JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We made it past the $500 mark with a $100 donation from @Rand Hawkyns ! Sweet!!!

That means Trash No Land adds $100 as well! That Bullet is moving right along! (TNL bumps another $100 when we hit the 1100 mark!).

Goal Meter at 690.jpg

Hey everyone, been a while since I have posted here, wanted to give an update of my experience.

I took a friend up to the North Fork Wolf Creek lanes; there is a pile of trash piled up near the lane 2 sign. Glass, clays, and other various debris left all over lane 2. I brought 2 bags and we filled them up. Although there is still a lot of trash out there. Also spotted some graffiti on the barrier. I didn't check other lanes as they were occupied at the time.

This was my first time there and it is so much nicer than the 36 pit and definitely a lot cleaner, still more trash than it should be.

20210305_075435.jpg 20210305_074543.jpg 20210305_075431.jpg 20210305_075442.jpg 20210305_074538.jpg

As for the graffiti, I have some anti-graffiti coating we can put on the barriers and rocks. First we gotta cover the graffiti with a couple shades of grey and make it look as natural as possible. Then spray on this coating.

Graffiti Blok.jpg

The 5 gallon container was donated by Miller Paint Co in Vancouver and is for a specific project in the Yacolt Burn State Forest. If there's any left over from that project, I'll use it at Wolf Creek. The container is about a $300 value! Nice donation! We will need to buy the grey spray paint, but that's the minor part.

We've had too many bad weather weekends to paint rocks but I think we'll get the Burn done soon.

Bill

Regarding the Public Safety Project at Wolf Creek lane 3...

Wow! I'm learning a lot about this planting stuff! Things I never wanted to know, like Vaccinium Parvifolium, Rubus Spectabilis and Alnus Rubra! (Red Huckleberry, Salmonberry and Red Alder) and more.

My native landscape guy and I are laying out the planting plan. Different species need different distances apart and there's the water issue… A good tip he has is to add wood chips around the plant. They help retain moisture and will help new seedlings to take hold around the plant.

If we plant in April, we're going into a hot dry summer season and they will need water to survive! So, we're trying to plan for hearty plants at first (that may survive the summer), and do a second planting in the fall.

We may need to break this project into two separate events because of the potential for dead plants from the summer heat with no water. For the first go round, we like to accomplish:
  • Ground disturbance. Rough up the ground and smooth out the 'backstop'. Make it not so easy to walk on.
  • Plant the backstop.
  • Plant across the front access and the back edge.
  • Get a few plants in the middle.
  • Rope off whole area with caution tape and maintain as needed.
That's the majority of the project. The second phase won't cost as much and we won't need to rent excavating equipment. We would then finish planting the void spots.

I found a supplier of native plants who is based out of Forest Grove! Scholls Valley Native Nursery. I love their website! Very informative. Karl, the owner, is very responsive to my questions and very helpful. I have a good feeling that he may be a great outfit to work with. He may also be the only native nursery in all of the Portland Metro area.

Schedule… If we can raise the funds soon enough, I'd like to get plants in the ground in early April. I hate for projects to go on too long! We'll need to ramp up our fundraising efforts and try to come up with as much as we can, as soon as we can. We'll see how much we can get done in April, and then plan on the rest by fall.

Oh, the excavator cost is looking to be about a $400 bill (with a 1 day rental, trailer rental and fuel). Most likely, I'll rent one from NW Equipment Rental in Hillsboro. We will need someone with a 3/4 ton pickup to haul it. Pick up on a Friday evening, and return it by Sat 5 PM.

So that's what I got for now. Any thoughts or input?

Bill

I'd like to ask what kind of money you're looking to spend to buy and install these "Native" plants? You have to realize that the forest is actually not fertile ground. It isn't historic flood plain like the Willamette Valley. The coast range is very inhospitable to many plants. Think about billions of seeds, and really, only a few survive. Think about where you're expecting these plants to grow, on that landing. It's basically a highly compacted gravel with very little native soil. Unless you're going to dig holes for your plants that are, at least, 2-times the diameter of the pot, (three times would be better), and use a fertile planting mix in the planting hole, those new plants are going to have a rough time of it. Especially considering you're looking to get them in the ground, mid April(?) That's only two months until mid June when the sun will be beating down on that landing. Keeping those plants watered through hot sunny weather will be absolutely necessary. Even with good added soil in the planting holes. Just something to consider. Making the area so people won't shoot from there seems to be the priority. Planting stuff might be better to do in late September/early October.

