JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I forgot to add that there is ACTIVE LOGGING going on just past the turnoff to the shooting Lanes. As a result I turned around and came back up here to do my trap shooting today.

*EDIT*

I ALSO forgot to add that there's active logging going on directly next to the road, approximately two or three hundred yards in from Hwy 26. These photos were all taken on the way back from shooting:
IMG_20161229_105310493_HDR_zpsugwnvcdm.jpg
IMG_20161229_105345250_zps7dbzrpwz.jpg
IMG_20161229_105441968_HDR_zps5uvw119m.jpg

And may I just say that I still sorta suck at trap? It may be due to a variety of factors, but I am LOVING the new Benelli!!

Last Edited:
I bet the snow will be around for a while, looks like more on the way next week poosibly. The good news is with the active logging the road should be plowed down giving access to target shooters... Probably not cars though till the road melts out.
Wish I had the day off to play, enjoy

Was up there yesterday morning on lane 2. Saw the active logging going on and even got to see a couple of trees coming down. That was a pretty cool sight. There were some pretty big pot holes up there, so if you plan on heading up in a car, watch out for those. Lane 2 was pretty slippery, lots of ice and snow on the ground. Once all the snow melts, I'm sure there's going to be tons brass on the ground.

My son-in-law and I pulled off 26 and onto Wolf creek about 8:00 yesterday morning. We didn't make it to far before coming up behind this guy. IMG_0001.JPG

After a slow crawl up the hill the yarder pulled off and let us by. I was hoping for the 3rd lane but the pickup ahead of us evidently had the same idea so we went on up to lane 4. There's nothing like the ringing of steel to welcome the upcoming new year.
IMG_0002.JPG
The toys of choice for the day were 22 plinkers and the Glock 26.
IMG_0003.JPG
We had the lane to ourselves till about 10:00. By 11:00 the traffic was becoming heavier than I enjoy. At one point 5 rigs rolled up at the same time. I told Ryan it was time to bug out. Each lane on the way down was packed. One of the first vehicles to come up had 2 young guys and gals in it. Red flags went up when the driver asked if the troopers patrolled the area much. I told him they did along with the Forest Service. My son-in-law figured they were intending to shoot tannerite. Hopefully he was not asking because they had something to hide. The first hour or so was cold but sunrises over the ridges are worth it. It pays in more ways than one to get up early and beat the crowds. As we left lite snow was falling and continued till we hit the valley.

Thanks for the pics Todd. Looks like the rubbish wasn't too bad?

One of the concerns I had about making these sites so desirable....People crowding in early in the morning to the point it's no longer worth going. Of course being a Saturday, and just after Christmas at that, makes sense.

We have been up several times throughout the year, always at first light. Yesterday was by and far the worst I have seen it for people. The lane was actually pretty clean. There was a guy who came up just to pick up brass. He filled a small bucket in an hour or so, but he had to work at it to get them out of the frozen mud. By 10:00 that ground was thawing and getting pretty squishy.

My son-in-law and I pulled off 26 and onto Wolf creek about 8:00 yesterday morning. We didn't make it to far before coming up behind this guy.View attachment 332441

After a slow crawl up the hill the yarder pulled off and let us by. I was hoping for the 3rd lane but the pickup ahead of us evidently had the same idea so we went on up to lane 4. There's nothing like the ringing of steel to welcome the upcoming new year.
View attachment 332442
The toys of choice for the day were 22 plinkers and the Glock 26.
View attachment 332443
We had the lane to ourselves till about 10:00. By 11:00 the traffic was becoming heavier than I enjoy. At one point 5 rigs rolled up at the same time. I told Ryan it was time to bug out. Each lane on the way down was packed. One of the first vehicles to come up had 2 young guys and gals in it. Red flags went up when the driver asked if the troopers patrolled the area much. I told him they did along with the Forest Service. My son-in-law figured they were intending to shoot tannerite. Hopefully he was not asking because they had something to hide. The first hour or so was cold but sunrises over the ridges are worth it. It pays in more ways than one to get up early and beat the crowds. As we left lite snow was falling and continued till we hit the valley.

My friend and I arrived at lane 4 yesterday at about 1:00. A group of younger folks were just packing up and heading out. They left the lane looking like a garbage dump. They had been shooting at water bottles and full cans of canned foods (i.e. peas, corn, etc.) and left everything where it landed.

There was also another group of young folk present (two guys, two girls) who were shooting clays. Very nice people. They apologized for the mess even though they were not responsible for it and offered up hot coffee that they had on a tailgated Coleman stove.

Before we left I picked up a garbage bag full of cans and bottles that the previous group had left which was kinda disgusting when you have food and mud mixed together.

If that group who left the mess happens to read this....go bubblegum yourself and your POS Ruger AR 556.

E

Well, that'll be the idiots asking after the troopers.

Why are people such complete dicks about this stuff?!

I say that, but i've previously left one of those reactive rubber targets at browns camp before :(
A bunch of other people still shooting when i had to leave quickly, and i forgot it, i doubt they left it there, last to leave will have taken that one home :(

My friend and I arrived at lane 4 yesterday at about 1:00. A group of younger folks were just packing up and heading out. They left the lane looking like a garbage dump. They had been shooting at water bottles and full cans of canned foods (i.e. peas, corn, etc.) and left everything where it landed.

There was also another group of young folk present (two guys, two girls) who were shooting clays. Very nice people. They apologized for the mess even though they were not responsible for it and offered up hot coffee that they had on a tailgated Coleman stove.

Before we left I picked up a garbage bag full of cans and bottles that the previous group had left which was kinda disgusting when you have food and mud mixed together.

If that group who left the mess happens to read this....go bubblegum yourself and your POS Ruger AR 556.

E
That is disgusting and disheartening! Thank you for cleaning up after them even though you shouldn't have to. I too hope they read this, but I kind of doubt they will, bottom feeders tend to stay in the dark. I just sensed there was something sketchy about the weasel.

I've just started taking a box of large garbage bags, a shovel and a rake with me when I go up there. Seems like each time I've been up there I've ended up taking between 1 & 3 bags full of trash out with me.

and it ain't mine... :(

Tried to go up this morning but a gentleman from the logging operation informed us that the road was closed due to logging (downed trees across the road). It was also pretty slick so we had a bit of a hard time turning around on the hill. We headed up to Salmonberry instead. There was even more snow up there, but we made it up in a two-wheel drive truck with chains just fine. I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got a capable rig and/or are a very good driver.

Has anyone been up there this week to know if the roads are slick or if logging has closed anything down? I was thinking of heading up tomorrow morning.
Welcome to the forum

This is from tripcheck near the location about 300 ft higher elevation. So would recommend 4x4 and also to start heading back before the saturday night storm.
US26 at Sunset Rest Area_pid2310.JPG

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top