JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's a Romeo 5 XDR. It's .5 MOA.

The reason I went with 50 yards is just based on what I've read online about sighting in a rifle. It wasn't specific to red dots I guess. Would 25 yards be more appropriate?

I think I'd be starting at 50'? Or even less and work my way out. Getting "On Paper" first can be difficult if your paper isn't 6' across.

The reason I went with 50 yards is just based on what I've read online about sighting in a rifle. It wasn't specific to red dots I guess. Would 25 yards be more appropriate?

Nothing at all wrong with sighting in at 50yd on AR platform with a red dot. Some folks' eyes don't go out that far or they don't plan on shooting that far with a red dot. If you have an idea what type of shooting you'll do with the gun, that will guide what distance you sight in at. I sight in my eotech at 50/200 and I know where I'm at from across the room to 400yd. Lots of folks sight in for 36yd and call it good out to 300yd on man-sized targets.

Your 50 yard zero will be your 200 yard zero so yes sight in at 50. Mikej has a good point it will be hard if your off paper with your situation. I would suggest hitting The English Pit in Camas, great range for sighting in rifles. They have 50 and 100 yard rifle, you'll be seated, and they have a spotting scope at each range. $20 entry will be cheaper than your drive to wolf. Plus, always helpful people to give you hand spotting your sight in if your solo. I picked up a cheap vortex monocular that is good enough to see .223 holes at 50 yards on paper for when no scope is available. Also a cheap bi pod works just fine for this situation, can be had for $25 or so on Amazon.

Your 50 yard zero will be your 200 yard zero so yes sight in at 50. Mikej has a good point it will be hard if your off paper with your situation. I would suggest hitting The English Pit in Camas, great range for sighting in rifles. They have 50 and 100 yard rifle, you'll be seated, and they have a spotting scope at each range. $20 entry will be cheaper than your drive to wolf. Plus, always helpful people to give you hand spotting your sight in if your solo. I picked up a cheap vortex monocular that is good enough to see .223 holes at 50 yards on paper for when no scope is available. Also a cheap bi pod works just fine for this situation, can be had for $25 or so on Amazon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

What version of the vortex monocular do you have btw?

Thanks for the suggestions.

What version of the vortex monocular do you have btw?

I have this:

"Vortex Solo 10x25mm Waterproof Monocular - 644010, Monoculars at Sportsman's Guide" https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/vortex-solo-10x25mm-waterproof-monocular?a=1864868

I had a $25 gift card to use up plus I have the buyers club membership there so it came out to like $48 I think for me...check around you can probably find a better price than this or maybe something a bit better used.

Are lanes 1 and 2 at least 25 yards?

Just a couple comments. Zeroing at shorter ranges is common. Because range time is always in high demand, shooters don't always have the luxury of zeroing weapons at true distances. You can get a 50 or a 100 yard zero on a 10 yard range or on a 25 yard range. The trick is downloading the right target. If you google "10 yard zero" or "25 yard zero" you will find special targets and videos that will explain the process of zeroing at shorter ranges. Zeroing at a shorter distance can be helpful to newer shooters. It's easier to see the closer target and it's easier "to get on paper" when you are shooting at shorter distances. Getting on paper quickly is important because it saves bullets, time and pride. Next comment, when you zero your weapon, ideally you are doing it from a bench (seated at a table) or in the prone position. Bench and prone are extremely "stable" positions that can give you greater precision as you fire to zero your weapon. Wolf Creek is a great place to shoot from the bench, assuming you have a table and chair that will raise your rifle about the concrete barriers. Shooting from the prone is much more challenging at Wolf Creek because of the crowds, the mud and the barriers. I shot all summer with my kids, and we were only able to shoot prone at Wolf Creek once, again because of the crowds, the mud and the barriers. Because I wanted the kids to shoot prone, sitting, and kneeling, we eventually stopped going to Wolf Creek and did most of our shooting at Salmon Berry. If you are going to zero at Wolf Creek, you might consider borrowing a table and a portable chair to bench zero your weapon.

