JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glad you made it out safe Steve.

As for the Public Safety Project, I have been going back and forth about this since it's inception and have some concerns about it's effectiveness. I have felt that the only way to deal with the issue is to completely block off access since people are a** hats and will not give a flying s**t about the time, effort and money it took to insure that the area stays safe. We have all seen how effective the little sign out front has been, right? Heck, that little "back stop" that is shot into the hillside already had natural plant growth on it. I'll just leave it at that.

My pick and shovel are ready and willing when it's go time and I just donated to the cause.
Valid concerns and shared by all! We can only hope for the best and keep an eye on it.

Thank you for that awesome strong support! Another $100 to the cause!!! :s0023:

Glad you made it out safe Steve.

As for the Public Safety Project, I have been going back and forth about this since it's inception and have some concerns about it's effectiveness. I have felt that the only way to deal with the issue is to completely block off access since people are a** hats and will not give a flying s**t about the time, effort and money it took to insure that the area stays safe. We have all seen how effective the little sign out front has been, right? Heck, that little "back stop" that is shot into the hillside already had natural plant growth on it. I'll just leave it at that.

My pick and shovel are ready and willing when it's go time and I just donated to the cause.
Hey Steve, many thanks for the donation !!!!! It does concern me too that we'll put all this time, money, and effort in to this project just to have some a**hats who where either counting on shooting in that area or just being sh*t heads and in a few minutes tear the place up. But if what we plant there is big enough and can take root, then it will hopefully be just like all the other areas surrounding the lanes and not an open invitation to shoot.

Is north fork wolf creek road able to be driven up yet? how far?
I can't say, I'm not planing on trying again until next Wednesday; it's the next forecast of a dry day and a good week for it to thaw out. It wasn't really the snow so much as the layer of ice on top that made it unusable. Even though temps are coming up, it's still probably not getting much above freezing at that altitude.

Hey Steve, many thanks for the donation !!!!! It does concern me too that we'll put all this time, money, and effort in to this project just to have some a**hats who where either counting on shooting in that area or just being sh*t heads and in a few minutes tear the place up. But if what we plant there is big enough and can take root, then it will hopefully be just like all the other areas surrounding the lanes and not an open invitation to shoot.
Yep I agree. Discouragement/deterrence is the goal not outright exclusion Imo (because exclusion isn't really possible unless the road is blocked off lower down). If it's a fight through thorny bushes fe then that makes it all the harder. Also if they can't see the dangerous shooting area due to a thick wall of green they will go somewhere else. As long as overnight results aren't expected, it will work long term imo. Blackberry can grow up to 15 feet per year when they are mature. They have big thorns. They taste yummy when u are up there shooting. ;) But DOF may not like it.

U may also want to think about psychological barriers such as signs etc. (yes they will get shot up and will need to be replaced until the vegetation grows up but it will help turn some folks away from that spot, so make them out of cheap corrugated plastic not metal etc and expect that they will have to be replaced). Maybe make them small so they can't be used as target holders. Some poeple will respect the boundary if they know why it's there (unsafe to shoot here/active planting area/stay out etc). Also if there is a "boundary" they have to cross that will help turn some poeple away. Think of thin plastic flagging tape around construction areas. It takes some mental effort to go through the thin tape. Just an example of how a barrier/boundary, that is not an actual physical barrier, can work. I'm not suggesting using thin flagging tape.

I don't know the area but if poeple driving to the unsafe shooting spot is part of the problem then perhaps install simple cheap metal fence posts placed close enough together so a car can't drive between them can discourage them driving in. Yes, the committed hooligans will try to push them over with their big trucks (and their truck may end up impaled on one :p). But maybe the scavengers will try to remove them to sell the metal if they aren't in deep enough?

Last Edited:
Yep I agree. Discouragement/deterrence is the goal not outright exclusion Imo (because exclusion isn't really possible unless the road is blocked off lower down). If it's a fight through thorny bushes fe then that makes it all the harder. Also if they can't see the dangerous shooting area due to a thick wall of green they will go somewhere else. As long as overnight results aren't expected, it will work long term imo. Blackberry can grow up to 15 feet per year when they are mature. They have big thorns. They taste yummy when u are up there shooting. ;) But DOF may not like it.

