JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wanted to wait to post this here until the shenanigans in DC subsided a bit in hopes this wouldn't get lost in the background noise, but the Wolf Creek committee on the TNL's forum has begun decisions about the next project we can begin working on right away:

From our meeting with ODF arose a new project for our committee with an opportunity for immediate action, which is to address the unsafe shooting practices in the day use area across from lane 3. After careful inspection, it appears the unsafe shooting occurs past the graveled area and is either into the eroded hillside, or worst, off the ledge that overlooks N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd.

The current plan is to reduce that hillside while turning up the ground from the end of the gravel to the rear ledge after which we will plant vegetation off of ODF's approved list (to be determined). The hope is that this will keep people from being able to set up any sort of target shooting in that area.

We will need both volunteers to plant this vegetation and we will most likely need to raise some funds to acquire the plants. But first, we need to get some sort of excavation equipment, probably a bobcat with a bucket, to dig up the ground and reduce the hillside. In addition, the bucket would help us firm up both gravel berms on lane 3. So my first request of this committee is to brainstorm sourcing this need; if you have a bobcat or know somebody that does, we'd like to pursue that. If not, we'll need to figure out how to get one and somebody to operate it.

This seems like a huge thing, but it's really a simple operation, with the right people and gear. We can't hope this will be taken on my ODF, but if we can get this done, it will solidify our committee and it's future efforts.

I've been unimpressed with the swastikas and racist norse mythos stickers showing up in the shooting lanes. I bring a spray can and I try to take the stickers off, but it's a really bad look and damages the reputation of us gun owners.

How I plant trees in the forest....

Plant... Shoot. Plant... Shoot. Plant... Shoot. I'm done when I run out of one or the other.

Perhaps we'll need to rent a Bcat or something. Any recommendations for a 'Gun-Friendly' equipment rental place on the West side? I bet we can raise enough funds to cover that cost. I'm a tractor kind of guy and can wrangle a bucket pretty well, so if no one else volunteers that position, I'll do it.

I volunteer!

1611283961878.jpeg

I was at Lane 3 on Monday afternoon, the group there agreed to share the lane. After we set up the steel targets for pistol, I was loading my Ruger BX 25 mags and I hear shots coming from behind me. I walk over to where the other group parked and look into the clearing and see that someone is shooting there.

I walked back to my truck and grabbed a Trash No Land trifold handout to break the ice. I walk up holding the handout up high to get the older gentleman's attention. I told him, I'm one of the volunteers for TNL, have you heard of us? Are you on the NWFA forum? He answered no to both.

I explained who we are and why it's important to the community. I asked if he knew why shooting in that location was dangerous, too which he replied that he was shooting into this berm with 22LR. I told him that one side is active logging, the other side is the main road that leads in from the highway. The direction you are shooting isn't as safe even though there is a small berm, because the road leading to lane 4 curves by that direction and if there is an errant round that wouldn't be a good day for anyone.

He said he understood. I asked him to check out the forum, check out TNL so that he'll have a better understanding why that picnic area isn't a designated safe place to shoot.

I hope he checks this forum and this thread in particular. I really just want to keep everyone safe up there.

I also found out that the group sharing the lane with us were not on the NWFA forum and unaware of TNL, so I gave them a handout also.

This weekend is supposed to be nice, maybe time for a pop-up safety reminder? 20210122_010244.jpg

I walked back to my truck and grabbed a Trash No Land trifold handout to break the ice. I walk up holding the handout up high to get the older gentleman's attention. I told him, I'm one of the volunteers for TNL, have you heard of us? Are you on the NWFA forum? He answered no to both.
Great that you talked to them! I'm sure they'll be thinking about it next time. At least they are more aware of what to look for in a place to shoot.

I was at Lane 3 on Monday afternoon, the group there agreed to share the lane. After we set up the steel targets for pistol, I was loading my Ruger BX 25 mags and I hear shots coming from behind me. I walk over to where the other group parked and look into the clearing and see that someone is shooting there.

I explained who we are and why it's important to the community. I asked if he knew why shooting in that location was dangerous, too which he replied that he was shooting into this berm with 22LR. I told him that one side is active logging, the other side is the main road that leads in from the highway. The direction you are shooting isn't as safe even though there is a small berm, because the road leading to lane 4 curves by that direction and if there is an errant round that wouldn't be a good day for anyone.

He said he understood. I asked him to check out the forum, check out TNL so that he'll have a better understanding why that picnic area isn't a designated safe place to shoot.

I hope he checks this forum and this thread in particular. I really just want to keep everyone safe up there.

