Tags:
  1. Koda

Koda
    Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

100yds would be super helpful, ideally we would need a few of those...

nammac and WildBills-AR like this.
  2. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

There is a safe spot around the loop, so to say, from these sites that has a good two hundred yards of doable distance. It is usually taken, so get out to it early.

F2CMaDMaXX and nammac like this.
  3. wcdubois

wcdubois
    Oregon Coast
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I should also mention bigger parking areas. When we had our big cleanup BBQ last year there was no parking left.
    Those of you with trucks can just pull off the road, but those of us with low slung cars are SOL.

4. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    Unity = Strength
    Never Surrender The Fight Bronze Supporter

Where I live , Douglas County there is no real custodial action down here and why we try and bring out more then we bring in would be nice to start a project down here like you all have done up north.

5. Norm0931

Norm0931
    Hillsboro, OR
    Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

We'll do our best. We are shooters too, but ultimately we work with what the Forest Service is willing to provide. I think it's fair to remain optimistic that this program will probably continue to expand. We'll keep you guys updated after our site survey next weekend. Speaking of which, anyone have a range finder I could borrow?

Parking areas are limited by the current roads. Forest Service has limited interest, aside from safety and fire, from demolishing forest for parking. You can't really knock them for that. I realize there are lots of ways to make the current sites and future sites better, but we also have to temper our wants with reasonableness on their part. If they stick themselves out there too much, the wrath from Salem will be extreme.

gryghin, F2CMaDMaXX, nammac and 2 others like this.
  6. Norm0931

Norm0931
    Hillsboro, OR

Dune, if you get in touch with your local Forestry department, I can provide you with the site template we built up here with Tillamook.

gryghin, Kristina, nammac and 2 others like this.
  7. Koda

Koda
    Oregon

Thank you for taking the best approach to this, far better to establish and expand developed shooting lanes than push limits on what we have. Establishing state approved developed public shooting lanes sets a pro-gun precedence and grandfathers them in for the future.

MrMillspecer, Cosimel, Mikej and 4 others like this.
  8. nehalemguy

nehalemguy
    Vernonia
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

I visited the lanes this afternoon. I was really impressed with how clean everything was. It was the first trip in awhile where I didn't feel the need to bag up a bunch of garbage.

E

9. jlhopwo

jlhopwo
    Portland, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I went to Wolf Creek today, and was told by a lumber trucker that the lanes were closed to do someone shooting up their equipment. He sent me to Salmonberry, which I used. It I stopped at the first turnout on the left; it was severely trashed. Picked up what I could, but didn't have any real trash bags. :-(

10. Norm0931

Norm0931
    Hillsboro, OR

Timber company has no authority to close the lanes. Could you PM me more info. Need to squash that bubblegum real quick.

11. bolus

bolus
    Far from Prozanski
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

My stepson was up there today.
    The truckers cant shut it down. It would be posted here if it was closed:
    Tillamook State Forest Blog: Target Shooting

thanks for picking up what you could

VID_20170524_174000774_1.gif

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    DuneHopper, spookshack and gryghin like this.
  12. jlhopwo

jlhopwo
    Portland, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It was my first time up there, and first time using the outdoor areas to shoot.

About 200 yards after turning on to the road from highway 26, we encountered a logging truck coming down the road. We had to back up a bit to find a place where we could let him pass. He stopped next to us and told us that the range was closed and posted as such because someone had shot up some of their equipment parked nearby. He also said there were a lot more trucks coming down the road. He suggested Salmonberry so we went there.

I'm surprised he lied.

13. Koda

Koda
    Oregon

Im not...

Its my understanding (and somebody correct me if Im wrong....) that the more logs they deliver each day the more money they make. Thats why log trucks are always barreling down the forest roads like a bat out of hell... A really dangerous practice on a public road regardless how much its used.

I can see how with the developed lanes now an increase in public traffic even mid week, they might not be used to seeing that and fostering some resentment.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  14. Norm0931

Norm0931
    Hillsboro, OR

I'll let the forest service know about this when I meet with them this weekend.

15. kmarshba

kmarshba
    Scholls

I'm a newbie on this forum and a bit of a novice to shooting in general. I am planning on being up at Wolf Creek tomorrow afternoon with my 15 year old son, sighting in my AR and teaching my son how to shoot the .22 my dad handed down to him. Any way, just letting y'all know in case you're planning on being there. Please introduce yourself as I'd like to meet responsible shooters and someone who frequents this site seems to be a likely candidate.

I'll bring some trash bags with me to clean up when I leave. Always leave a place cleaner than you found it...

16. gryghin

gryghin
    Beaverton
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Just to make it easy on you, once you turn off of Hwy 26 onto North Fork Wolf Creek FSR, the second right is the turn you want to take to get to the shooting lanes. It is gravel roads and has dried up nicely, but I wouldn't drive my Honda Accord there.

17. kmarshba

kmarshba
    Scholls

Thanks gryghin.

We made it up there and had a blast. My son got to shoot the .22, .308 and .45...we had a lot of fun competing with the .22. The ground pounder was pretty fun. We shot on the lane at the end, #6 I think, and to me, it looked like the best lane. Overall it wasn't too trashed, although we did get a full bag of clay targets, odd pieces of electronic equipment, Krylon paint can, etc. But not too bad overall. I tried to smile and be friendly when people drove up but no one seemed to want to impose.

We looked at the unoccupied lanes when we left and stopped at Lane #2 as it was pretty trashed. Apparently containers of fry oil and spray foam cans are fun to shoot. We picked up a bunch of spray foam all over lane...pretty irritating. We didn't get it all, but most of it. Overall only 2.5 trash bags full.

Question, should we be cleaning up the steel/brass as well? We started to pick up some of that but decided it was best to focus on trash, etc. I could bring a magnet with me next time.
    20170526_183939 (2).jpg 20170526_190758 (2).jpg 20170527_080126 (2).jpg

Mistman, F2CMaDMaXX, Mikej and 8 others like this.
  18. Cogs

Cogs
    Washougal, WA.
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Thanks kmarshba! We appreciate the extra cleanup efforts! We all share the responsibility for these lanes and it's good to know shooters like you are on the team!

Glad you had a great time!

(I'll be up there tomorrow and I'll inspect your work!) :D

BDA.45, Cosimel, Camelfilter and 3 others like this.
  19. bolus

bolus
    Far from Prozanski
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thanks for cleaning it up. The clay targets are biodegradable so they are fine to leave. Though I would usually put them on the burm and shoot them into smaller pieces just to make it look a little nicer.

lane two, the one I convinced them to add, is the one that always seems to be trashed :rolleyes:

oh, you can get a magnet pickup tool at harbor freight for $10. The steel casings are good to recycle. Farwest recycling in HIllsboro pays for steel. small funds for buying more ammo

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  20. gryghin

gryghin
    Beaverton
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I was just up there today, it looked clean. Thanks for cleaning up. It's always great to meet other forum members there. Today in lane 4, there was a family already shooting, we talked for a bit then asked if it would be ok to join them. They said sure and made room.

It was great, they even let us shoot their Mosin and Mauser.

BDA.45, F2CMaDMaXX, Cosimel and 3 others like this.