U may also want to think about psychological barriers such as signs etc. (yes they will get shot up and will need to be replaced until the vegetation grows up but it will help turn some folks away from that spot, so make them out of cheap corrugated plastic not metal etc and expect that they will have to be replaced). Maybe make them small so they can't be used as target holders. Some poeple will respect the boundary if they know why it's there (unsafe to shoot here/active planting area/stay out etc). Also if there is a "boundary" they have to cross that will help turn some poeple away. Think of thin plastic flagging tape around construction areas. It takes some mental effort to go through the thin tape. Just an example of how a barrier/boundary, that is not an actual physical barrier, can work. I'm not suggesting using thin flagging tape.

I don't know the area but if poeple driving to the unsafe shooting spot is part of the problem then perhaps install simple cheap metal fence posts placed close enough together so a car can't drive between them can discourage them driving in. Yes, the committed hooligans will try to push them over with their big trucks (and their truck may end up impaled on one :p). But maybe the scavengers will try to remove them to sell the metal if they aren't in deep enough?Upload Media
Good points, ilike! As for the signs, yes we'll put another one up at the end of the picnic area (we already have one at the entryway). The signs we have are printed on the white corrugated plastic boards, so, we don't need to worry about theft if they were aluminum.
No Shooting Sign.jpg

The first wall of shrubs you will see, will be something like the blackberry bushes, however, blackberry is not on ODF's list of approved native plants, so it will be something different. The bigger trees will be behind those first bush plants. The idea is to make it look inaccessible by having a wall of thick brush. (I'm expecting a planting plan this weekend. Then we can get costs of materials and arrive with a total cost of the project. If the Bobcat w/operator is donated, then the rest of the cost will be only the trees and shrubs).

I like the idea of putting up a temporary 'Caution' tape in front of the newly planted area. Good visual deterrent!

I took a premature stab at the cost of this project, and called it $3000. It may very well be different, however, this gives us a starting point for fundraising. So, on the fundraising website page, I added a 'Goal Meter' to the bottom of the page. When the 'Bullet' hits the target, we're there! We've had 3 donations so far! Two $100 donations and one $15 donation! Nice!!!
Goal Meter Screenshot.jpg

https://www.trashnoland.org/fundraisers/public-safety-project-tillamook-state-forest-wolf-creek-rd/

I got a couple things so far. Still, no plant costs or an actual layout of where we'll plant each tree and shrub. But here's what I have so far…

Copy/paste from our landscape consultant: "… Evergreens (Fir & Cedar) about every ten feet apart. Total 20. Deciduous trees (Alder & big leaf maple) every 15 feet. Total 10. Small shrubs every three to six feet apart.
Total of 35 trees. I am still looking for stock/price.
I would plant the evergreen in back diagonally across the area from the top of the berm down toward the parking area. deciduous trees filling space from evergreen trees to side that slopes down hill.
Shrubs in front."

As for the excavator, if we need to rent one, cost would be real close to $375/day (includes a trailer to haul ourselves). This is a ball park 'close' idea of what one of these would cost to rent. We would need someone with a 3/4 ton pickup to tow (they won't allow my 1/2 ton to tow it!). It's from ERS Equipment Rentals, Washougal. I'm thinking a place near NF Wolf Creek would be better to rent from, and we'd stand a better chance at being able to get it back to the rental site by the end of a Saturday. I'll search the North Plains and Banks area for equipment rental (unless we get a donation of equipment).

The 35G.
John Deer 35.jpg

We now have $315 raised toward this project! Nice!

Here's an offer... For each $500 raised, for the Public Safety Project at North Fork Wolf Creek Lanes #3, Trash No Land will chip in an additional $100! So when we reach the $500 mark, TNL will toss another $100 to make it $600. Same when we hit $1100, TNL will bump it to $1200. When we hit $1700, TNL chips $100 to make it $1800. And so forth, until we reach the $3000 mark.

Deal? :s0155:

Was out this morning. Gods but it was frigid (wind, hail, and rain, anyone?).

