JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The majority of the responses here, and the Wolf Creek Committee on the Public Land Target Shooters forum, are in favor of removing the short berm at lane 4. We'll map that out today and see if we can get a hand shake over it.

To clarify the 200 - 400 yard range idea... I was referring to a different location, North of the existing Wolf Creek lanes, not located at the lanes. It just dawned on me that someone may be thinking I was talking about lane 4. No, lane 4 will remain at the existing yardage of 80 yrds.

Shoot yeah! You were on the trap rebuild! Cool!

The long range permanent targets are to be 1" AR500, about 2'x2', bolted to a base that is sunk underground in concrete. No bolts exposed, not chains, not posts.

The completion date depends on volunteer support. Most of the work could be done by volunteers and we'd have to buy the 3 steel targets and have them shipped to the site. Then we'd have to figure out how to pack them up to the installation location. There will also be some concrete mixing/pouring, but that can be done in a wheel barrow. Before that will be the removal of stumps, logs and debris, and forge a trail out to the 100 yard mark (no trail to the permanent targets).

We could actually get this done sometime this summer. Depends on the volunteer support and the funds we raise.
keep me posted on the this. I'm happy to bring some concrete, wheel Barrow, and a shovel 8nto the woods and do this, I'll pay my employee to help get it done also

So @Cogs and I met up with Randy with ODF today, toured the lanes, and visited the proposed new long range. It looks like we'll be moving forward on renovating/redesigning lane 4 which starts with Randy meeting with the ODF road service manager to get input on the leveling out of the right side of the lane up to the hillside, with luck, much of that work could be done by ODF. @Cogs will be reaching out to the contractors that helped out on the lane 2 & 3 refresh to coordinate being work should they be willing to do so. A lot of this will depend on what ODF can get done and funding for the rest, but we're hoping to have this done by late spring/early summer. We also went over concerns about people shooting behind the berms on lanes 1 & 2 and shooting into the hillside instead. This is not only an issue for erosion, but also poses a threat of lead contamination in the water table. The current idea is to run some roadwork safety webbing across the back of the lanes provided an obvious barrier to going beyond the berm, but hopefully something that won't be easy to hang targets on. At this point it's a cheap solution worth trying.

As for the proposed new long range, there is still a need to work up a final plan to be approved by ODF, but we're looking to try to get that done by the end of this summer, sooner if possible, but it's still too early to begin work on that right now, but soon. I would like to organize another clean-up for mid to late February, so let keep that in mind and I'll try to come up with a proposed date and time before the end of January. We could also plan a group visit to the new site, either as part of this, or at a separate time, but I'd like to plan a meeting up there with those who would be interested in helping to get that done.

@Cosimel @Cogs Ping me if anything needs help out there, can't commit to committee right now due to newborn, but hope to nab helping time when i can.
Will do, Thanks! As for the committee, it's mostly chat on the forum about what's going on and what we can do for each area, so, you're not committing to time in the field, just your input to help save, improve and preserve shooting in your favorite forest. As stuff comes up where we need some boots on the ground, that's up to you if you can make it. Family first!

When do you think this will be? Not sure if ill be free, got a text that ill be getting activated to give flu shots.

You National Guard?
The time frame on the new 200+ range depends on the volunteers and the scoop of work we can do, vs the funds and if we have to hire contractors or apply for a grant. The idea is that we do as much as possible to avoid having to get a grant. We will need to do a fundraiser to help purchase some of the materials, like the targets, concrete and so forth.

Our next step is to have a meeting at the site with all interested parties. From there, we could get a good handle on the overall project and what to do first. Steve or I will post up a date for that meeting soon.

Will do, Thanks! As for the committee, it's mostly chat on the forum about what's going on and what we can do for each area, so, you're not committing to time in the field, just your input to help save, improve and preserve shooting in your favorite forest. As stuff comes up where we need some boots on the ground, that's up to you if you can make it. Family first!

