JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, you're adjusting the red dot to fall on top of the bore laser. The latter is static in your bore.

Ok, now I'm a little confused.

I understand that the barrel isn't obviously the thing that's moving and that the reticle is being adjusted, but what I keep reading is that the way you adjust a red dot isn't by thinking of it as moving the reticle, but rather moving the point of impact. For example in the Romeo 5 XDR manual, it states that elevation and windage adjustment "move the point of impact..." a given way. If that's the case, wouldn't the approach be the same when laser bore sighting a rifle?

Ok, now I'm a little confused.

I understand that the barrel isn't obviously the thing that's moving and that the reticle is being adjusted, but what I keep reading is that the way you adjust a red dot isn't by thinking of it as moving the reticle, but rather moving the point of impact. For example in the Romeo 5 XDR manual, it states that elevation and windage adjustment "move the point of impact..." a given way. If that's the case, wouldn't the approach be the same when laser bore sighting a rifle?

I would think it moves the POI because you will aim the gun differently and the impact point will then change. They are not assuming the gun is static.

Oh I see what you're saying, and yes, whilst that's true, using a bore laser without firing, you can only align it to the bore at the distance you're currently at.

Once you start using bullets, the point of impact is where you can align it to.

I always have to concentrate when I think about this

Noobie question. When getting the red dot to match up with the laser, you're moving the point of impact (where the laser is hitting) to the red dot reticle and not the other way around, correct?

Thanks in advance.

You're "moving" the cross hairs TO the point of impact.

So if you POI is under the cross hair, you'd move the turret DOWN to the POI

I would think you don't even need to go to the range to do your initial zero with a laser bore sight. Just point the laser at a wall and line up the red dot. Also, with the laser it should be easier to see how the adjustments move the POI.

But yes, if the laser is below the red dot, and the manual says the adjustments move the POI, you would want to turn the adjustment up which visually visually moves the POI up, but it's physically moving the red dot down

OK great. Now I'm confused again.

Don't make me get a scope out

In actuality you are moving the reticle to the point of impact. You are right.

It seems for my red dot sight anyways, the way it's described in the manual, is that you are moving the point of impact. That's all I was saying. Of course it doesn't matter as long as you understand how the turrets are moving for either windage or elevation.

Today we did the cleanup at the Wolf Creek. I was only able to stick around and help clean up lanes 3 & 4, and I know others got pictures too, but here's the ones I grabbed while we were cleaning up at lanes 3 & 4:

Lane 4
20201205_093015_1k.jpg
We got three tires and a pickup truck+ of trash just from lane 4 itself. When we were ready to clean up the actual shooting lane, the guys that were shooting up there took a break, grabbed some bags, and lent us a hand.

Lane 3:
20201205_104233_1k.jpg
We got another whole pickup full of trash from lane 3. And as on lane 4, the guys that were shooting there took a break and lent us a hand. Here's the group of guys on lane 3.

And just a random extra picture I took while we were cleaning up:
20201205_092347_1k.jpg

:s0067: Thanks to everybody who came to help clean up, to our ad-hoc helpers who pitched in too, and to Cosimel who organized it. If any of you ad-hoc helpers are here on the forum, let us all know.

@Cosimel organized this adventure, and took some pictures too. I'm looking forward to seeing them (heck, I might even be in one of those pictures :))

So we had a clean up at lanes today, but we really only got to lanes 3 & 4 from which we removed 33 bags of trash, three tires, several plastic bins and a hamper, some various pieces of wood, and one really shot up 50 gallon drum lid. It filled two pick ups and the back of my Subaru. All of this off of just two lanes. I was able to get a quick look at lanes 1 & 2 earlier, and while they can certainly use some cleaning, they weren't anywhere near that bad. At least half of the trash taken off of both Lanes 3 & 4 appeared to be non-shooting related dumping. Mostly household trash.

This is what was just in the parking area on lane 3:
12-05-2020 Clean up-2.JPG

It wouldn't have been so bad, but it looks as though somebody tried to burn the pile and much had to be re=bagged.
12-05-2020 Clean up-3.JPG

And while less, we found pretty much the same household items dumped across from lane 4 (including a computer monitor and three tires).
12-05-2020 Clean up-5.JPG

We got in a quick group photo on lane 4 along with the two gentlemen already at the lane who proactively joined the clean up. Like the people on lane 3, everyone we meet out shooting today very much wanted to get involved in volunteer efforts at the lanes.
12-05-2020 Clean up-7.JPG

I'd like to thank everyone who showed up today to help, we got a lot done. In attendance was:

@srxfan
@patbob
@kbf64
@gryghin who loaded up his pick-up and did the first run to the Forest Grove Transfer Station with me
@F2CMaDMaXX who also loaded up his pick-up and did the second run to the transfer station
@ScarceResource
12-05-2020 Clean up-8.JPG

Hopefully I got everyone who was there today, if I missed anyone, or even got who did what wrong, please let us know, we're freakin heroes and everyone should know it :D

Excellent work today everyone, I love it when a plan comes together :)

Last Edited:
In actuality you are moving the reticle to the point of impact. You are right.

It seems for my red dot sight anyways, the way it's described in the manual, is that you are moving the point of impact. That's all I was saying. Of course it doesn't matter as long as you understand how the turrets are moving for either windage or elevation.

Now that you have the fundamentals down, put two small spots 1 3/4" apart on a piece of paper so that they are one over the other when you tape it to your wall. Stand back four or five feet and put the laser dot on the bottom spot and move your Red Dot to the top spot. This will have you on the paper at the range and adjust your Red Dot from there.

Thanks everyone for helping today, and, um, @Cosimel uh, sorry, i butchered your post trying to fix the pictures.... If you send them to me, i'll fix it properly.

Also, big thanks to @srxfan for letting me storm trooper with his VP9 long-slide :oops: gotta get out and practise more, seems quarantining affects your aim, in a bad way :mad:

Last Edited:
Actually, the post looks fine. I can't seem to figure out how to insert photos without getting them posted twice, so whatever you did, it seems to have worked out.
Yeah i fixed that part, but it stupidly couldn't handle the right pictures, so what's left are the small ones that don't get any bigger when you click on them :( If you PM me the pics i'll replace the ones in the post with them instead.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top