For anyone actually wondering about accessing or using the range: Gravel road has some potholes, nothing bad. The range access road is actually pretty good. Any car can make it right now. The one thing you need to come prepared for right now is MUD. Lots of mud. That's the real reason for my post. Be forewarned, be prepared. Didn't even seem like trash was out of hand. Huge thanks to everyone who actually packs out their own trash and a little bonus trash each time.

I did get a visit from a guy scrounging brass. He was disappointed (I think) to hear that I policed my own and he asked if I reload (yes).

If I was a millionaire, what I would really like to do is dump a few yards of gravel at each range and level it. Maybe include some buried (and cheap) drainage pipes off to the low side of each. Anything to mitigate the mud. For now, bring your boots!

If I was a millionaire, what I would really like to do is dump a few yards of gravel at each range and level it. Maybe include some buried (and cheap) drainage pipes off to the low side of each. Anything to mitigate the mud. For now, bring your boots!
Sounds like you were on lane 1 or 4. Those lanes are currently in the process of being upgraded to include new gravel down each lane and new berm build outs (like lanes 2 & 3 that were done in 2019). We're currently waiting on a federal grant, from the Pittman-Robertson Act which is administered through the OR Dept of Fish & Wildlife, for funds to complete the upgrades (Grants are awarded to non-profits and Trash No Land is that certified non-profit). We've also raised $2500 from volunteers to help toward the goal (we may need a little more to finish the project, but will know more once they award the Pittman-Robertson grant).

As soon as we hear from the ODFW on our grant status, we'll post the info here, so keep an eye on this thread. For full details of the project, see https://www.trashnoland.org/fundraisers/wolf-creek-lanes-1-4-upgrades/

Bill

Okay, so let's bump that to $340 donations received for the Public Safety Project at lane 3! Thanks David! (not sure if you're a member here or a member from Trash No Land, but really appreciate it!) Thank you!

Hey, that was me. I check in here now and then. I met you up in Sunriver area this summer. I was shootin and you and another guy came by and gave me some literature.

I tried donating to the other improvement one too, but it wouldn't go through for some reason. Will try again later.

Regarding the Public Safety Project at Wolf Creek lane 3...

Wow! I'm learning a lot about this planting stuff! Things I never wanted to know, like Vaccinium Parvifolium, Rubus Spectabilis and Alnus Rubra! (Red Huckleberry, Salmonberry and Red Alder) and more.

My native landscape guy and I are laying out the planting plan. Different species need different distances apart and there's the water issue… A good tip he has is to add wood chips around the plant. They help retain moisture and will help new seedlings to take hold around the plant.

If we plant in April, we're going into a hot dry summer season and they will need water to survive! So, we're trying to plan for hearty plants at first (that may survive the summer), and do a second planting in the fall.

We may need to break this project into two separate events because of the potential for dead plants from the summer heat with no water. For the first go round, we like to accomplish:
  • Ground disturbance. Rough up the ground and smooth out the 'backstop'. Make it not so easy to walk on.
  • Plant the backstop.
  • Plant across the front access and the back edge.
  • Get a few plants in the middle.
  • Rope off whole area with caution tape and maintain as needed.
That's the majority of the project. The second phase won't cost as much and we won't need to rent excavating equipment. We would then finish planting the void spots.

I found a supplier of native plants who is based out of Forest Grove! Scholls Valley Native Nursery. I love their website! Very informative. Karl, the owner, is very responsive to my questions and very helpful. I have a good feeling that he may be a great outfit to work with. He may also be the only native nursery in all of the Portland Metro area.

Schedule… If we can raise the funds soon enough, I'd like to get plants in the ground in early April. I hate for projects to go on too long! We'll need to ramp up our fundraising efforts and try to come up with as much as we can, as soon as we can. We'll see how much we can get done in April, and then plan on the rest by fall.

Oh, the excavator cost is looking to be about a $400 bill (with a 1 day rental, trailer rental and fuel). Most likely, I'll rent one from NW Equipment Rental in Hillsboro. We will need someone with a 3/4 ton pickup to haul it. Pick up on a Friday evening, and return it by Sat 5 PM.

So that's what I got for now. Any thoughts or input?

Bill

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top