You National Guard?
The time frame on the new 200+ range depends on the volunteers and the scoop of work we can do, vs the funds and if we have to hire contractors or apply for a grant. The idea is that we do as much as possible to avoid having to get a grant. We will need to do a fundraiser to help purchase some of the materials, like the targets, concrete and so forth.

Our next step is to have a meeting at the site with all interested parties. From there, we could get a good handle on the overall project and what to do first. Steve or I will post up a date for that meeting soon.
Yes.
Have you thought of reaching out to any target manufacture to donate targets. Let them use the range for advertising putting in targets on public land?

Yes.
Have you thought of reaching out to any target manufacture to donate targets. Let them use the range for advertising putting in targets on public land?
Great thought! I spoke with a couple and no offers to donate. I did get a real good price from Rouge Targets out of Medford. I might try that angle of publicity. I always promote them with kudo's for their donations. Perhaps I can find a way to make it more worth their while.

Thanks!
Bill

Great thought! I spoke with a couple and no offers to donate. I did get a real good price from Rouge Targets out of Medford. I might try that angle of publicity. I always promote them with kudo's for their donations. Perhaps I can find a way to make it more worth their while.

Thanks!
Bill
I like local but maybe one of the bigger companies would do it. Sell is like "our target are tough enough for hundreds of thousands of rounds on a public range"

Thanks!
Bill
Dontating out of geracity is good but if they get an idea that they can make money off this means they can pass it off as an advertising expense.

Finding 1" plates or thicker to last is going to be the trick. Bill got a quote on 1" plate a while back. If anyone knows of manufacturers that make thicker targets, please post up. Most 50bmg rated are 3/4". Goal is to be able to last in the wild. Weight plays a factor to theft too.

Finding 1" plates or thicker to last is going to be the trick. Bill got a quote on 1" plate a while back. If anyone knows of manufacturers that make thicker targets, please post up. Most 50bmg rated are 3/4". Goal is to be able to last in the wild. Weight plays a factor to theft too.

I dont know much about 1" steel targets or 50bmg but I get all of my targets from here

They have coupon codes too.

I dont know much about 1" steel targets or 50bmg but I get all of my targets from here

They have coupon codes too.
Minnesota. Bummer. Still, I might approach them for a potential donation, however I don't think they are a manufacturer, but looks like more of a retail store.

Thanks for the lead!

PS: Hope all is well with you! Love your videos! Hope you keep producing some and perhaps we should work together to make one about how to shoot to save our shooting places. With your creative ideas, I bet we could put together something that has potential to send a positive message to the newbie shooters. Something to think about!
Bill

You National Guard?
Then I gotta say "Thank you SIR!" I really appreciate your dedication to serving our Country. You are a credit to this nation. I salute you!

Hope you stay safe! This is not the sort of thing I would expect the National Guard to get involved in. Keep your needle clean, your PPE fresh and your backside covered!

Thanks man!

You National Guard?

Then I gotta say "Thank you SIR!" I really appreciate your dedication to serving our Country. You are a credit to this nation. I salute you!

Hope you stay safe! This is not the sort of thing I would expect the National Guard to get involved in. Keep your needle clean, your PPE fresh and your backside covered!

Thanks man!
Yeah not why I originally joined but anything to get us back to "normal".

You National Guard?

Thanks man!
Jus looking forward to this range

I believe I threw this out a few years ago when we were first looking at this area for a long distance range and the idea of permanent steel targets was proposed. I've been using Thor Targets free standing steel targets, and even one of their gongs, for several years now and they've held up remarkably well. Their 'store front' is literally a LGS in Albany called . . . . wait for it . . . Thor Armory, but the steel targets themselves are made near Lebanon Oregon. As I recall, Thor Targets was started by a family own mental works company who, among other things, cut plate metal for industrial use with a plasma cutter. Since it's likely something 'custom' will be needed to get the security and longevity that we're looking, it might be worth reaching out to them.

Thor Targets

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top