JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A Kia soul came up around 9am with four people in it, if that paints a picture.

Yes. Yes it does.

images-1.jpeg

Hi everyone,
Is this place still open? And what is the furthest distance it goes to?
I have a new Ruger Precision I want to break in.
Yes it is still open.

Site four has the furthest distance at 80 yards.

If you stay on the main road and head around to nofo or nolo road, I can't recall, there is a sight further in with 200 yards worth.

I posted this info in the thread NWFA Code of Ethics for shooting on public land. We're having a great conversation about etiquette in shooting.

Today, we met with Randy Peterson, of ODF, and performed a little maintenance & repairs on all the signs at North Fork Wolf Creek (we as in Brian, VP of Trash No Land @Reno911 and I).

As Randy puts it... We have Opportunities here (at these lanes). Opportunities to show we care about recreational shooting, in that we all share the responsibilities of stewardship. Opportunities to teach others by example and conversations. Opportunities to grow recreational shooting, and Opportunities to preserve our kind of recreation for years to come. It means we need to educate, inform and encourage people to come on board and adopt an attitude of high esteem and pride for respectable shooting on public land.

All new, bright, lovely signs! You may notice the additions to the 'Lane Maps' sign. They now include the yardage of each (the blue arrow line). We replaced the plywood on Lanes 2 & 4 because of shotgun holes, and all lanes got new beautiful signage. When they get damaged and wrinkled again, we'll change them out once again (probably next summer).

We are also planning some improvements to these lanes. Stuff like mud control, berm support, ways to discourage putting targets above the berms on the hill, and more. When we get to those improvements, we'll need some volunteer help to get them done. It will be sometime this fall.

For now, here's what went down today...

B&B&R Sign update2.jpg

IMG_3055.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG \

IMG_3063.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3053.JPG

So you can see, we're stepping up to the plate and promoting responsible shooting at these places. We have a valuable asset in Oregon Dept of Forestry and Randy Peterson! Let's not let him down and show that we are good stewards and value the privilege of shooting on public land. More ideas and improvements to come!

Thanks all!

Bill

My favorite part of the signage.

Don't forget that steel casings are still spent cases.

I'll have to get back up there with a magnet. There is a boat load in need of being picked up.

IMG_0389.JPG

My favorite part of the signage.

Don't forget that steel casings are still spent cases.

I'll have to get back up there with a magnet. There is a boat load in need of being picked up.

View attachment 380141
Yeah. I like the part of "Pull your targets from the range when you leave. Take YOUR trash home".

Too many people have a mind set of leaving their targets and wooden stands behind "For the next guy"! That only makes us all look trashy! So, Pull it and take it home!

Yeah. I like the part of "Pull your targets from the range when you leave. Take YOUR trash home".

Too many people have a mind set of leaving their targets and wooden stands behind "For the next guy"! That only makes us all look trashy! So, Pull it and take it home!

I agree.

Leaving your target setup is just laziness. But surprisingly I think many new shooters expect to find "something" left over to use to shoot at. The last time I was at the lanes 2 different groups set up without asking and neither had target stands. Both had rifles to sight in. I don't get it... your not going to accomplish a whole lot sighting in on a propped up tin can on a pile of trash.

If people could learn to take home their target trash that would half the battle with cleanups...

I got to lane 4 after 13:00 and had the place to ourselves. The place looked clean and my son brought along some friends that are new to firearms so this was a good introduction to how things should be.

After the safety brief we set up the ar500 gongs and started training.

I showed them the signs and noticed the yardage was included now. They look great.

Thanks for doing a great job.

Something that helps motivate people is convenience. People are more likely to do the right thing if it is convenient. Probably quite a few of these casual shooters don't take anything with them where they can put their trash or brass. While I can't think of a good solution for trash that wouldn't get shot up, taken, or buried under a pile of trash there might be a fairly easy solution for brass. Basically, put 4 2x4s posts in the ground, and build a 12"x12"x8" open top box with a heavy screen bottom. You can do it with plywood and have the bottom a few inches off the ground so it drains water. Carve "used brass/cases" in the plywood. You probably wouldn't have to clean it out often since the reloaders will hit it when they're up there and hopefully responsible people will empty the unusable stuff out. And, yes, people will also throw their trash in there because they're jerks. But it's better than nothing.

elsie

Something that helps motivate people is convenience. People are more likely to do the right thing if it is convenient. Probably quite a few of these casual shooters don't take anything with them where they can put their trash or brass. While I can't think of a good solution for trash that wouldn't get shot up, taken, or buried under a pile of trash there might be a fairly easy solution for brass. Basically, put 4 2x4s posts in the ground, and build a 12"x12"x8" open top box with a heavy screen bottom. You can do it with plywood and have the bottom a few inches off the ground so it drains water. Carve "used brass/cases" in the plywood. You probably wouldn't have to clean it out often since the reloaders will hit it when they're up there and hopefully responsible people will empty the unusable stuff out. And, yes, people will also throw their trash in there because they're jerks. But it's better than nothing.

elsie
That's a cool idea, elsie. Certainly worth consideration. I like the it and it has potential to work well. I'm sure it would be a magnet for all the other trash, (a convenient place to dump your stuff, instead of being responsible and taking it home). It could end up overflowing and becoming an eye soar. It may lead to more stuff being left there.

But I'll put it on the list of ideas!

Thanks!

In time I imagine there being more resources available for these sites. I imagine the first trails not having garbage receptacles or bathroom facilities either.

This is just the start of this movement.

I see us getting there in time. Currently we are heavily dependent on good stewardship. Which as of now is working quite well.

While I was there, another forum member stopped right as we were getting ready to start breaking down. We did a quick "Show & Tell" and found that we both had the same model Rem 700 in 308 that needed break-in time.We chatted a bit about how awesome it is that we have the shooting lanes and what can be made better.

One thing that came up, is a concrete pad. It would make casing collection so much easier to be able to just sweep them to one edge and then have a collection container.

I think the brass collection box has merit but I would rather see our efforts put into expanding new lanes to shoot at including 1 and 200yds. We need more established shooting sites.

I'd like to thank everyone that has worked on this range!

I was at lane #3 today, around noon. It was my first time at this range, and I was truly impressed at how well the site was laid out, and how professional the signage looked. I'm planning a family shooting event later this summer and this place looks perfect.

Count me in for the next clean-up or repairs event.

-Rand

Son and I were at Lane 4 today from 16:30 to 19:30. All the lanes were empty, looked clean and the signs looked great. Thanks for all your hard work!
As soon as we unloaded our gear, I had him go around and pick up hulls and other garbage. 1/2 a kitchen garbage bag. I'd call that pretty darned clean.
There was a OSB backstop (shot up) at pistol , a disk rotor, and a large piece of cardboard at 80 yards. I left them.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top