I'd like to ask what kind of money you're looking to spend to buy and install these "Native" plants? You have to realize that the forest is actually not fertile ground. It isn't historic flood plain like the Willamette Valley. The coast range is very inhospitable to many plants. Think about billions of seeds, and really, only a few survive. Think about where you're expecting these plants to grow, on that landing. It's basically a highly compacted gravel with very little native soil. Unless you're going to dig holes for your plants that are, at least, 2-times the diameter of the pot, (three times would be better), and use a fertile planting mix in the planting hole, those new plants are going to have a rough time of it. Especially considering you're looking to get them in the ground, mid April(?) That's only two months until mid June when the sun will be beating down on that landing. Keeping those plants watered through hot sunny weather will be absolutely necessary. Even with good added soil in the planting holes. Just something to consider. Making the area so people won't shoot from there seems to be the priority. Planting stuff might be better to do in late September/early October.
You got that right, Mike. Finally, someone gave the whole situation some serious consideration! The time of year for this project is not good to plant. It is certainly direct sunshine all day long and very little rain. We're considering some options.

The primary goal is to stop shooting into the backstop, so, plant that first and foremost. After that, the back wall would be 2nd priority (to deter shooting off the edge toward the roadway). But plant with what? Out of our list of native plants, there are a couple that could stand a chance of survival over the summer. But if we buy the bigger ones, (which are more desirable for a physical and visual block), most likely they will die for lack of water. A regular delivery of a water truck is not feasible either.

We will need to do a 2 phase project to complete the whole thing. Do something now without spending a whole lot, even if it's temporary, and do the final planting in the fall, just as the rainy season comes on.

Such as... (I have to get ODF approval for this idea)... I can get a bunch of free Arborvitaes. They are ones being removed from the current location and will not survive past this summer. So, plant the berm and back wall with them now, and tear them out in the fall. Sure, they are not native, but they won't be staying and could help accomplish the primary important goal for now. It won't be easy to put targets on Arborvitaes and they would block the visual temptation to shoot there. It just wouldn't look like a place to shoot.

Since we will have the excavator this spring, we'll dig up the whole flat area. (If you recall, there is gravel for most of the walk but then it is just the bare clay dirt. It's only the dirt area we're looking to plant.) By digging it all up with the excavator, it will be easier to plant next fall and it will make it rather awkward to walk on, so, we should have fewer visitors using that back area.

When we plant, we'll certainly carve out the appropriate size of each hole to the plant specs. We'll also add wood chips to help retain moisture and create a good environment for future seedling offspring's. Certainly, we'll add a good plant mix. I'm working with recommendations from native nursery's and a native landscape advisor, so, I'm sure we can't go too far wrong!

Thanks for the the comments and words of caution!
Bill

Much about this project is unprecedented, and we've considered the issue of water during the hot summer months and currently we're considering a phased planting schedule with at least half of the plants being planted in late summer/early fall. Fortunately Bill has access to a well informed landscaper who's helping us with this project. I personally have no issues with filling up the back of my Outback with gallon jugs filled with water and going up there at least once a week to water them. With the number of volunteers stepping up, I think we stand a good chance of keeping what we plant alive and healthy.

Much about this project is unprecedented, and we've considered the issue of water during the hot summer months and currently we're considering a phased planting schedule with at least half of the plants being planted in late summer/early fall. Fortunately Bill has access to a well informed landscaper who's helping us with this project. I personally have no issues with filling up the back of my Outback with gallon jugs filled with water and going up there at least once a week to water them. With the number of volunteers stepping up, I think we stand a good chance of keeping what we plant alive and healthy.
I have also been thinking about the big container you can rent, fill it with water and have a long hose that would reach the plants. Have someone with a truck go up every so often and water. That would be an 'Ify' kind of plan and I'm not so sure it would work consistently.

Just consider this....what grows there now? What ever you plant, without an oversized planting hole with decent soil and something that actually holds water long enough to give the new plant a good start. Well, same question what grows there now? That would be the criteria to use.

Just consider this....what grows there now? What ever you plant, without an oversized planting hole with decent soil and something that actually holds water long enough to give the new plant a good start. Well, same question what grows there now? That would be the criteria to use.
Absolutely right, Mike. Here's a list of ODF approved native species that we may plant in that area. You would find any of these all over the McGregor Basin area. We are planning on 4, maybe 5 of these and several of each kind, depending on if they are trees or shrubs and in variable sizes.

ODF Approved Native Plant List.jpg

Not to derail from the AMAZING project-oriented conversation going on here (seriously, this is the coolest thing on the board, y'all)... BUT!

Anybody been using the lanes lately? Are they available? I've got a new rifle for the Fall season needs sighting in and was hoping to head over to North Fork one of the next couple weekends.

Not to derail from the AMAZING project-oriented conversation going on here (seriously, this is the coolest thing on the board, y'all)... BUT!

Anybody been using the lanes lately? Are they available? I've got a new rifle for the Fall season needs sighting in and was hoping to head over to North Fork one of the next couple weekends.

If you go on a weekend, plan on waiting in line. Just have to be patient.

I was up there last week and while there was still signs of snowfall on the sides of the road, both Wolf Creek Rd and the road to lanes are back to fully accessible. The lanes are open as always, and busy, as always. Get there early or bring something to bide your time while you wait, but either lane 3 or 4 would be excellent for sighting in your rifle.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top