JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know how it happened. Someone wasn't paying attention. Listen to the traffic reports and notice where wrecks are. ( "Accident" indicates something that couldn't be helped) The huge majority of wrecks are in areas that are straight, wide, and on dry roads with good lighting. People don't take the responsibility serious anymore. Or their just stoopid and maybe should be eliminated from the gene pool.
I wonder if those poeple u hope to eliminate from the gene pool are fellow users of the NF wolf creek shooting area? Heck it could be a member here for all we know. They may be good people, who knows (I have no idea who they are/were)? I would not be so quick to judge. It's a tragedy. I've only been there twice but I know traffic is moving very fast there and you have to be really on your guard to do a u turn safely (if that's what they were doing). I saw a light blue SUV up there one time and talked to those folks as we were all looking for a place to shoot with it being so crowded there and they were good people. I hope it's not them.

Last Edited:
I wonder if those poeple u hope to eliminate from the gene pool are fellow users of the NF wolf creek shooting area? Heck it could be a member here for all we know. They may be good people, who knows (I have no idea who they are/were)? I would not be so quick to judge. It's a tragedy. I've only been there twice but I know traffic is moving very fast there and you have to be really on your guard to do a u turn safely (if that's what they were doing). I saw a light blue SUV up there one time and talked to those folks as we were all looking for a place to shoot with it being so crowded there and they were good people and I hope it's not them.

First of all, I don't intend to eliminate anyone from the roads.

I certainly hope who ever the inattentive driver was doesn't slam into someone in a situation where there was nothing they could do about it. That's the worst possible scenario But the people that think it's okay to text and drive, and other such dumb behavior, when they are behind the wheel of several thousand pound of steel, plastic and rubber, need to be off the roads. I see the behavior most every time I'm behind the wheel. Some how over the years too many people on our roads and highways don't consider the number one priority when there behind the wheel is to maintain control of that vehicle.

Some more details about the accident coming out now. It was a 4 runner after all which means it's not the folks I talked to (I meant that more of we don't know it could be a neighbor or someone u know, could be anybody, but at same time could be those same folks also) Portland man killed in crash on Highway 26 near Timber

Thats pretty much the exact spot one would do a uturn if u miss the turnoff. I know cuz I did it the second time I went there. I had to remind myself to check, double, and triple check before pulling out of the trailhead parking lot there cuz lots of traffic both ways and the downhill traffic was going very fast. So I could see how this could happen. One missed vehicle is all it takes.

Last Edited:
Some more details about the accident coming out now. It was a 4 runner after all which means it's not the folks I talked to (I meant that more of we don't know it could be a neighbor or someone u know, could be anybody, but at same time could be those same folks also) Portland man killed in crash on Highway 26 near Timber

Thats pretty much the exact spot one would do a uturn if u miss the turnoff. I know cuz I did it the second time I went there. I had to remind myself to check, double, and triple check before pulling out of the trailhead parking lot there cuz lots of traffic both ways and the downhill traffic was going very fast. So I could see how this could happen. One missed vehicle is all it takes.
From the sounds of it, it wasn't a u-turn, he somehow drifted into oncoming traffic.

This could happen for a million different reasons...

Dropped a lit cigarette
Spilled hot coffee
Adjusting the radio
Texting while driving
Driving while drowsy
Swerved to avoid road debris

There are also just as many reasons it might not have been due to careless or reckless behavior.

Loss of consciousness
Diabetic shock
Heart attack
Stroke or seizure
Stung by a bee

That last one is no joke, either. I got stung in the throat by a honeybee that bounced off my cheek and fell into my helmet when out riding. He somehow managed to cling onto the chin strap, but was kind enough to wait until I stopped before stinging me.... :eek:

Knowing what my natural reaction is to being stung (which must look absolutely hilarious to any casual observers :p), had I been moving at the time I almost certainly would have crashed. I can see the same outcome easily happening regardless of vehicle.

The problem with these scenarios is that it's obviously the trauma from the crash that likely killed him, so how hard do they look for possible medical reasons during the investigation?

Odds are that the actual cause will never be known.

