JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just went to the shooting lanes today and it seems like water managed to cause a small landslide and cut a deep groove in the road. These photos are driving toward the freeway, as I was able to navigate through it, but the landslide partially blocks the road, so it's only one car wide there now. I wouldn't want to tackle this without 4WD, especially if it ices over.

As for the lanes, I managed to get there as someone else was leaving. It was also COLD, and WINDY, the kind of wind that sucks all the warmth out of your fingers. I only inspected lanes 1 and 2, but they were both relatively clean. Make sure you leave your sneakers at home and pack real boots as I almost slipped on some ice, and that same ice was slippery mud by the time I was done shooting from the sun shining on it. After I got there, there was about 5 cars that came after me looking for a space. The forestry service usually does a drive by the lanes, but I didn't see them today.

I don't know how to report the trail damage to the forestry service, so I'll leave it to you guys. Here's a couple pictures from my car's dashcam. Time, date, and GPS location are in the bottom left.

cap_2023_01_31_123114_00_00_00_57_01.jpg cap_2023_01_31_123214_00_00_00_02_01.jpg

I just went to the shooting lanes today and it seems like water managed to cause a small landslide and cut a deep groove in the road. These photos are driving toward the freeway, as I was able to navigate through it, but the landslide partially blocks the road, so it's only one car wide there now. I wouldn't want to tackle this without 4WD, especially if it ices over.

As for the lanes, I managed to get there as someone else was leaving. It was also COLD, and WINDY, the kind of wind that sucks all the warmth out of your fingers. I only inspected lanes 1 and 2, but they were both relatively clean. Make sure you leave your sneakers at home and pack real boots as I almost slipped on some ice, and that same ice was slippery mud by the time I was done shooting from the sun shining on it. After I got there, there was about 5 cars that came after me looking for a space. The forestry service usually does a drive by the lanes, but I didn't see them today.

I don't know how to report the trail damage to the forestry service, so I'll leave it to you guys. Here's a couple pictures from my car's dashcam. Time, date, and GPS location are in the bottom left.

View attachment 1356877 View attachment 1356878
I shot off an email to ODF. Thanks for the report!

Bill

Randy Peterson is the Statewide Director of Recreation for ODF and he replied with this message...

Thanks Bill. I forwarded it to the Road Unit manager. Please let the individual know we appreciate being notified about issues like this.

It's always good to keep in touch with forest officials. They need to hear from target shooters more often!

Thanks Cogs! Long time no see! It's nice to hear from the ODF so quickly. That little stream made the whole width of the road a literal ice skating ring in the morning, not so bad when I left around 1PM, as it melted quite a bit by then (not to mention a couple of other brave drivers breaking that ice sheet up). That's something to consider if you're not used to driving on ice.

Another note from Randy today;

Our Roads Unit Manager is hoping to get our Road Crew out to fix the road next week. Timing is dependent on other maintenance priorities.

Any one been up there since the snow?
Went up on Saturday. Some of the compact snow to the sides got slick enough to where I had to rev a little to gain traction.

But it's certainly doable and there is enough cleared away with tire tracks that you won't have much issue getting around.. it's more so the shoulders that get a little slick.
Small sedans with two wheel drive may struggle a bit but if a person brings a shovel or can use brush from surrounding bushes for traction then they'll be fine.

Salmonberry is an absolute no go IMO. 2ft+ snow (looked like), it was my first choice for shooting and the snow was high enough on the sides of the road plus the main drag that I fully gave up. Just not worth it. Still snowing a bit at that elevation too, so for folks interested in SB, save your time and go to wolf creek instead for the next month or until the weather turns warm.

Oh, that little bit of erosion depicted in post #3823 hasn't gotten any worse. Looks like the water is bringing down enough material to keep it shallow.

Oh that is WAY more clear than when I went! And yep, the vehicle was there.. really odd for where it was flipped. I don't understand how that happened because I saw no slippage or brush damage as if it rolled.
Tanerite blew it straight up, it flipped and landed on its top. :)

Maybe someone rolled it off the flatbed.

But most likely, it was under a balloon from China. :)

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top