I figure he's a fairly busy man. I was hoping for a map.

Very enthused about this. Plan to visit the existing range soon, before it gets too cold. Willing to help any way I can, sit in a booth or go sweep for trash. If anyone is headed up, I would be happy to join.

I was there yesterday. Looks like the Halloween Zombies visited.
Lots of trash and hundreds of pieces of clay pigeons all over. I only had one trash bag and a compact car, but I took what I could.
See pics. DSCN1997.JPG DSCN2000.JPG DSCN2004.JPG

Whilst large rotting piles of pumpkins aren't great, they will get scavenged and degrade - don't worry about clays, they're also biodegradable, they just look messy.

Thank you for your time and efforts helping keep them clean.

The rainy season is upon us. Mud sucks, and any effort to clean up in it is highly appreciated.

@Reno911 and I took a trip to the lanes today, in a ride along with ODF and ODFW. No one shooting there today (think the rain had anything to do with that?!). We were a little embarrassed at the condition of the lanes. Had hoped to show a good example of pubic ownership and stewardship but that wasn't evident at this time, as it has been most of the summer. We saw lots of trash down each lane. At least the trash was contained within the lanes and not spread out around the forest! That's actually a good thing and shows the lanes are working as designed! Still, ODFW got a good understanding of what the lanes are and what our direction is with them. They are highly in favor of what we are doing and see opportunities that may help expand our projects.

Visited other (older) sites, nearby the Wolf Creek lanes, where people used to shoot before the lanes were put in. Not much trash or evidence of those places being used much. This is encouraging! It says people would rather use the improved lanes instead of the weeds and bush. Therefore, the improved lanes are working as planned (a preferred, or more desirable, place to shoot).

This spring & summer we'll be performing some upgrades and maintenance on the Wolf Creek Lanes. Things like resolving water drainage issues, new berm material/containers, embedded target stands, signage and more. We've recently submitted an application for a $10,000 + grant from the NRA Foundation and will hear back in a month or so. (Trash No Land's first grant application! We're excited!) If we don't get the full amount, we'll be seeking some additional financial help to get it done. We will also be needing some volunteer help to complete the project. It will be great to install some features that will add to the long term sustainability of these lanes! The lanes are the best improvement, and making the biggest difference, to public land shooting we've found yet!

Thanks to all of the NWFA members for caring and sharing of these lanes! We are making a positive difference! More positive stuff coming soon!

Bill

regarding biodegradable clays... its my understanding that they sell both. So some are and some aren't, so might find either out there...

Cogs, thanks for the update, excited about the grant money application. Lets not be too discouraged with the trash you found today at the lanes... technically doing their job keeping the trash in one location by design. Consider the weather has been miserable lately so less responsible people out who do pick up the lanes from others as they use them. I suspect give the lanes a couple weekends of good weather and the lanes will be clean again. Just being positive...

Took a bag of trash off of three today. OSP was patrolling today. Good to see them present. People, stop leaving your trash for other folks to haul out for you.

Took a bag of trash off of three today. OSP was patrolling today. Good to see them present. People, stop leaving your trash for other folks to haul out for you.

The ones leaving the trash are not the responsible ones who inhabit this forum. They are the gun nuts.

Quick question. Going to try and do some shooting this weekend and wanted to know what people recommend for target stands?

I make my own from 1x2 furring strips and wood screws, a little creativity and 1 target stand is about 10-12 bucks and you can take it apart for storage and easily repair it.

Can you post a picture of your stands?

this is the cheapest easiest one to make, note the cross beam isn't 1x2 but scrap 1x3 furring strip wood I had around, I found that the slightly taller 1x3 center beam added better support to just drop in the target arms... plus made the thing easily broken down for transport and storage.
then qty 2; 1x2x8ft furring strips I cut 2 feet of each for the legs, the 6' pieces just slip in (sandwich some cardboard in there to shim it open a bit...) but you can add a wood screw to help on windy days otherwise not needed. I have a wider one for holding more targets for rifle use so I don't have to change out targets so much.

so the qty 3, 8ft long furring strips are about $4 at Home Depot.

target stand.jpg

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top