Wife and I were up shooting right after accident happened. We were behind a state trooper when he turned on his lights and headed to crash. We heard sirens going by as we set up first on lane 3, then on 4 as two gentlemen left.
I was in the red f150.

In all honesty, I'm more concerned about being in an accident on HWY 26 than anything happening on the lanes, especially since I usually try to get to the lanes before sunrise. I was up on lane 3 last Thursday morning around 6 am and the fog was so thick I almost missed the turn off to the lanes on N. Wolf Creek Rd. That was some white knuckle time between the Vernonia intersection and the turn off onto Wolf Creek Rd.

Last Edited:
In all honesty, I'm more concerned about being in an accident on HWY 26 than anything happening on the lanes, especially since I usually try to get to the lanes before sunrise. I was up on lane 3 last Thursday morning around 6 am and the fog was so thick I almost missed the turn off to the lanes on N. Wolf Creek Rd. That was some white knuckle time between the Vernonia intersection and the turn off onto Wolf Creek Rd.

Been there, done that! But it was heading down to fish or clam, years ago.

If we want to organize an official clean up day, what does that take? I'm planning a trip out there next week and I'm bringing a box of bags.

Wish we could trust a job site locker or something out there, but I know it'd be gone the first night

If we want to organize an official clean up day, what does that take? I'm planning a trip out there next week and I'm bringing a box of bags.

Wish we could trust a job site locker or something out there, but I know it'd be gone the first night
You can always do a non official clean up. Just post up a date and time and ask for volunteers.

ODF isn't really up for sponsoring official clean ups right now due to Covid.

Thanks, Lasers. Reno is right, ODF doesn't want group events at this time. There are many people on this forum who value that place and continue to help with routine maintenance. At this time, we're covering the cost of disposal ourselves as we can.

I'm currently organizing a shooters committee for Wolf Creek Lanes and the McGregor Basin. That committee would monitor, report conditions, schedule large and small cleanups, work with ODF officials and make recommendations for improvements. @Cosimel will be the committee Director to help get it started. (We'll be forming these committees in other areas as well).

I'll make the formal introduction to the Shooters Committee soon. Till then, give it some thought on if you'd like to be a part of it.

Thanks,
Bill

That sounds amazing and I'd love to be involved. I'm local to the area and have introduced at least 50 people to the lanes as it's rare to find me shooting elsewhere!

The guys that regularly join me now have also taken up stewardship and we always pack more out than in, although lately it feels like a losing battle.

I think we can get the ball rolling on a non-formal clean-up and use the opportunity to recruit members of our respective committee. Some advance consideration needs to be give to disposal, we can all probably absorb a modest amount in our own personal trash services, but hopefully we can arrange access to a ODF dumpster. But if needed a quick collection should cover a commercial dump. Also, rounding the corner on Thanksgiving with new restrictions need to be accounted for. I'd suggest we tentatively aim for the first weekend in December, weather allowing, for our impromptu clean-up.

I'll be heading up early on the 24th. Gonna bring the shovel and see if I can't continue a bit of Cosimel's work on the pot holes (after I get my shooting in lol).
Any effort will be appreciated, but having already gone after it with several shovels, I'm dubious of what a shovel alone can accomplish. Good new though, I'd just received an email update from Randy with ODF who said they will try to get to it next week, but it'll probably be the week of 11/30-12/5. I know we've been told 'real soon' before, but my gut tells me it'll be fixed before our clean up, if not, that would be a good time to see if we could collectively improve it some.

View attachment 780025

Good news everyone, I was just up at the lanes this morning and ODF indeed has been by to repair the road. It's hard to say if they are finished, I suspect they'll be back to lay down a layer of gravel since it appears they only filled in the ruts with earth. But it's way, way better, probably the best condition I've ever seen it in. There is a 100 foot section of Wolf Creek Rd it's self in the area where the gated turn off for logging that has most new people confusing for the turn off to the lanes is currently one big long muddy slip n' slide, so be careful of your speed on Wolf Creek Rd. While it's not great news, there doesn't seem to be any trash on the lanes that's really big, mostly a whole lot of bag worthy crap to be picked up.

93618068_3705919662816648_5328266307781525504_n.png

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top