Just a couple comments. Zeroing at shorter ranges is common. Because range time is always in high demand, shooters don't always have the luxury of zeroing weapons at true distances. You can get a 50 or a 100 yard zero on a 10 yard range or on a 25 yard range. The trick is downloading the right target. If you google "10 yard zero" or "25 yard zero" you will find special targets and videos that will explain the process of zeroing at shorter ranges. Zeroing at a shorter distance can be helpful to newer shooters. It's easier to see the closer target and it's easier "to get on paper" when you are shooting at shorter distances. Getting on paper quickly is important because it saves bullets, time and pride. Next comment, when you zero your weapon, ideally you are doing it from a bench (seated at a table) or in the prone position. Bench and prone are extremely "stable" positions that can give you greater precision as you fire to zero your weapon. Wolf Creek is a great place to shoot from the bench, assuming you have a table and chair that will raise your rifle about the concrete barriers. Shooting from the prone is much more challenging at Wolf Creek because of the crowds, the mud and the barriers. I shot all summer with my kids, and we were only able to shoot prone at Wolf Creek once, again because of the crowds, the mud and the barriers. Because I wanted the kids to shoot prone, sitting, and kneeling, we eventually stopped going to Wolf Creek and did most of our shooting at Salmon Berry. If you are going to zero at Wolf Creek, you might consider borrowing a table and a portable chair to bench zero your weapon.

Are there any advantages to shooting at Salmon Berry or is Wolf Creek the better place to zero / shoot for a newbie?

Also doesn't zeroing at shorter range just mean that you have to consider MOA at distances less than 50 yards? What's special about it?

Having said that, I'll do some research as you suggested and take a look at the 10/25 yard zero targets.

Are there any advantages to shooting at Salmon Berry or is Wolf Creek the better place to zero / shoot for a newbie?

Also doesn't zeroing at shorter range just mean that you have to consider MOA at distances less than 50 yards? What's special about it?

Having said that, I'll do some research as you suggested and take a look at the 10/25 yard zero targets.

Either spots will work for setting a zero.

If you think about bullet trajectory, the bullet has to rise about 2.5" from the muzzle to reach the sight line of most ar optics.

If your zero is 50 yards, that means at 10 or 25 yards, your bullet will impact an inch or inch and a half low, since it hasn't made it 'up' to the zero yet.

A 10 yard target, for a 50/200 zero has one spot where you aim, and a spot about 1.5" lower for where you adjust your impact. A quick google search will explain it better and you should be able to find printable targets.

Are lanes 1 and 2 at least 25 yards?

Also are the barriers low enough as to not obstruct view and ability to shoot off of a small table?
You can set up a table and shoot over the barriers. The barriers are 3 ft high. I'd put the table right up against the barrier, not way back. Also, you need to put the target in front of the berm, not on top or the upper half.

Lane 1 is 24 yds, Lane 2 is 28, 3 is 60 and 4 is 80. You should be able to see they yardage on the google maps link.

North Fork Wolf Creek Public Range

Maybe, depending where you are in Portland, we could meet and I'd loan you my laser bore sighter. I'm not sure how close to being on paper a red dot sight comes out of the box? Trying to find paper out at 50+ yard could be a real issue? All I've used it on so far is an old Lyman Alaskan that I put on an AK47. That really needed it. I'm in NE PDX South of the airport a couple three miles.

Maybe, depending where you are in Portland, we could meet and I'd loan you my laser bore sighter. I'm not sure how close to being on paper a red dot sight comes out of the box? Trying to find paper out at 50+ yard could be a real issue? All I've used it on so far is an old Lyman Alaskan that I put on an AK47. That really needed it. I'm in NE PDX South of the airport a couple three miles.

One of my Romeo5's was about 3 feet right one time, and my Holosun 403B was about 4 inches both out of the box... definitely wasted some ammo finding that sig haha...a spotter definitely helps.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, info and the offer of help from Mikej. I have no idea how to use a laser bore sighter but, I really appreciate the offer and if for whatever reason I can't figure out how to zero my AR the traditional way, I'll maybe take you up on that.

Anyhow, I've read all the posts and did some more research. I think I have a much better idea of what distance I should be zeroing at and how to go about doing it.

Sorry folks, another noobie question.

So I've noticed that the distance adjusted targets, e.g. 25 yard for 50 yard zero, are sometimes optimized for a given ammo type. For example, 5.56 is what these printable targets I found online are supposedly optimized for, but what I have on hand at the moment is mostly 223. Is that a concern?

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, info and the offer of help from Mikej. I have no idea how to use a laser bore sighter but, I really appreciate the offer and if for whatever reason I can't figure out how to zero my AR the traditional way, I'll maybe take you up on that.

So easy a Cave Man could figure it out. I did too!

I used it in my back yard on a cloudy day where I could get about 60' or so before I went to the out door range.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top