I also found out that the group sharing the lane with us were not on the NWFA forum and unaware of TNL, so I gave them a handout also.

This weekend is supposed to be nice, maybe time for a pop-up safety reminder?View attachment 811872
It's great that he was open to your input and not immediately defensive about it.

Picnic area shooting 1.jpg

Picnic area shooting 2.jpg

Right now it looks like a place to shoot, even though there is a sign down by the rocks at the entry. But with an exposed mound of dirt and evidence of others shooting there, people will continue to use it no matter how many signs we have.

Not a big project, but I think it's well worth our efforts. It will show that target shooters care about public safety.

View attachment 811877

View attachment 811878

Right now it looks like a place to shoot, even though there is a sign down by the rocks at the entry. But with an exposed mound of dirt and evidence of others shooting there, people will continue to use it no matter how many signs we have.

Not a big project, but I think it's well worth our efforts. It will show that target shooters care about public safety.
Thanks @Cogs for this illustration of our plans for this area and many thanks to @gryghin taking the initiative to inform and educate our fellow recreational shooters, each face to face encounter like this does count, but when it comes to the improper use of that area, this approach alone, even with signage, will not resolve the issue. This does however gets me excited about getting started :)

Thanks @Cogs for this illustration of our plans for this area and many thanks to @gryghin taking the initiative to inform and educate our fellow recreational shooters, each face to face encounter like this does count, but when it comes to the improper use of that area, this approach alone, even with signage, will not resolve the issue. This does however gets me excited about getting started :)
Dirtbags always gonna dirtbag, but we fight the good fight.

Wow, that's dangerous as hell. You can clearly see from Cosmiel's photos that people in the 4th lane are clearly in the firing line of the people shooting in the no-shooting area behind the 3rd lane.

How is the weather there? Did the snow stick?
Things don't really start to get dicey up there until a snow pack has formed, melted, and then frozen over. It doesn't look like overnight temps will get below freezing over the next few days with the freezing level well over 1,000 feet, so any snow up there will simply melt and not freeze over, hopefully. In the past, the most treacherous part of the trip, when the snow has frozen over, is actually on N. Wolf Creek, and that's usually only when you come across somebody who's stuck in the road and you've got to get past them. Slow and easy gets it done.

Things don't really start to get dicey up there until a snow pack has formed, melted, and then frozen over. It doesn't look like overnight temps will get below freezing over the next few days with the freezing level well over 1,000 feet, so any snow up there will simply melt and not freeze over, hopefully. In the past, the most treacherous part of the trip, when the snow has frozen over, is actually on N. Wolf Creek, and that's usually only when you come across somebody who's stuck in the road and you've got to get past them. Slow and easy gets it done.

Can attest to this. I tried to go around a fellow who had parked his pickup oddly in front of the first lane and when I tried to weasel passed him I got stuck in the snowy ditch opposite the lanes in my forester. thankfully Ol' boy that was getting drunk in that lane was sober enough to help me dig out!

He asked why I didn't ask him to move. I said man you seemed so F'd up I didn't want you in your truck!!

edit: I don't know whether to commend him for not throwing his empty beers and cigg butts into the lane or to chastise him for putting the empties back into his back seat! XD

Last Edited:
Forgot to mention, ran up there on Sunday, mid afternoon, just for a check, drove to lane 4 and left again.

Lane 1 or 2 had a little party going on with a fire by the barrier and a canopy, lane 3 was empty (seriously) and lane 4 had a 2-person team on it with some small calibre long guns. Seems the near freezing temps and a little snow around the sides of the roads was enough to keep the crowds out :)

Road is graded the whole way, but due to the time of year with water and vehicles passing, there are a few sections on the route with mini pot holes, some covering the width of the road and some lasting a few car lengths, take it easy and either weave around or drive slowly through, they're not very deep.

Forgot to mention, ran up there on Sunday, mid afternoon, just for a check, drove to lane 4 and left again.

Lane 1 or 2 had a little party going on with a fire by the barrier and a canopy, lane 3 was empty (seriously) and lane 4 had a 2-person team on it with some small calibre long guns. Seems the near freezing temps and a little snow around the sides of the roads was enough to keep the crowds out :)

Road is graded the whole way, but due to the time of year with water and vehicles passing, there are a few sections on the route with mini pot holes, some covering the width of the road and some lasting a few car lengths, take it easy and either weave around or drive slowly through, they're not very deep.

Not deep enough to ruin my poor baby Impreza sedan? I miss my Forester :/

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top