JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was just up there this Saturday. First time, so of course I didn't take the turn off even though my gut told me to; probably went a good half mile on some nasty road until I found some who knew where it was. Having camped most of my life, I just don't understand the confusion over the 'pack it in/pack it out' philosophy?!? Granted it wasn't all that bad, but obviously people haven't been policing their own brass for some time. I wanted to clean up more, brought several trash bags, but since it took me a while to find it, and I had a photo shoot in Forest Grove, I was only able to fill one bag, mostly shotgun shells. But now that I know where it is, I'll make a day of it next time and get some significant clean up done!

17547029_10158433076760357_1153036382987326748_o.jpg

Was just up there this Saturday. First time, so of course I didn't take the turn off even though my gut told me to; probably went a good half mile on some nasty road until I found some who knew where it was. Having camped most of my life, I just don't understand the confusion over the 'pack it in/pack it out' philosophy?!? Granted it wasn't all that bad, but obviously people haven't been policing their own brass for some time. I wanted to clean up more, brought several trash bags, but since it took me a while to find it, and I had a photo shoot in Forest Grove, I was only able to fill one bag, mostly shotgun shells. But now that I know where it is, I'll make a day of it next time and get some significant clean up done!

View attachment 352345
The more we maintain this site, the higher the likelihood we'll see this cooperation expand and more sites developed.

I'm not sure if it was a ODF employee or NWF member who hung the trash bags at each of the lanes, but the idea seems to be working.

I picked them up today, along with some other misc trash. The bags were mostly full and folks seem to be collecting addition trash next to the bags.

I didn't have any fresh bags to hang. Perhaps someone can drop some new ones off at the lanes?

20170327_181039.jpg

Spoke with ODF yesterday. There will be meetings this spring about improving the NFWC lanes (changing the material used for the lanes and the berms to be more weather resistant) AND expanding to other sites this year.

I'm kind of surprised there's that much trash there? Considering it was cleaned spotless about a month ago!

302373-15488c9a316ea71e09aa46703f47c87e.jpg

What is it with these azzwipes that can't take back what they brought with them? And where do you dump this stuff? Being in PDX we only get a 20 gallon can dumped every other week. It would take me two months or more to get that in my garbage at home.

I'm kind of surprised there's that much trash there? Considering it was cleaned spotless about a month ago!

View attachment 352748

What is it with these azzwipes that can't take back what they brought with them? And where do you dump this stuff? Being in PDX we only get a 20 gallon can dumped every other week. It would take me two months or more to get that in my garbage at home.

I think part of the problem is the mud.

Not that it should serve as an excuse, but I can kinda understand someone not wanting to put a mud caked target back inside their vehicle after an hour or two of shooting. Still, at the very least get the trash collected back to the signs were it's easier for someone else to clean up.

As for where I dispose of this stuff.......let's just say that my job has its perks. ;)

E

I think part of the problem is the mud.

Not that it should serve as an excuse, but I can kinda understand someone not wanting to put a mud caked target back inside their vehicle after an hour or two of shooting. Still, at the very least get the trash collected back to the signs were it's easier for someone else to clean up.

As for where I dispose of this stuff.......let's just say that my job has its perks. ;)

E

Perhaps some dont have the forsight.... But I think most have no intention of packing out their targets or cleaning up their casings and other trash.

The problem is too great to feel otherwise. If a spot was clean except for one shot up muddy target I might be more sympathetic in the rainy season but thats never the case.

Went up and had a pleasant afternoon at lane #4 today testing some 7.62 reloads out of the '91. I've heard claims that you can't reload brass shot from a HK or PTR. I proved that notion wrong today.
20170415_164732.jpg

Most of the mud had dried up although I still see standing water in front of the berm at lanes #2 and #3. ODF needs to correct those low areas this summer so that they won't hold water in the wet months. IMO.

A fellow named Steve helped me pick up some trash on lane #4 and I also swapped out the garbage bags at each of the lanes. Folks seem to be utilizing them for disposal.

20170415_173138.jpg

Do they have any ideas of locations for the new shooting lanes.
Yes they do. Most likely new lanes will be in that area of Salmon Berry/ North Fork Wolf Creek. Biggest issue is funding. I'm looking for available grants and volunteers to help get some more developed. Will post if & when some dollars become available!

It's encouraging to hear they are still in favor of developing more areas like this. I think it's a good move!

Bill

Was up there Saturday Morning for the third weekend in a row . . . I'm getting spoiled. Had a chance to shoot with a few people on lane #3. Unfortunately, in the first group, one of them started firing before anyone got their ears on, my left ear was ringing for the rest of the day. But they did let me fire their AK, so all is forgiven. The second group was a three generation of family, really nice people who helped me clean up, but they seemed to feel they had to keep off of my blue tarp, it's there catch brass, anyone's brass :)

IMG_20170415_113530_540.jpg

Each time I've been up there these last few weeks, the lanes seem to be mostly clean. Many are obviously not policing their brass, but whatever debris they leave, they seem to be leaving by the lane's bulletin board. I pulled this load out of lane #4 a few weeks back.

Packing-it-out.jpg

Goes to show some people will shoot at anything.

Will-shoot-at-anything.jpg

Does anyone know the condition of the roads getting to the sites , it's been a hell of a winter , and I don't have a truck , thanks
I've been up there every weekend in April and have noticed that they are filling in pot holes on the main road (if you can really call it a road), but new one develop weekly so it's kind of a moving target. The actually turn off and road to the lanes haven't changed much and don't seem to need any maintenance and are not to bad. It's really just that first stretch up to lane #1 that's kind of gnarly. Just go slow on the main road as to be able to maneuver to avoid new pot holes and keep it in low gear going up to the lanes. But yes, the rain has taken it's toll.

I've been up there every weekend in April and have noticed that they are filling in pot holes on the main road (if you can really call it a road), but new one develop weekly so it's kind of a moving target. The actually turn off and road to the lanes haven't changed much and don't seem to need any maintenance and are not to bad. It's really just that first stretch up to lane #1 that's kind of gnarly. Just go slow on the main road as to be able to maneuver to avoid new pot holes and keep it in low gear going up to the lanes. But yes, the rain has taken it's toll.

I tried going up there today. My minivan was able to handle the roads fine as long as I went slowly around the pot holes. Unfortunately, when I got up there I found signs saying target shooting was forbidden due to logging in the area.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top