JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm a newbie on this forum and a bit of a novice to shooting in general. I am planning on being up at Wolf Creek tomorrow afternoon with my 15 year old son, sighting in my AR and teaching my son how to shoot the .22 my dad handed down to him. Any way, just letting y'all know in case you're planning on being there. Please introduce yourself as I'd like to meet responsible shooters and someone who frequents this site seems to be a likely candidate.

I'll bring some trash bags with me to clean up when I leave. Always leave a place cleaner than you found it...

Just to make it easy on you, once you turn off of Hwy 26 onto North Fork Wolf Creek FSR, the second right is the turn you want to take to get to the shooting lanes. It is gravel roads and has dried up nicely, but I wouldn't drive my Honda Accord there.

Thanks gryghin.

We made it up there and had a blast. My son got to shoot the .22, .308 and .45...we had a lot of fun competing with the .22. The ground pounder was pretty fun. We shot on the lane at the end, #6 I think, and to me, it looked like the best lane. Overall it wasn't too trashed, although we did get a full bag of clay targets, odd pieces of electronic equipment, Krylon paint can, etc. But not too bad overall. I tried to smile and be friendly when people drove up but no one seemed to want to impose.

We looked at the unoccupied lanes when we left and stopped at Lane #2 as it was pretty trashed. Apparently containers of fry oil and spray foam cans are fun to shoot. We picked up a bunch of spray foam all over lane...pretty irritating. We didn't get it all, but most of it. Overall only 2.5 trash bags full.

Question, should we be cleaning up the steel/brass as well? We started to pick up some of that but decided it was best to focus on trash, etc. I could bring a magnet with me next time.
20170526_183939 (2).jpg 20170526_190758 (2).jpg 20170527_080126 (2).jpg

Thanks kmarshba! We appreciate the extra cleanup efforts! We all share the responsibility for these lanes and it's good to know shooters like you are on the team!

Glad you had a great time!

(I'll be up there tomorrow and I'll inspect your work!) :D

Thanks gryghin.

We made it up there and had a blast. My son got to shoot the .22, .308 and .45...we had a lot of fun competing with the .22. The ground pounder was pretty fun. We shot on the lane at the end, #6 I think, and to me, it looked like the best lane. Overall it wasn't too trashed, although we did get a full bag of clay targets, odd pieces of electronic equipment, Krylon paint can, etc. But not too bad overall. I tried to smile and be friendly when people drove up but no one seemed to want to impose.

We looked at the unoccupied lanes when we left and stopped at Lane #2 as it was pretty trashed. Apparently containers of fry oil and spray foam cans are fun to shoot. We picked up a bunch of spray foam all over lane...pretty irritating. We didn't get it all, but most of it. Overall only 2.5 trash bags full.

Question, should we be cleaning up the steel/brass as well? We started to pick up some of that but decided it was best to focus on trash, etc. I could bring a magnet with me next time.
View attachment 366199 View attachment 366200 View attachment 366202

Thanks for cleaning it up. The clay targets are biodegradable so they are fine to leave. Though I would usually put them on the burm and shoot them into smaller pieces just to make it look a little nicer.

lane two, the one I convinced them to add, is the one that always seems to be trashed :rolleyes:

oh, you can get a magnet pickup tool at harbor freight for $10. The steel casings are good to recycle. Farwest recycling in HIllsboro pays for steel. small funds for buying more ammo

Last Edited:
I was just up there today, it looked clean. Thanks for cleaning up. It's always great to meet other forum members there. Today in lane 4, there was a family already shooting, we talked for a bit then asked if it would be ok to join them. They said sure and made room.

It was great, they even let us shoot their Mosin and Mauser.

The lanes looked pretty good today. Got there at 8:30 and all 4 lanes were full. Funny though, about 11:00 to 12:30 all lanes were empty and quiet!

We met with ODF and reviewed these lanes to try and come up with solutions to the eroding dirt pile berms. That clay soil breaks down and washes into a muddy mess. It was also mentioned that the berms were meant to be backstops for targets placed in front of the berms. The berms were not supposed to be where you put your targets, it was supposed to be just a backstop. We needed a backstop because the grass behind it gets dry and is a potential for a fire damage. Therefore, put in a backstop. So, we're looking for ways to help support the dirt berms. Any ideas?

