JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was talking with another forum member during a sale, He mentioned that there were signs up on North Fork Wolf Creek FSR saying "No Target Shooting, Active Logging operations in progress."

I'm happy to report that the logging operations signs are on the first right turn. They've done a heck of a job clearing that section. If you keep on the main gravel road and go to the second right turn there are no signs restricting target shooting. There were some people out there in lane 2.

So, looks like we are good to go.

@spider ;)

They are reminding folks of the legalities of shooting on the logging lease. Don't do it.

Be aware of where you are, when shooting on public lands. You might not be on public lands, and the onus is on the user to know.

One of the reasons the N Fork Wolfe creek Rd lanes were setup.

I was talking with another forum member during a sale, He mentioned that there were signs up on North Fork Wolf Creek FSR saying "No Target Shooting, Active Logging operations in progress."

I'm happy to report that the logging operations signs are on the first right turn. They've done a heck of a job clearing that section. If you keep on the main gravel road and go to the second right turn there are no signs restricting target shooting. There were some people out there in lane 2.

So, looks like we are good to go.

@spider ;)
We're going to be up that first road at the end of the month checking out sites for 1 or 2 more additions this year. Tillamook Forestry is very pleased with the response the first site has received and wants to build upon that with us. In addition we'll be looking at improving the berms and the lanes at the current site. We might need to hold some fund raisers this year for gravel and/or dirt.

The signs are there about shooting on Timber land vs Forest Service land as @Camelfilter mentioned. Timber land is private property and it's easy to walk too far and end up there.

We're going to be up that first road at the end of the month checking out sites for 1 or 2 more additions this year. Tillamook Forestry is very pleased with the response the first site has received and wants to build upon that with us. In addition we'll be looking at improving the berms and the lanes at the current site. We might need to hold some fund raisers this year for gravel and/or dirt.

The signs are there about shooting on Timber land vs Forest Service land as @Camelfilter mentioned. Timber land is private property and it's easy to walk too far and end up there.

If at all possible see if you can get a 100 yard range set up. Longer ranges would also be nice but its hard to do up in the mountains.

I'm for a 100 yard too. It's difficult but would be amazing. I'm starting to get bummed out about so many people using this sight. On one hand I'm glad we can keep the trash and shooting in a area but it's just not big enough. With that said I encourage everyone to share the space dont just give someone the stink eye when they drive past. I have meet sever great guys and if someone is cool I let them shoot my special toys and they do the same so it's a win win.
Be safe be courteous, and clean up!

There is a safe spot around the loop, so to say, from these sites that has a good two hundred yards of doable distance. It is usually taken, so get out to it early.

If at all possible see if you can get a 100 yard range set up. Longer ranges would also be nice but its hard to do up in the mountains.

I should also mention bigger parking areas. When we had our big cleanup BBQ last year there was no parking left.
Those of you with trucks can just pull off the road, but those of us with low slung cars are SOL.

Where I live , Douglas County there is no real custodial action down here and why we try and bring out more then we bring in would be nice to start a project down here like you all have done up north.

We'll do our best. We are shooters too, but ultimately we work with what the Forest Service is willing to provide. I think it's fair to remain optimistic that this program will probably continue to expand. We'll keep you guys updated after our site survey next weekend. Speaking of which, anyone have a range finder I could borrow?

Parking areas are limited by the current roads. Forest Service has limited interest, aside from safety and fire, from demolishing forest for parking. You can't really knock them for that. I realize there are lots of ways to make the current sites and future sites better, but we also have to temper our wants with reasonableness on their part. If they stick themselves out there too much, the wrath from Salem will be extreme.

Where I live , Douglas County there is no real custodial action down here and why we try and bring out more then we bring in would be nice to start a project down here like you all have done up north.
Dune, if you get in touch with your local Forestry department, I can provide you with the site template we built up here with Tillamook.

We'll do our best. We are shooters too, but ultimately we work with what the Forest Service is willing to provide. I think it's fair to remain optimistic that this program will probably continue to expand. We'll keep you guys updated after our site survey next weekend. Speaking of which, anyone have a range finder I could borrow?

Parking areas are limited by the current roads. Forest Service has limited interest, aside from safety and fire, from demolishing forest for parking. You can't really knock them for that. I realize there are lots of ways to make the current sites and future sites better, but we also have to temper our wants with reasonableness on their part. If they stick themselves out there too much, the wrath from Salem will be extreme.
Thank you for taking the best approach to this, far better to establish and expand developed shooting lanes than push limits on what we have. Establishing state approved developed public shooting lanes sets a pro-gun precedence and grandfathers them in for the future.

I visited the lanes this afternoon. I was really impressed with how clean everything was. It was the first trip in awhile where I didn't feel the need to bag up a bunch of garbage.

E

I went to Wolf Creek today, and was told by a lumber trucker that the lanes were closed to do someone shooting up their equipment. He sent me to Salmonberry, which I used. It I stopped at the first turnout on the left; it was severely trashed. Picked up what I could, but didn't have any real trash bags. :-(

I went to Wolf Creek today, and was told by a lumber trucker that the lanes were closed to do someone shooting up their equipment. He sent me to Salmonberry, which I used. It I stopped at the first turnout on the left; it was severely trashed. Picked up what I could, but didn't have any real trash bags. :-(
Timber company has no authority to close the lanes. Could you PM me more info. Need to squash that bubblegum real quick.

My stepson was up there today.
The truckers cant shut it down. It would be posted here if it was closed:
Tillamook State Forest Blog: Target Shooting

thanks for picking up what you could

View attachment 365732

Last Edited:
My stepson was up there today.
The truckers cant shut it down. It would be posted here if it was closed:
Tillamook State Forest Blog: Target Shooting

thanks for picking up what you could

View attachment 365732

It was my first time up there, and first time using the outdoor areas to shoot.

About 200 yards after turning on to the road from highway 26, we encountered a logging truck coming down the road. We had to back up a bit to find a place where we could let him pass. He stopped next to us and told us that the range was closed and posted as such because someone had shot up some of their equipment parked nearby. He also said there were a lot more trucks coming down the road. He suggested Salmonberry so we went there.

I'm surprised he lied.

I'm surprised he lied.

Im not...

Its my understanding (and somebody correct me if Im wrong....) that the more logs they deliver each day the more money they make. Thats why log trucks are always barreling down the forest roads like a bat out of hell... A really dangerous practice on a public road regardless how much its used.

I can see how with the developed lanes now an increase in public traffic even mid week, they might not be used to seeing that and fostering some resentment.

Last Edited:
I'm a newbie on this forum and a bit of a novice to shooting in general. I am planning on being up at Wolf Creek tomorrow afternoon with my 15 year old son, sighting in my AR and teaching my son how to shoot the .22 my dad handed down to him. Any way, just letting y'all know in case you're planning on being there. Please introduce yourself as I'd like to meet responsible shooters and someone who frequents this site seems to be a likely candidate.

I'll bring some trash bags with me to clean up when I leave. Always leave a place cleaner than you found it...

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top