JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thought I'd go shooting on Memorial day but figured it would be a popular place on this weekend in particular. So I headed out early and got there about 6am and was the first there, but only by about 15 minutes when another group showed up. Since I was first I got lane 4 and they took lane 3. It was the perfect morning for some shooting :). Lane 2 had some target stands left behind, but otherwise the lanes looked clean.

I too am excited by the proposed new lanes and would like to volunteer in whatever capacity I can!

View attachment 366763 View attachment 366764 View attachment 366765
Shooting done right! Legal targets (in front of the backstop, not on it), brass catcher tarp, ear & eye protection, proper use of the firing line. Can't find anything wrong with that! (Except a tee shirt of a stick figure taking a dump on your chest while reading the "Target Shooter's Guide to Better Shooting"!) :D

Good example, Cos!

20170619_193411.jpg 20170619_100353.jpg 20170619_092834.jpg Finally got around to checking out this spot. I gotta say I'm very impressed. There was some target garbage and casings, but seems that most people are picking up after themselves. Overall, great morning of shooting with family!

Last Edited:
Finally got around to checking out this spot. I gotta say I'm very impressed. There was some target garbage and casings, but seems that most people are picking up after themselves. Overall, great morning of shooting with family!

This...
This post is proof positive that we need more locations like this!

Stopping by there tomorrow for the first time, how is the gravel road up there? You guys think we can make it up with our fwd toaster? Also, are there fixtures to put targets on or do I have to bring all that? Sorry for the dumb questions, first timer here...

Stopping by there tomorrow for the first time, how is the gravel road up there? You guys think we can make it up with our fwd toaster? Also, are there fixtures to put targets on or do I have to bring all that? Sorry for the dumb questions, first timer here...
Not a dumb question. I made and brought my own. There might be some smaller things you can stand targets up against but I'd bring your own. If I hadn't brought my own I wouldn't have had anything to put targets on on the last lane. I also brought a ground pounder.

Well, me and the wife had thought to just bring some waterbottles to shoot at and of course clean them up when we leave, is that frowned upon or do I not need to worry? Don't know....

Well, me and the wife had thought to just bring some waterbottles to shoot at and of course clean them up when we leave, is that frowned upon or do I not need to worry? Don't know....
The rules for target shooting in the Oregon State Forests say nothing should be used as a target that could be considered trash by a Ranger.

Hm, no "trash", got it! Then I have to figure out what we will do tomorrow...
1-1/2" PVC target stand
Don't glue anything so part replacement is easy
From a 10' stick. go 6 pieces at 16" and you'll have a 24" cross piece
1x2 verts fit into the PVC
The large size paper clasps (4) hold your cardboard backer to the 1x2's

Simple, takes down flat for travel and is cheap to make
Get some Shoot-N-See targets at Walmart and you're in business

Last Edited:
Hm, no "trash", got it! Then I have to figure out what we will do tomorrow...
Your only hazard is a few potholes, none are very deep. If you have a lowered car scraping the pavement, you ain't going to get there.
Some people on the roads are not very courteous and hog the center. If your toaster is a Prius or a 2wd, don't go into the shoulder ditch. I last weekend, it is soft and you could easily get stuck.
I've had the tillamook county sheriff come upon me while out target shooting. Properly mounted targets are ideal. For a simple one, get the 1x2 40" pointed fir stakes at Home Depot (~$1 apiece), affix your target to cardboard and staple it to the stake. For targets, just print them out on the printer.
If you're going to do water bottles, use two stakes with a board across the top, and hang the water bottles. Bring garbage bags, and police the lane before you start shooting. If the sheriff/ranger comes upon you, and you are shooting water bottles, The bag is excellent indication you're going to pick up after yourself.
Water bottles: seems like great concept when you start out. Useless after 1 or two hits. Paper is better.

For really easy target hangers, I've purchased this at Ikea for $10. Works very well. Easy take down/set up, as long as you don't shoot it.

mulig-clothes-rack-white__0111585_PE262444_S4.JPG

1-1/2" PVC target stand
Don't glue anything so part replacement is easy
From a 10' stick. go 6 pieces at 16" and you'll have a 2' + cross piece
1x2 verts fit into the PVC
The large size paper clasps (4) hold your cardboard backer

Simple, takes down flat for travel and is cheap to make
Get some Shoot-N-See targets at Walmart and you're in business

Great holder idea. Thanks.

Great holder idea. Thanks.
Not my video, but that is how to make a PVC target stand.
No need for all the elbows and elaborate full-frame bases/full-frame uppers at all.
And definitely no glue....the fittings are taper-fit and will jam tightly.
That way, when a shot goes wild and hits the PVC, replacement of the damaged part is easy.
Surprised more people don't build them like that.

Edit:
Built as described, your cardboard backer will be 27" wide and however tall you want it.
My 1x2's are 6' long and there is enough space for an upper and lower target, provided the cardboard backer is tall enough.

If more width is needed, just go shorter on your two PVC uprights and the left over PVC piece will give you a wider frame.

Put a couple of rocks on the base if it's windy.

Last Edited:

to be perfectly honest knowing you would 100% pick up all shooting target trash and debris I wouldnt care or say a word at shooting water bottles, pretty harmless for a reactive target actually. But technically it is illegal and if a forest ranger or sheriff sees you he will stop. For a complete list of the rules visit trashnoland.org. Trash No Land Shooting Rules

The tips above on making your own target stand are excellent but I will add that a simple target stand made from 1x2" furring strips, wood screws, staple gun and a piece of scrap cardboard is super cheap and easy to make too....

Thank you for those tips and all the information! Not to be a smart***, BUT if I take a water bottle and put a red dot on it, I have technically manufactured my own target.... I guess!? Well, maybe that's paper targets only.

Thank you for those tips and all the information! Not to be a smart***, BUT if I take a water bottle and put a red dot on it, I have technically manufactured my own target.... I guess!? Well, maybe that's paper targets only.

you might have to wrap it in paper... :p I like your thinking though.

Good stewardship is what these sites are about. I won't condone shooting at bottles, as there are better targets available. However if you keep the idea in mind, to be a good steward of these shooting sites, clean up more than you brought in, your good in my book. Also, I'm pretty sure @Joe Link still offers a free bronze membership to this site for three garbage bags removed from shooting sites.

We are in, or close to fire season, so with that in mind, bring a shovel, fire extinguisher, and or water just in case.

And mostly, have fun and be safe!

If you would like any more info on shooting rules or how to get involved take a look at:

www.trashnoland.org

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top