We also discussed ways to correct the mud issue down the lanes.

We'll have new signs soon and will need some volunteers to help install them.

Met this nice couple at Lane 2.
Lane 2 couple.jpg

Family with kids at Lane 3 teaching the kids how to do it right.
Lane 3 Family.jpg

Good folks on the left who opened up the right side to strangers that asked to shoot.
Lane 6 Group.jpg

Our meeting to day was also about the possible new lanes. So we set out to preview some potential sites. That may need to be a separate thread (A lot of discussion needs to take place about these new lanes). I'll need a little time to organize some photos and info. Will post about it soon.

ODF truck.jpg

Bill

The lanes looked pretty good today. Got there at 8:30 and all 4 lanes were full. Funny though, about 11:00 to 12:30 all lanes were empty and quiet!

We met with ODF and reviewed these lanes to try and come up with solutions to the eroding dirt pile berms. That clay soil breaks down and washes into a muddy mess. It was also mentioned that the berms were meant to be backstops for targets placed in front of the berms. The berms were not supposed to be where you put your targets, it was supposed to be just a backstop. We needed a backstop because the grass behind it gets dry and is a potential for a fire damage. Therefore, put in a backstop. So, we're looking for ways to help support the dirt berms. Any ideas?

We also discussed ways to correct the mud issue down the lanes.

We'll have new signs soon and will need some volunteers to help install them.

Met this nice couple at Lane 2.
View attachment 366473

Family with kids at Lane 3 teaching the kids how to do it right.
View attachment 366474

Good folks on the left who opened up the right side to strangers that asked to shoot.
View attachment 366476

Our meeting to day was also about the possible new lanes. So we set out to preview some potential sites. That may need to be a separate thread (A lot of discussion needs to take place about these new lanes). I'll need a little time to organize some photos and info. Will post about it soon.

View attachment 366484

Bill

It was nice to meet you today at lane 3 Bill! Looking forward to hearing about the possibility of new lanes on the newer logging roads.

The gentleman with his two sons was nice enough to tell us to join him as we were driving back down. We had a good time.

There was a ton of brass around but I had only brought one small trash bag on accident. No real garbage which was great. I think we all cleared because it got hot quick up there.

He had me going with the Bomb scare! I couldn't figure out why you were still there if there was a bomb at the shooting line!

We swung back by and emptied the contents on the ground, cleared the ignition apparatus and all is clear! Ha!:eek:

He had me going with the Bomb scare! I couldn't figure out why you were still there if there was a bomb at the shooting line!

We swung back by and emptied the contents on the ground, cleared the ignition apparatus and all is clear! Ha!:eek:

Haha I didn't even realize it was there until the guy we were sharing with pointed it out. He made me double take when he first brought it up lol

Huh? Did i miss something? Is this a joke cogs? Did some dipschit leave something there or...???

A sandwich bag filled with gun powder, tied off and a wick out the top. They never got it lit. The ignition device was a butane log lighter and it didn't work so they tore it all apart and left it in pieces. The first thing the guy said, when I drove up, was... We found a bomb!

Geez!

Huh? Did i miss something? Is this a joke cogs? Did some dipschit leave something there or...???

I was wondering the same thing?!?

A sandwich bag filled with gun powder, tied off and a wick out the top. They never got it lit. The ignition device was a butane log lighter and it didn't work so they tore it all apart and left it in pieces. The first thing the guy said, when I drove up, was... We found a bomb!

Geez!

I didn't even realize there was a "bomb" until it was pointed out. Wouldn't have done anything other than smoke and flame had they gotten it lit.

He was smart enough to know it wasn't a concern. He was just funnin with us.

Good though, that he taught the kids about it and they left it alone. They also had no fear of it.

Thought I'd go shooting on Memorial day but figured it would be a popular place on this weekend in particular. So I headed out early and got there about 6am and was the first there, but only by about 15 minutes when another group showed up. Since I was first I got lane 4 and they took lane 3. It was the perfect morning for some shooting :). Lane 2 had some target stands left behind, but otherwise the lanes looked clean.

I too am excited by the proposed new lanes and would like to volunteer in whatever capacity I can!

Image2.jpg Image4.jpg Image5.jpg

Last Edited:
Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top